.224 valkyrie barrels??

rudymontana

Looking to get a .224 Valkyrie barrel for my Ruger Precision rifle. Anyone know if Ruger or someone can make a barrel for this rifle. Also would I have to replace or get a new bolt since this cartridge is based off 6.8 or 30 Remington ? My existing rifle is 223. Rudy

You could get the bolt face opened up. .223 has a .378" , 6.8SPC has a .422" bolt face.
Any particular reason you want the .224V over a .22-250?

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaLooking to get a .224 Valkyrie barrel for my Ruger Precision rifle. Anyone know if Ruger or someone can make a barrel for this rifle. Also would I have to replace or get a new bolt since this cartridge is based off 6.8 or 30 Remington ? My existing rifle is 223. Rudy

You might want to wait and see if they come out with one. No one wants to build 6.8 based guns at that factory level in the bolt because of the odd size case and quite frankly a lack of interest in the cartridge parent in that platform. There are way to many options out there that are better and currently produced for them to waste, in their opinion, their resources on.

Greg

I agree with GL. The 6.8 shines best in an AR so there is not any appeal to it in a bolt action per say. I turned a Savage Edge from a 308 to a 6.8 and its fun but kinda pointless.

If you don't reload i can kinda see the .224V in a bolt action but if you do reload the .22-250 with a fast twist barrel shooting the heavy bullets makes more since.

Its called Advertisements....
Ive got a 26" 22-250 9 Twist and it shoots 80gr Bergers at 3200FPS.
Compare that to the .224V 90GR SMK load the .22-250 80gr berger load shoots 84" flatter at 1000 yards for comparison if thats your thing.
Now if you were to load the 90Gr SMK in a .22-250 everything changes. Cant make a fair comparison since the .224V was designed for a AR platform from the magazine.

I'm sure it will have it's place in the AR platform, more interesting to me running something in the 70-75gr range or necked down to 20 depending what case capacity is, something g between a 20-250 and 204.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeI'm sure it will have it's place in the AR platform, more interesting to me running something in the 70-75gr range or necked down to 20 depending what case capacity is, something g between a 20-250 and 204.

We've had the 22X6.8 around for a long time for slinging that weight bullet and it does it post haste down range. It is easily out running the V. without even a strain

Greg

Its got a cool name, I'm sure that will help selling it to some.
thumbup1.gif

These new cartridges are pretty much aimed at those that can't reload IMHO. Like GL said, BHW has been making it's ballistic twin for years...

224 is interesting for an AR15... in a bolt gun the 22 creedmoor is the way I'd go to shoot heavy 22s really fast. And they are inherently accurate as well.

Originally Posted By: MPFDThese new cartridges are pretty much aimed at those that can't reload IMHO. Like GL said, BHW has been making it's ballistic twin for years...

That is true. I think it is good cuz many shooters, especially new ones, do not reload. Also, there are many new shooters that live in urban areas. They have limited access to a range for load development and no place for a setup in their apartment. These new calibers help to keep their interest up. The more shooters we have and more money they spend the more people and resources to fight for gun rights.

I like the 224 Valkyrie idea, it seems like a they optimized the case capacity and length for long bullets in an ar length magazine. A couple years ago I accidentally bought a bolt carrier group that had a 6.8 bolt face and I haven’t been able to decide what to do with it until the Valkyrie came out. I don’t think it would be worth your time in a bolt action rifle.

Back