Broken Arrow!

Yellowhammer

Staff member
In military lingo that is means "We are over run! Dump the close in artillery!"

In t his case it was what was sticking out of this boars shoulder when I shot him this morning. Somebody on my lease must have taken an ill advised quartering towards shot with a mechanical Broadhead.

The 60 grain v-max dumped him in his tracks. But he had to be hurting for a while.

39166049335_7369004011_z_d.jpg

You can see the piece of aluminum arrow sticking out in front of the shoulder.

39166047165_12280ab670_z_d.jpg

40032237462_26c8e8d284_z_d.jpg

When I got home I did a little surgury. Looks like it was a NAP spitfire mechanical head. The bloodied part below the arrow is where the 60 max was under the skin after coming in from the other side. I had to get a pair of pliers to pull it out. All kinds of bone chips came of of the wound too.

28285375919_211885177a_z_d.jpg

I pulled this picture from my game camera, and you can see the end of the arrow sticking out.

40032948002_44eb8985e4_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
Now that pretty cool. The arrow that is, not the suffering part. They may be a nuisance and destructive, still don't like to see an animal suffer like that.

Cool story. Saw the title and made me think of the Mel Gibson movie "We Were Soldiers". Nice boar.

Dang! One thing about hogs, they can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. I've shot three-legged hogs, hogs with broadheads in them, and hogs with bullets in them. I even killed a hog once that had evidence of a broken back. He ran kinda sideways, but was still motoring around on all fours until I shot him. Tough critters.

Originally Posted By: AdamTCool story. Saw the title and made me think of the Mel Gibson movie "We Were Soldiers". Nice boar.

Or there was the movie Broken Arrow with John Travolta and Christian Slater. Their term "broken arrow" meant a lost nuke.

Uggg... mechanical heads, got no use for them personally. Though shoulder shooting hogs with archery gear doesn't sound like a good strategy whatever you're using.

That to me is the perfect way and place to shoot a hog. Would have thought that arrow would have put him down. I am not a Bow hunter myself. Always thought the Cowboys had a better idea.

Back