Wisconsin Folks-Scanning Resolution-WAAAAAAHOOOOOO!!

Thanks Moosetrot, Although I hunt in MN, no one needs a license here for coyotes and out of staters need nothing also. I would love to hunt in WI, I live just across the river from La Crosse, but WI wants not ONLY a small game but a fur bearer too. Thank you MN for not scalping out of staters.
Keep up the good work. Hope it passes, then pass night vision also.

Any update on this? The spring hearings are April 8th, and I saw the question list and didn't see a scanning question on there. I did see one regarding a definition of a 'flashlight' to include gun mounted lights..

I answered part of my own question... I read back and saw the scanning question was last year... The flashlight is this year...

Things like this are going to get a lot easier soon. The WI DNR's furbearer ecologist, John Olsen, is going to be retiring in the very near future. Last I heard it will be in March. I'm not trying to knock the guy personally, but I know a lot of people are fed up with the heavy handed over the top, sometimes arbitrary rules that he has promoted. Some in the trapping community are about at their wits end with the guy.

I realize that the scanning thing would require the legislature to make a statutory change, but if the WI DNR (John Olsen) is against any proposed bill it sure makes things harder.

Guys, bringing this back from the dead, as it's been a while since we've seen an update.

I've been in contact with Joel Kleefisch over the past 2 years trying to find out if and when they are going to propose legislation to allow for scanning in WI. Here is his response:

"wE have moved such large inititives in hunting and fishing, I haven't gotten to predator hunting. It's still on the radar. There are nuances of IR versus red lights versus thermal, which all need to be sorted out. I'd like to see baiting for coyotes too. "

Find him on Facebook or via email and let's see if we can put some pressure on them to finally address. Or, if you can email your rep to get them on board, go for it!! We've been patient and this has just been dragging on.

Another scanning resolution was passed by the Conservation Congress in May of 2017. Layed in the weeds for a while hoping it was going to quietly go through the process. About 6 months ago I emailed one of folks in the WDNR to try to find out the status and have not gotten a thing back. Been going through some interesting times in my life with and employment and a recent hip replacement so have not been very active in such things.

While I have disagreed with some things Kleefisch has done, we need a legislator to pick this up and run with it. He seems to be one of the "git 'er done"" legislators so would agree with Tuffdaddy that contacts to him would do the most good. I would assume that the IR vs colored light issue may be what is slowing this up. It has the support of the hunting public as well as the Conservation Congress so if we can get Kleefisch to take it the next step it would be good.

Been at this so long I am hoping we can see it come to reality before I am 6 ft. under!

Moosetrot

Back