Pulsar Stream Vision or other secondary viewing options

Greyhunter

A couple buddies and I are wanting to buy thermals and I have played with thermal but never as a weapons sight. The idea of scanning through the scope for 15-30 minutes on a stand does not sound fun but we also don't have the funds for scopes and scanners off the bat. Honestly, mashing a handheld scanner against my face for 15-30 minutes doesn't sound fun either.
Pulsar has their Stream Vision app for a smartphone, which if you had the phone mounted to a tripod leg, seems like it would work pretty well for scanning as you panned the rifle back and forth on a good tripod. It also seems much easier on the eyes to be able to use both eyes to watch the screen. Has anyone tried this? Does the Stream Vision app work well?
Is remote viewing possible on other brands besides Pulsar, even if by wire?
Setting aside the safety benefits of a separate scanner, is there a reason this would not work well?

I'm just getting started with mine... played with the stream vision for just a few minutes... it seemed to drag and delay some, it was not fluid.

Of course now I have not messed with it much but plan on when I get back out.

I think skinney recently posted in the battery issue thread that he runs an I phone 6 on stand. Maybe he will see your post and respond on how they use it, but pretty sure he is using IRD-Trij. My main concern would be how much light it back splashed on you, but his outfit is a coyote killing machine, so it must not bother the way they use it. You might PM him as well.

I thought about being backlit by the phone screen, but running in white hot should reduce that quite a bit and my phone screen will dim down pretty low. I don't know how much of an issue it would be? Just seem way more comfortable to watch a screen with both eyes than to look through a view finder.

I have not done this yet with the StreamVision App, but will be trying it soon. I did try this method using a different digital scope, and it worked. It isn't ideal if you are scanning a large area and FOV of the scope comes into play as well. It doesn't help you find calling locations, help with figuring out your setup, etc. In my opinion, a scanner is better and more versatile but you use what you can. In my setup, I used an iPhone. Things to do or set. Turn your screen brightness down (of use night mode), turn off your screen timeout settings or your screen may go black during stand, and have a battery pack. iPhone batteries are notorious in cold weather so keep it fully charged, and in your pocket on the way to and from stands.

In the past I used a phone holding arm. I attached it to the tripod leg, but didn't like this solution. I now use a magnet system to connect. Up until recently the StreamVision app for my iPhone was not stable enough to run this configuration. However, with recent updates to the scope and StreamVision, I believe it might be feasible now. I have heard Android users have been more successful previously but it is much improved for me recently. If a hunting buddy comes with me and doesn't have a gun, I plan to mount it this way, and he can scan with the tripod and gun while I use my scanner so he doesn't just have to sit there waiting for my signal or look through the scope for 15+ minutes continuously on a stand.

I like some type of magnet system to attach the phone to the tripod. This allows you to use this for other items as well as allow for quick connect/disconnect in the field. If you purchase a bicycle or handlebar type magnet mount, it should work on the top of a tripod leg as shown below. I stick the magnet connectors to my phone as well as my FoxPro remote so I can have the remote handy at all times as well. I have run the remote this way and really like it. It has been so cold recently I have had my hands in a muff with a hand warmer, and only bring my hand out when switching sounds, etc. I have the battery pouch connected via Velcro.

bipod1.jpg
bipod2.jpg

bipod3.jpg

bipod4.jpg

Another thought I had was using a running arm band to help connect phone to the tripod leg. Not sure if you can get the band small enough but I really like the magnet option. I wouldn't carry the phone attached to the leg, but it works great for quick connect/disconnect.

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterHonestly, mashing a handheld scanner against my face for 15-30 minutes doesn't sound fun either.
Some people report bad headaches and night blindness after using a monocular for scanning. Thankfully, it has not been an issue for me even after an entire night of scanning. The only thing that I have had a little bit of issue is if I am a little sweaty, the lens of the monocular can fog up some. Another tip on scanning is I purchased an extendable selfie stick and use this all the time. It takes so much wear and tear away from your arm and shoulder. I know it sounds silly but I wouldn't want to scan without it.

Kirsch- your set up was pretty much exactly what I was envisioning, looks great. You haven't had a chance to actually try this out in the field yet, correct? Thanks for posting the pics. It seems like 2 guys set up that way could pretty easily cover a pretty large area. Even alone, I generally have a pretty good idea where the critters will be coming from so I don't have to scan 360 degrees.
Can the USB port be used for real time video out? And if you can, I assume that would eliminate the ability to run an extra battery pack? That seems like a problem, because both the phone and the scope are probably going to need external power to run in the cold. Wireless video out would solve that.

The Trail series has a pretty large rechargeable battery pack onboard and an even larger spare can be had. I think Kirsch's setup has the larger battery pack shown. Don't know about the video out portion.

With the trail series, you don’t need a video out. The video is captured internally with the scope or can also be stored to the phone. Video files are large, so I would recommend the scope which is the default because it has lots of room for about four hours of video.

Last year I used an ATN with a similar configuration and sent the screen to their obsidian app. It is virtually the same concept, so should work just fine. I plan to hunt tonight by myself. However, I will hook it up on a stand and try it just to see how well it works in cold weather.

As far as batteries, you have three options. The scope comes with an 8 hour battery, you can purchase additional 8 hour or 20 hour batteries, or you can connect the scope up to an external battery pack. Doubleup is correct, the picture is showing the 20 hour battery pack. If you are in cold-weather, the 8 hour probably gets you 5-6 hours and a 20 hour probably about 14 hours of continuous use. Due to this, I don’t run an external battery pack for the pulsar trails. The screen image is sent via a wireless connection, so there are no cords from the scope to the phone.

I hunt coyotes in very wide open country. Although I typically know where they’re coming from, they can always surprise a person. The monocular works better for that situation. For people who have tighter shooting lanes or less area to scan, this scenario could work. I am confident two people could cover an area with this set up. I will let you know more tomorrow how it worked.

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMNice Night Stalker Kirsch!
tt1.gif

Pretty neat set-up too!
thumbup1.gif

A great company makes/sells the Night Stalker. Keep up the great work, and I can’t wait to try your new rotating tripod head.

Sounds like the extended battery would be plenty for my uses.
As far as the video out, I was meaning if the Stream View wasn't working well or not real-time enough, then is it possible to run real time video out of the scope via a cord to another device? I assume the Stream View requires a decent cellular signal? Or another brand of thermal such as Flir that doesn't use Stream View, is there a way to get live video out to another device with those?
I'm still in the shopping phase and one of the things I liked about the Pulsars was the option to live stream video to another viewing device (also like the picture in picture). So I guess the point of this thread is to see if that is actually a viable feature and if there are ways to do it with other brands of scopes.
I appreciate all your input!

I don't know if there is a way to get video out of the Trails without StreamVision. It would be a great question for Pulsar but then you are worrying about another device to record, and more equipment to mess with.

I tried using the scope as a scanner on the first stand last night. First, a wider FOV on my Pulsar would be nice if I was going to use it in this fashion. I run the XQ38 and would probably opt for the XP line for this. I ran this sitting with my tripod, but it would have probably made for better viewing if I had been standing. Now for the not so good things.

I lost connection to my ViewFinder one time during the stand. No big deal, just hit Open again and it was back up but it was alarming. The screen was OK. Lag wasn't bad but as I swept back and forth, the image was not as clear as in the scope. I was using my monocular as well, and saw 3 coyotes heading my way. Pulled up my scope and it was locked up. This hasn't ever happened to me with the Trail before. I quickly removed the battery, put it back in, and restarted it. With all the movement, I may have spooked the coyotes as they never finished like the rest of the coyotes did later in the evening. It was -7 during this test, so messing around with the extra battery pack, swinging the gun, the extra equipment, made me very happy to go back to 100% monocular. The solution could work and Pulsar has the technology which could really help if it is 99%+ reliable. It will be as reliable as your connection to StreamVision. Mine is better than it used to be but still not ready for prime time on my set up at least not at these temps and my shaky connection with my iPhone to Stream Vision. Hope this helps.

Actually it does help. Opens up my options for scope manufacturer, and surely someone offers a reliable video out solution? As awesome as thermal technology is, I can't imagine that squinting through a view finder is an enjoyable way to hunt coyotes. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it would be?

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterI can't imagine that squinting through a view finder is an enjoyable way to hunt coyotes. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it would be?
It is so much fun, I almost don't like to hunt them in the day time any more. I know ATN has the Obsidian app that has similar functionality as far as streaming. Other manufacturers may have a video out, and then you need to work out an external monitor solution. The issue with Pulsar/StreamVision could be my phone. You could always rent one and then try it with your phone and test it before making the plunge. The setup however of the magnet to the tripod works awesome to mount your phone, call remote, or whatever device you may need (as long as it doesn't have an issue with a magnet). Magnet
tripod.jpg

Man I just need to bite the bullet and buy one. Why do you say the XP line would be better, do they have a wider field of view?

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterMan I just need to bite the bullet and buy one. Why do you say the XP line would be better, do they have a wider field of view?
Yes, one of the major differences is FOV plus the image will look cleaner/more detailed. Here is a chart I put together in the past when people were trying to decide on a Pulsar. The XP38 gives you the widest FOV in the Trail series.

MODEL____PRICE___MAG____CORE_____FOV___DETECT
Trail XP50: $4999: 1.6x-12:(640 core): 12.4x9.3: 1800m
Trail XP38: $4449: 1.2x-9.6:(640 core): 16.3x12.3: 1350m
Trail XQ50: $3799: 2.7x-10.8:(384 core): 7.5x5.6: 1800m
Trail XQ38: $3299: 2.1x-8.4: (384 core): 9.8x7.4: 1350m
Trail XQ30: $2799: 1.6x-4 (384 core): 12.4x9.3: 900m

Comparison:
Trail XQ38: $3299: 2.1x-8.4: (384 core): 9.8x7.4: 1350m
Trail XP38: $4449: 1.2x-9.6:(640 core): 16.3x12.3: 1350m

The Trail XP38 has almost twice the field of view as the XQ. This is a big debate between people. I personally like the higher mag on the scope and wider FOV on the scanner, but everyone is different. With the PIP functionality of the Pulsar, this helps alleviate the need for a higher base magnification of the scope.

Back