what gun cleaner? Rifle.

you eliminator fans do you use just the normal eliminator for carbon/copper or their specialty stuff for each one? I ran out of solvent so getting ready to pick some up but only want to make one trip. My guns got about 400-500 223rem v max rounds through it so im sure its pretty nasty cause its only ever seen hopps #9.

Also, i found 4oz and 16oz bottles. does this stuff need a lot to clean or just a little bit?

I use both but if I was only going to use one it would be Eliminator.
It goes pretty far.
I buy it in 16 oz but I shoot quite a bit and clean fairly often.

My .338 WM has the typical Savage "rough but superbly accurate" barrel. Superbly accurate but fouls heavily.

Recently got a Lyman bore scope and Sharp ShootR CARB OUT, PATCH OUT’,& ‘TACTICAL ADVANTAGE to try. Have been using WIPE OUT foam for some time and will compare WIPE OUT to Patch Out later, but for now concentrating on CARB OUT & TACTICAL ADVANTAGE.

The jury is in. There may be better products out there, but after firing twenty some rounds through the 338 there was ample carbon/copper to work with. Per instructions on bottle, ran wet patch of Carb Out through bore and let it sit 5 minutes. Repeated a couple of times and inspected w/scope....no carbon visible.

Switched to Tactical Advantage: Ran wet patch through bore and it picked up a little remaining carbon; let sit a few minutes, dry patched and repeated a couple of times. Still getting blue on patches but only copper left was where it had been very heavy due to imperfections in bore. TA cuts both carbon and copper.

Let rifle sit overnight w/WIPEOUT FOAM and got rid of most of the heavy copper. Ran wet TA patch through bore and picked up some traces of blue.

This if the first time I've ever gotten rid of all copper short of using an abrasive such as JB or Gold Medallion and the easiest it has ever cleaned up, even after only one to 3 rounds through it when cleaned. According to manufacturer, CARB OUT should be left up to 5 minutes, their other solvents are OK overnight. I'm sold.

Regards,
hm

BoreTech Eliminator for general cleaning. Use their copper and carbon remover on tough ones. Use the carbon remover on my muzzle loader breach plug as well.

My question is after all this cleaning how long does it take for the accuracy to settle back in. After I cleaned my 6x68 it took me 10 shots for the accuracy to settle in. I'm not sure I want to clean it that well again.

My personal belief on this subject is, you don't know if it is clean unless you can see it. I shoot competetive benchrest. I know, I know, things are different. But nobody, and I mean NOBODY cleans more than benchrest guys. Patch color does not tell you anything except when the chemical stops working. IMO when you get white patches it just means you've wiped all the chemical out. I have never got a factory barrel to the point where I thought it was clean by looking at patches. I have never got a white patch out of a factory barrel. You can't feel a clean barrel. You can feel a smooth barrel, but it can still be dirty. It is layers of carbon, on a layer of copper, on a layer of carbon, etc. You have to look in there. Get a GOOD bore scope and SEE what you're looking at. Most factory barrels are rough and will foul like crazy. A lot of custom barrels are rough and will foul too. I have had barrels from some of the best barrel makers feel rough but shoot teen aggs. (if you don't know what that is look it up.) I have had factory barrels that felt like the perverbial babys bottom shoot like crap! My point is, colors and feel means nothing! Look in there.

Edit; My experience is with CM factory barrels.I dont have any SS factory barrels. All my competetion barrels are SS Kreiger, Bartlein, Shilen, etc. If you are afraid of bad chemical reactions put a small spot on the outside of the barrel and see what happens.

Last edited:
tried eliminator tonight and got 5-6 patches with blue and tried several time with nylon brushing and got a little more blue and then clean from then on out. No smell, no oily mess I think I'm sold. One thing that got me was I cut a hole in an old powder bottle and rinsed it out for a patch trap. Well I mopped the bore and then ran some patches through it that were wet well when I checked the patches in the trap that were soaked they were a very dark blue and 100% covered. I'm wondering if the powder residue was making them blue?

Back