My first mountain yote.

Jim Byers

While looking for wolf sign I found coyote sign instead. So I made a stand and at 22 minutes I caught this female slipping away. She and her mates had got downwind without me seeing them and were leaving. She shouldn't have stopped in that small opening in the Christmas trees at 255 yards.. a quick shot with my kimber 6.5 and she was drt.. ][/url]

143 eldx. Entered just behind the left shoulder and exited right in front of the hip. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. This is how I found her.

I'm in western Montana..This spot was only around 5500ft. And a southern exposure.. we've had a mild winter so far so down this low the snow isn't too ][/url] bad.. a couple thousand feet up and and gets pretty wintery in a hurry.

I hunt off my skidoo tundra, strap them in on the back for the ride out. You do have to keep an eye on them but towing a sled is a pain, and the looks from the flatlanders when they see wiley hanging off the back is priceless.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgCongrats Jim! The coyote looks almost big enough to be a small wolf! Beautiful terrain out there!!
thumbup.gif

^^What he said^^

Tell us a little more about your Kimber setup please. Living in surburban north GA, some of us can only live vicariously through reports and post like yours (cool gear and beautiful scenery)! Thanks.

Wood smoke, it's a kimber Adirondack in 6.5cm. Topped with a 6x24x50 vortex viper. I wanted a lightweight mountain rifle for pursuing wolves that had the capability of making cross canyon shots if the situation warranted.

It weighs in at 7lbs fully loaded with bipod and ammo.

I had my Smith install a tactical brake to eliminate muzzle jump and he trimmed the trigger to 2 3/4 lbs.

This setup has not disappointed me. It shoots amazing considering its such a short,lightweight rifle. 1/2 moa.

That is some really gorgeous country!....and a coyote too? Congratulations and thanks for the great pictures.

Regards,
hm

7 lbs is impressive. I imagine you do a lot of walking/hiking with it so the light weight is no doubt a plus. Wolves? Canyons? Wow, that's impressive! Again, consider this from the perspective of some of us city-fied, spread sheet jockeying, concrete jungle habitat, suburbanite types to know how cool it is to read your story. Count yourself lucky to live where you do! Thanks!

Last edited:
Great pictures and a great story. I am in agreement curiosity + less then 300 yards usually equals a dead coyote. Nice job and please keep the pictures coming.

Last edited:
Back