22 Nosler vs. 224 Valkyrie?

Slowflyte

I have a 22 nosler that I use at night with a therm. I love it for this purpose. I have a few friends going the Valkyrie route and think I should join the flock. I just don't see any advantages over the nosler for hunting coyotes under 300 yards. Thought somebody may have a good argument as to why I'd need another's 22 cal. Well at least some reason to tell my wife why I need another one.

22 Nosler has advantage over the valkyrie out too 300 imo. It is the ultimate for coyotes thus far in factory offerings in the AR 15 platform. The valkyrie is designed to shoot long high bc bullets which will result in lower speeds and a less flat trajectory at night calling ranges. The 22 Nosler is basically as flat as any of the fast centerfire varmint cartridges when shooting varmint weight bullets. Fast, flat dead on hold to 225 is how coyotes are killed with thermal. Everything the valkyrie gains is at distances and wind conditions that a bullets bc matters in. Bc doesnt come into play night hunting with thermal. Speed wins. I had a few runners with some behind the shoulder hits eatlier this winter but after moving my shot placement up into the should my 22 Nosler has been an absolute death ray. Im shooting 55 bts at 3500 plus and it has been great on fur as well. If you want to just build a new toy build a 6x6.8.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .22322 Nosler has advantage over the valkyrie out too 300 imo. It is the ultimate for coyotes thus far in factory offerings in the AR 15 platform. The valkyrie is designed to shoot long high bc bullets which will result in lower speeds and a less flat trajectory at night calling ranges. The 22 Nosler is basically as flat as any of the fast centerfire varmint cartridges when shooting varmint weight bullets. Fast, flat dead on hold to 225 is how coyotes are killed with thermal. Everything the valkyrie gains is at distances and wind conditions that a bullets bc matters in. Bc doesnt come into play night hunting with thermal. Speed wins. I had a few runners with some behind the shoulder hits eatlier this winter but after moving my shot placement up into the should my 22 Nosler has been an absolute death ray. Im shooting 55 bts at 3500 plus and it has been great on fur as well. If you want to just build a new toy build a 6x6.8.

How long of a barrel on your 22 Nosler to get 3500 out of the 55s? I've been contemplating between the 2 above mentioned calibers and recently decided if like to build a 22 Nosler. Gonna take me awhile to afford parts for the whole build just gathering info at the moment.ideally id like to shoot 52/53 grain bullets as fast as possible from a reasonable length barrel.

To the OP. My opinion on the matter is the 224 Valkyrie is designed for long range work and my personal preference for that kind of work is a bolt gun anyways and their are better 22 calibers available for that. If a long range AR is interesting to you build away and let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Originally Posted By: varminter .22322 Nosler has advantage over the valkyrie out too 300 imo. It is the ultimate for coyotes thus far in factory offerings in the AR 15 platform. The valkyrie is designed to shoot long high bc bullets which will result in lower speeds and a less flat trajectory at night calling ranges. The 22 Nosler is basically as flat as any of the fast centerfire varmint cartridges when shooting varmint weight bullets. Fast, flat dead on hold to 225 is how coyotes are killed with thermal. Everything the valkyrie gains is at distances and wind conditions that a bullets bc matters in. Bc doesnt come into play night hunting with thermal. Speed wins. I had a few runners with some behind the shoulder hits eatlier this winter but after moving my shot placement up into the should my 22 Nosler has been an absolute death ray. Im shooting 55 bts at 3500 plus and it has been great on fur as well. If you want to just build a new toy build a 6x6.8.

How long of a barrel on your 22 Nosler to get 3500 out of the 55s? I've been contemplating between the 2 above mentioned calibers and recently decided if like to build a 22 Nosler. Gonna take me awhile to afford parts for the whole build just gathering info at the moment.ideally id like to shoot 52/53 grain bullets as fast as possible from a reasonable length barrel.

To the OP. My opinion on the matter is the 224 Valkyrie is designed for long range work and my personal preference for that kind of work is a bolt gun anyways and their are better 22 calibers available for that. If a long range AR is interesting to you build away and let us know how it goes.

My barrel is 22" 12 twist woa varmint contour. cfe223 seems to be the magic powder and I shoot 55 bt's with 450 primers. Very accurate as well.

Cheaper factory ammo is the only upside if you don't reload, but for under 300 yards not worth it in my opinion. I'm loading 22 nosler for .65 cents a round, that's with good 16cent bullets, the price will be less with every loading if you dont lose your brass. I have some 50 grain hp's I purchased along time ago for 7 cents a piece so that will cut it down even more. I'm a huge fan of 22 cals I'm gonna build a valkyrie over a long period of time like I did the 22 nosler. Spread the build over a year or more and it doesn't sting so bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .22322 Nosler has advantage over the valkyrie out too 300 imo. It is the ultimate for coyotes thus far in factory offerings in the AR 15 platform. The valkyrie is designed to shoot long high bc bullets which will result in lower speeds and a less flat trajectory at night calling ranges. The 22 Nosler is basically as flat as any of the fast centerfire varmint cartridges when shooting varmint weight bullets. Fast, flat dead on hold to 225 is how coyotes are killed with thermal. Everything the valkyrie gains is at distances and wind conditions that a bullets bc matters in. Bc doesnt come into play night hunting with thermal. Speed wins. I had a few runners with some behind the shoulder hits eatlier this winter but after moving my shot placement up into the should my 22 Nosler has been an absolute death ray. Im shooting 55 bts at 3500 plus and it has been great on fur as well. If you want to just build a new toy build a 6x6.8.

This info. Is coming from a guy who texts me pictures weekly of dead coyotes. So definitely first hand experience and not just a guy with 2 or 3 kills

Originally Posted By: bomberhatDisregard my first post I'm just a guy with 2 Or 3 kills hahaha

I don't think there was malice intended but if my count is correct we have killed 31 since Nov. 10th with this 22 Nosler 55 bt 33 cfe 223 load. We did have some misses obviously but I think we only had one that we didn't find. That one went down, got up spun and went back down. We killed 2 other coyotes on that stand and then that one got up and ran off and I missed him while running. Had all kinds of time to fill him full of lead but thought he was dead. If there is any doubt I spend the extra 65 cents after that.

Originally Posted By: bomberhatDisregard my first post I'm just a guy with 2 Or 3 kills hahaha

Lol no harm intented by my comment. I was just stating the fact that Varminter223 has been putting down the fur and he has plenty of experience to talk about the 22Nosler. I just prefer hearing from guys punching fur and not always paper about performance

Originally Posted By: 6724I predict that in a few years, that neither will have great popularity.

agree. It seems like every year someone or some manufacturer comes up with the latest greatest wizz bang caliber that is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
I have to agree with putting them farther forward in the shoulder, had two run off that where shot behind front shoulder. Haven't had any run anywhere lately, it's been laying them down and fur buyer has no complaints about damage. I shoot the 55 bt too. I've got 29 now with the nosler and partner has 11 with a 223. We got em set up with therms mid Nov. and haven't slept much since. Have shot three out past 250 all bang flops, the rest were all closer. We have educated a few, learning how far to lead with the thermals, and learning how to set up at night. We get way more multiples at night and I'm loving the nosler for being pretty flat out to 250ish.

Anyone care to elaborate on the "fur-friendliness" of either round?

Was considering the 224V due to the ability to shoot heavier bullets if I so desired, but with the intent of shooting some 60grn noslers. I don't reload at the present, and don't want a barrel burner. In that scenario the 224V sounds like a hot .223 round? Missing anything?

Back