Question for the 204 Ruger owners...

decanuck

Have a LH CZ 527 in 204 Ruger and wanted to share my recent experiences. As you know it has a 21 5/8 inch barrel. I was sighting in with some Hornady 32 gr and Remingon 39 gr ammo. I was noticing that it wasn't grouping better than 1.5-2 inches when shooting at 100 yards, at best. When going out to 200 yards, I wouldn't shoot at anything small due to the group sizing. Thought it might be due to the barrel being threaded for a can. Started handloading and found a 1/2 MOA load at 100 and 200 yards. Haven't run it over a chrony yet, but it is on the low end of the recommended charge in the Nosler Manual for IMR 4198 and 32 gr bullets.

Wondering if anyone else has run into this with barrels under 22 inches long.

According to the Burn Rate Chart provided by Hodgdon, the IMR 4198 is a pretty fast burn powder..(I also think the burn rates have changed in the last few years)..You might want to consider switching to a slightly slower powder, such as Ramshot X-Terminator or TAC..both meter extremely well..

While I don't use a can, the change in barrel length may affect velocity, but not accuracy if your components are matched...The .204's big point is the high velocity, flat trajectory, and low recoil...I've found over the years that it is picky/finicky about bullet weight though...I have two .204s and still trying to find the right combination for light (32gr.) bullets, but have great success with the heavier (35-40gr.) ones, especially the 39gr SBKs...

I own two CZ 527 Varmint 204's. I shot both with Winchester factory 34's. Both grouped right on 1.375" at 100. My hand loads have trouble getting to an inch now. They are more in the 0.3 to 0.6 area and that's with my old shakiness at the helm. I don't think your results are odd at all.

Mine are loaded to the nuts with 32's and 2015, 39's with 2230 and I even have an SPS, funky stock and all, that shoots the same with the factory ammo stoked with 39's and 2460.

Greg

My 204 Ruger Howa Mini groups well with 32 gr. up to 40 gr. I use CF&E 223. It meters well and fills the case nicely. I'm in the middle to 3/4 on the charge charts that are in the reloading books. I have a pound of Tac but, haven't reloaded with it yet. Tac looks to be very close to CF&E in reloading charts. Rudy

Been using 32 V-max with TAC & WSR primers in my 22" Savage sporter @ near max. You might try 748, Xterminator, TAC, RL10, H335, H322, H4895, BLC2 if you have any of those. I had good results with the first 4 powders under 32 Vmax and 39 Blitzkings in other 204 rifles in the past.

Mine have had the accuracy drop off when I went longer without cleaning.

You might check the residue pattern on the crown to see if it is consistent 360 degress.

35 grain Burgers might work better too.

Just a few thoughts.

I have a Browning Abolt II with a 22" barrel. It shot factory vmax 40 gr. just ok, about 1" to 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards. I chrono'd these and was very close to the advertised 3900 fps.

I then went to hand loads of 40 gr. berger with BL-c(2) and also got the 3900 fps, but accuracy was the same as the Hornady factory loads.

I tried IMR8208 with the berger's and things did not improve.

I then changed to 39 gr. Sierra Blitzkings and IMR8208 and got the accuracy I was after, consistent 1/2 moa at 100 yards for 5 shots. I don't get the velocity with this however, 3750 fps works great for me and not so much for the coyotes that encounters this bullet.

Back