6.5 Creedmoor vs 25-06 for Deer

For hunting deer to practical distances my choice is the .25-06, I've been a big fan for 39 years. It just has such a flat trajectory I don't need to be trying to calc hold over.

For what you want it's really a toss up, but I'm not a follower, never have been, that's why I have a .25-06.

I'll throw a little different twist on it. If you plan to shoot long range and have a scope that can dial I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor. If you just want a normal scope without reticles or turrets a good MPBR (maximum point blank range) is best. There I'd go with the 25-06 and a tough 80-110gr bullet at high velocity. The velocity of the 25-06 beats the better BC (ballistic coefficient) for a while due to the shorter time of flight. The BC advantage of the 6.5 doesn't take over until you are out there a ways and the 25-06 slows down.

Figuring you don't want much more than 2.5" of mid range rise, the 6.5 with a high BC 140gr bullet will let you get to about 250 before dropping more than 3". The 25-06 with a 100gr bullet with a decent BC buys you about another 50-60yds before dropping more than 3". That's pretty rough but it gives you an idea.

To me it comes down to this question. Do I want to be able to aim dead on to 300yds or a little more and maybe hold a little wind? OR Do I want to hold dead on to 250yds and plan to range and dial anything further?

Really there's not a bad option here, it just depends on what you are looking to do. I personally shoot a 264WM that pushes the same 6.5 high BC 140gr bullet as the Creedmoor at velocities similar to the 25-06. I want the best of both worlds. The penalty for that is that I go with a bit heavier rifle that soaks up the added recoil and my barrel life will be shorter. With my load on the newer 264 I have I can set my turret to a 260yd zero, screw the cap that covers it back on, and forget about dialing inside 315yds. If I need to go further I unscrew the cap and dial. I won't take the longer shots without time to range, use the wind meter, and dial.

I personally like a MOA marked reticle too so I can make windage holds off that on longer shots. I won't buy a dialing scope without one since it's what I'm used to.

Last edited:
I haven't drunk the Creedmoor Kool-Aid, but I do have a 260 Rem., and a 25-06 Rem., chambered rifle. For those not in the know, the 260 Rem. shoots the same bullet as the Creedmoor, only faster.
grin.gif
Which one do I deer hunt with? Both. Which one is better? Couldn't tell you. Both killed the deer dead, in the 250 yard or less killing zone of my elevated box blind. I will say the 25-06 made a bigger hole, even though it is a smaller bullet. Both rifles shoot a 100 gr. Barnes TTSX load. Me personally, for deer/antelope, I would go with the 25-06 Rem. It is a flat shooting, hard hitting, round. Yes the 6.5 CM, or the 260 Rem. kills plenty fine, but I really don't want to fool around with elevation turrets, when Da Turdy Point Buck slides through the hardwood ridge at 250 yards. And I don't want to think about some kind of hold over, either. Where I hunt whitetails you get seconds to set up the shot, and execute. Give me the flattest shooting, hardest hitting rifle, of these two...The 25-06.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeFor those not in the know, the 260 Rem. shoots the same bullet as the Creedmoor, only faster. No, not really. The availability of lapua brass had people fooled into believing it, but it's not so. Now that lapua and alpha brass is available for the creedmoor, its proven to be false.

Despite this, BOTH the creedmoor and the 260 at the velocities some are reporting are foolish. A simple pressure analysis reveals that just because the brass can take it, doesn't mean you should be doing it.

6.5CM and 260rem are ballistic equals. The difference lies in the 6.5CM being appropriately configured for short action magazines when using heavy (140 class) bullets, while the 260 is not appropriately configured. (unless you're the kind of person that likes the bullet dangling down way past the neck/shoulder junction on a case)

People really overthink when it comes to antelope. They are small animals. It doesn't take anything special to put one down. I once did a drive by on one with a nerf gun, accidentally wiped out the entire herd.

25/06 is my go too. I am a quarter bore guy. Don't get me wrong. I have 3-6.5x284's and 4-6.5x47's.
I still would choose the 25/06. They shoot very well, have great hunting bullets and don't have to make many adjustments.

+1000 on the 7mm-08. Have yet to figure why someone would pick a 6.5 CR over 7mm-08. Shot a 25-06 for years and thought there was nothing better one was a older Ruger m77 and one in Browning xbolt. I carried a teenage boy hunting a lot. He shot a .260. His house burned and he had no rifle so I called him over and gave him my xbolt. I’d been eyeing the 7mm-08’s ballistics, and knew it,s accuracy potential was unquestionable. Plus I’ll take a short action over a long action in a hunting rifle any day. I’ve been 100% impressed.

Back