7mm-08 long range?

Get closer. That's where the excitement starts for me, anyway. Don't get me wrong, though. We have a little range the locals put together and it goes out to 500 yards plus or minus. I have a lot of fun using up powder and lead on the bench. I miss a lot, too. But when I miss a 12 inch piece of steel nothing crawls off wounded except my pride.

Buddy of mine is just the kind of technical shooter Stu describes above--the kinda' guy who can talk about the BC of one bullet for 30 minutes. He had a custom 30-06 fast twist barreled rig built up for just such a task this year, shooting one of the bigger 200ish grain high BC polymer-tipped bullets for deer/antelope, and it's a shooter! He still shot an antelope doe in a non-vital area at 900ish yards this year in some wind, but it incapacitated it enough for a finishing shot fortunately. I would see just how far out you can hit the vital area of a big game animal consistently in various conditions on the 1st shot and limit your shots to that range and closer. A college course of info is required for very long-range shooting like you're talking about, and bucket-loads of experience. Good luck!

Back