7.62x39?

pyscodog

To much time on my hands...but was wondering. If a person used a match grade barrel, (.308 diameter bore), is there any reason it won't shoot exceptionally well? You could use the 308 match bullets. I can't see why it wouldn't be a tack driver. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Probably not the best idea I've had lately. But.......

Last edited:
thumbup1.gif
I looked at one of those last week. I have a Howa. Still working on that "load". The .311 bores not helping much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogTo much time on my hands...but was wondering. If a person used a match grade barrel, (.308 diameter bore), is there any reason it won't shoot exceptionally well? You could use the 308 match bullets. I can't see why it wouldn't be a tack driver. Tell me if I'm wrong.

A bullet doesn't care what is stamped on the brass.

I've got a T/C Contender barrel made by Fox Ridge, carbine length . 7.62x39x.308 . Using 125 grain Sierras it shoots bug holes and runs about 2300 fps . Close but not quite a 30-30 but good for deer to about 125 Yards .
Soup

Originally Posted By: NdIndyOriginally Posted By: pyscodogTo much time on my hands...but was wondering. If a person used a match grade barrel, (.308 diameter bore), is there any reason it won't shoot exceptionally well? You could use the 308 match bullets. I can't see why it wouldn't be a tack driver. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Not real sure what your saying here. But.. I've been told .308 diameter bullets don't usually shoot that well from a barrel with a .311 diameter bore which is in the Howa rifle.

I built a Savage rifle in 7.62x39. it has a .308 bore and yes it shoots lights out. I have about 700 pieces of Lapua brass for it. I actually took a 220 Russian Wilson die and used my chamber reamer in it to make it a 7.62x39 die. It works great.
Its a very fun rifle to shoot and so many people scratch there head when they see the groups it puts out.
Jerod

The barrel I spoke about above is a "7.62x39x.308 " The bore was .308 . You couldn't shoot the cheap surplus ammo which is .311 .

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: NdIndyOriginally Posted By: pyscodogTo much time on my hands...but was wondering. If a person used a match grade barrel, (.308 diameter bore), is there any reason it won't shoot exceptionally well? You could use the 308 match bullets. I can't see why it wouldn't be a tack driver. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Not real sure what your saying here. But.. I've been told .308 diameter bullets don't usually shoot that well from a barrel with a .311 diameter bore which is in the Howa rifle.
Op specifically asked about a .308 bore, no mention of a howa rifle or a .311 bore.

Beyond that a .311 bore will shoot a .308 bullet fine. It won't be a match winner but it will be a decent hunter.

I haven't tried shooting .308 dia bullets in my Howa which has the .311 bore. I'm sure there will be no problem shooting them but what kind of accuracy can I expect as opposed to shooting .310/.311 bullets? Curious as I have a bunch of different .308 bullets. I've been told they won't shoot that good so I haven't even tried.

I tried the .308" bullets in my Ruger Ranch which has a .311 bore. I only tried one type of bullet, but 3" groups told me that it wasn't the way to go. With .311 bullets I'm getting 1" results, sometimes a little better.

Of course you can shoot .308 bullets from the larger bore, but even if they do group decently, I would have to believe that a bullet that is the correct size for the bore is always going to shoot better. There are a number of good .311 bullets out there, from higher end target stuff to cheapo plinker stuff, no reason to use a bullet that "rattles" it's way down the bore.

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51U just described a CZ 527 Bolt Gun.
And Add Lapua Brass

I have one of those with a 1.25-4x Leupold. It likes the Hornady steel case factory ammo with the 123gr SST bullet. I can put 5 shots in 1 hole at 50yds. I think the gun could do it at 100yds but with the heavy reticle on the scope I can't make it happen. It will still keep 5 shots under 1.25" anytime and usually under 1". Not bad for budget ammo. The set trigger helps a bunch.

It's going to be my starter gun for my nephews on deer. Low recoil, cheap practice ammo, and a giant field of view.

My Howa shoots Tula HP's really good, Usually in the one inch range or better at 100yds. I haven't got that good with reloads yet but I'm close. It is a fun gun to shoot. Sometimes I wonder why I even reload for it when Tula is so cheap.

Back