Scope for load development??

yotehunter243

I run 2.5x10 scopes on every one of my rifles and in my opinion it's the ultimate hunting power range for my area. But as my eyes get worse I'm struggling with the 10x working loads. So are there any suggestions on fixed power for reasonable price for strictly load development ?

Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougWe are expecing in a shipment of the Leupold FX-II 6x36 LR Duplex scopes later this week which we will be blowing out at only $249.99

Thanks Doug, I'm looking for like something between 16 and 36 power

I use the older style bushnell 4200 8-32x40 target scopes for all my load development. They are super clear. As a matter of fact, they are more clear on 32 power than my two vortex hslr scope are on it's 24 power. You can find them used for around 300.00. This is all I would use if they had quick adjust turrets.

I bought a used Weaver T36 specifically for accuracy load development. I am shooting the smallest groups of my life with it. I was using 18 and 20x previously, and the 30x shrank groups noticeably. I picked mine up for $250 on accurate shooter classifieds, and they show up for sale there just about weekly.

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterI bought a used Weaver T36 specifically for accuracy load development. I am shooting the smallest groups of my life with it. I was using 18 and 20x previously, and the 30x shrank groups noticeably. I picked mine up for $250 on accurate shooter classifieds, and they show up for sale there just about weekly. This ^^^^ I completely agree

I know it's not a fixed scope like you posted, but I have a Redfield 6x18x40 that I use on multiple rifles strictly for load development. For my hunting rifles, I typically use a 3x9 or something similar, which isn't really ideal for load development. The 6x18 works well in this application to build the best possible load and then swap back to the ideally powered scope. In addition, I use the Leupold QRW system in all of my rifles which makes it easy to swap scopes back and forth.

I used to feel the same way about wanting a bigger scope to do load development. I found that once you use that load with your hunting scope it doesn't shoot any better than if you would have developed it with the hunting scope. The best load with the hunting scope is going to be the best load, all you gain (maybe) is shaving a few tenths off the groups size with a bigger scope. I do all my load development with the 1-4 and 1.5x6 hunting scopes on the rifle any time they are under MOA at 200 yards it is a good enough load to hunt with with many of my scopes shooting under 1/2 MOA at that distance.

There are techniques to make holding on a target easier with lower power scopes

Now if you want to evaluate a rifle and see what the best it can do, here a bigger scope come into play.

If your having problems with your vision through a scope, a trip to a good eye doctor that is a shooter and understands your problems would be worth as much as a new scope. I'm 71, had double cataract surgery, can't see even a receiver sight any more and had to change all my guns to scopes.

Last edited:
AWS, I too know that feeling. After I had cataract surgery I ''thought'' I would be able to shoot my favorite of all, peeps, no luck on that. The peep now is oblong in shape and at a 45 degree angle leaning to the right. Old eyes are not all that much fun, but I must admit they do beat the alternative. Y'all take care, John.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersI use the older style bushnell 4200 8-32x40 target scopes for all my load development. They are super clear. As a matter of fact, they are more clear on 32 power than my two vortex hslr scope are on it's 24 power. You can find them used for around 300.00. This is all I would use if they had quick adjust turrets.

A used 4200 in whatever power i am after is my go to. Watch ebay.

I have a couple of scopes I used to use for load work, because that is what I was always told and what a fair number of folks did.
Then a light came on. If I have a rig put together, why swap glass? I do my load work with the glass I am going to use 99% of the time.

I change targets more than I change glass.
Don't be one of those guys that wants his hits the same as his point of aim. Why enlarge or tear up your POA, then expect small groups. Twist a knob, that's what there for. And, if it doesn't come back to original setting, either fix it or toss it, because it will screw you sooner or later. Don't ask how I know.
Jeff

I have overcome the need for a scope just for load development in this way. I use thin cardboard or thick paper, (Usually from discarded products) and paint at least legal pad size-ish with florescent pink marking paint can. (The type that sprays inverted for marking dirt to be excavated). Let it dry. Measure and mark target for whatever size fits your magnification the best at your preferred yardage for your load development. What works for me is at 14 power, and at 200 yards, a 2 inch square can be separated into 4 equal parts with the crosshair.
On butcher's paper, draw a straight line horizontally across, placing the 2 inch squares in the center of the line with a staple gun.( I outline the position of the target with a marker before i remove the staple from the target.) I run the paper horizontally for one powder, so underneath, i can usually test and different powder also. I keep the targets separated about a hand's width apart. I find it is much easier to evaluate a load using thing labor intensive method, but it works well for me. Thus eliminating the need and time for using another scope just for load development. As usual, take pics of targets before removing from target holder. I hope this is clear enough to help.

Back