Barnes 80g TTSX .243 .05” off lands?

Seebass

I’m getting ready to load up some of the above bullets.

Barnes’ published FAQ online says to load these bullets .05” off your rifles lands.

The load data I have says to load these bullets to a 2.620” COAL.

When I checked, this bullet touched my lands at 2.760”. Now...

Would you start your COAL at book specs, or .05” off like Barnes says and work your way deeper into the case by maybe .02”? I know copper likes a jump but at 2.620” that would be a .15” jump from the start. That seems like a BIG jump even for copper, no?

Carlos

I use those bullets some and they haven't been too fussy about depth. But I would start at 50 thou off and go from there if they fit in the mag and their's still enough in the neck.

I loaded them in the 243 wssm dtech and at mag length the first load produced 3 rounds nearly touching at 200 yds. 3 more did the same so I went with it and dumped an antelope at 265 yds. Never took a step.

I used those about 5 years ago in a 243. Loaded 5 each, .030, .050, .070 of of lands. All loads printed under 3/4" with the .050 load going just under 5/8"

I bet if you load the recommended .050 off you will be fine.

Also found with other cartridges using the TTSX that just about every load had 1 groove showing and the top driving band showing too, bottom of band at case mouth.

Originally Posted By: MoYoBomberAlso found with other cartridges using the TTSX that just about every load had 1 groove showing and the top driving band showing too, bottom of band at case mouth. Yup, seat them deep. Go to the ammo store and open up a box of Barnes 243 ammo and you'll see it's loaded deep just like that.

I load mine to the bottom of the first groove, seems to work great.

At one time, I loaded Barnes in 14 different rifles, from a 22Hornet to a 300 Weatherby.

One thing stood out, and that was the accuracy was always better at the high end of velocity.

For each rifle, which included a buddy's 2 customs from Hart, loads were started at published COL. I only played with seating depth on his custom's, a 243 and 300Win, at accuracy did not improve.

I load Barnes TTSX bullets in 6mm WOA, 6mm Rem., 25-06 Rem, 260 Rem, 6.8 SPC, 308 Win., and 300 WSM. And all of them have a couple of things in common. One is they like to go fast, and the other is they like to jump around .050". IIRC the 6.8 SPC even jumps a bit more than that, due to mag length issues. If you have enough bullet in the neck, I would start around .050", off the lands. Maybe even .040" off the lands, and work deeper into the case from there. When you find the sweet spot, it will be obvious.

Squeeze

P.S. Oops, forgot one. I also load a TTSX in 458 SOCOM. I just load that pumpkin to 2.25", and grin at the hole it makes.

Last edited:
Back