6x6.8 Hornady dies

midwestpredator

I have gotten a couple PMs asking about making an order for 6x6.8 dies. I need to get at least 10 sets to make another run so if you missed out the first time, drop me a PM.

Here's three 6X6.8 cases on the left I just made with the Hornady dies. These are the new Starline cases. Untouched three on the right were also Starline.

wPDToZ0.jpg

Greg

I'm interested in the 6x6.8 and would like to learn more about it.

I've researched it some and about all I can find is guys talking about how awesome it is and their loads. I really haven't found out much about it's history, correct barrel length, twist, case life, preferred powders/primers details about forming cases, general reloading information.

I have been hunting with a 6.8 since 2008 and would like to give the 6x6.8 a try. Are there any benefits to having a 6x6.8 even though I already have rifles in the 6.8?

Oh, and I've been reloading for 40 years but have never messed with wildcat cases.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCI'm interested in the 6x6.8 and would like to learn more about it.

I've researched it some and about all I can find is guys talking about how awesome it is and their loads. I really haven't found out much about it's history, correct barrel length, twist, case life, preferred powders/primers details about forming cases, general reloading information.

I have been hunting with a 6.8 since 2008 and would like to give the 6x6.8 a try. Are there any benefits to having a 6x6.8 even though I already have rifles in the 6.8?

Oh, and I've been reloading for 40 years but have never messed with wildcat cases.

A 10 twist wil do it all for you. Barrel length choice on what you want. Suppressed song dogs in the bushes and an 18"is ideal. 500/1000 paper targets are good with a 24". Advantage? Better choice of bullets, higher BC's and flatter trajectories.

History is designed by Ritch here and I write extensively about it over on the Black Hole Forums covering case forming etc.

Case life? I have some SSA that has 12+ loading that were pretty stout that have never been annealed. Powders from H322 to RL15 and everything around that area. It is devastating with a 58's and makes a very nice deer/antelope round if you pock the right bullet.

Lots of guys shooting it here and I happen to have an extensive accumulation of load data. 450's and 7 1/2's across the board for me. MWP is also a consummate expert on this one.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCI'm interested in the 6x6.8 and would like to learn more about it.

58's at 3600
75's at 3300
Nuff said
thumbup1.gif

If anyone is on the fence about this wildcat, just climb on over. I have loaded with the bushing dies which take a little doing but these new Hornady dies are almost effortless and are slick as can be. Pretty much takes the wild out of wildcatting. Plenty of load data knowledge here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Houser in NCI'm interested in the 6x6.8 and would like to learn more about it.

A 10 twist wil do it all for you. Barrel length choice on what you want. Suppressed song dogs in the bushes and an 18"is ideal. 500/1000 paper targets are good with a 24". Advantage? Better choice of bullets, higher BC's and flatter trajectories.

History is designed by Ritch here and I write extensively about it over on the Black Hole Forums covering case forming etc.

Case life? I have some SSA that has 12+ loading that were pretty stout that have never been annealed. Powders from H322 to RL15 and everything around that area. It is devastating with a 58's and makes a very nice deer/antelope round if you pock the right bullet.

Lots of guys shooting it here and I happen to have an extensive accumulation of load data. 450's and 7 1/2's across the board for me. MWP is also a consummate expert on this one.

Greg

Thanks for the reply and info. I've been on the BHW forum. I have read some about the 6mm and I like it more every time I read about it.
Both of my 6.8s are 16". I really like how handy they are getting around in the woods or ground blinds and easy to get in and out of the pickup.
The 16" doesn't seem to give up a lot of velocity in the 6.8 and an 18" 6mm shouldn't be much different. Most of my shots here in NC are 300 yards or less.

I got interested in the 6mm after putting an older 6mm Remington Model 7 (1-9 twist)back to use after some improvements for it.

There are a lot more 6mm bullets available for it compared to what's available for the 6.8. The 18" Model 7 pushes the 85gr Sierra HPBT, do-it-all bullet, right at 3000fps into 1" groups at 100. If the 6x6.8 will do that, I'll have to look at it a little harder.

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Houser in NCI'm interested in the 6x6.8 and would like to learn more about it.

Greg

Thanks for the reply and info. I've been on the BHW forum. I have read some about the 6mm and I like it more every time I read about it.
Both of my 6.8s are 16". I really like how handy they are getting around in the woods or ground blinds and easy to get in and out of the pickup.
The 16" doesn't seem to give up a lot of velocity in the 6.8 and an 18" 6mm shouldn't be much different. Most of my shots here in NC are 300 yards or less.

I got interested in the 6mm after putting an older 6mm Remington Model 7 (1-9 twist)back to use after some improvements for it.

There are a lot more 6mm bullets available for it compared to what's available for the 6.8. The 18" Model 7 pushes the 85gr Sierra HPBT, do-it-all bullet, right at 3000fps into 1" groups at 100. If the 6x6.8 will do that, I'll have to look at it a little harder.

You'll be on the border top end with an 85 at that spped without hammering the brass. The expansion ratio robs you of some top end when you go down in bore. Same same bullet in a bigger bore with basic same same case will always outrun the smaller bore. Th 223 vs. the 6X45 is the classic example on that.

I'm shooting some 85's this week out of an 18" so we'll have some idea on how they run.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: Houser in NCI'm interested in the 6x6.8 and would like to learn more about it.

58's at 3600
75's at 3300
Nuff said
thumbup1.gif

If anyone is on the fence about this wildcat, just climb on over. I have loaded with the bushing dies which take a little doing but these new Hornady dies are almost effortless and are slick as can be. Pretty much takes the wild out of wildcatting. Plenty of load data knowledge here. Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: Houser in NCI'm interested in the 6x6.8 and would like to learn more about it.

58's at 3600
75's at 3300
Nuff said
thumbup1.gif

If anyone is on the fence about this wildcat, just climb on over. I have loaded with the bushing dies which take a little doing but these new Hornady dies are almost effortless and are slick as can be. Pretty much takes the wild out of wildcatting. Plenty of load data knowledge here.

Thanks! That's very good velocities.

Decisions decisions

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: Houser in NCI'm interested in the 6x6.8 and would like to learn more about it.

58's at 3600
75's at 3300
Nuff said
thumbup1.gif

Pretty much mirrors my results. With a 22in barrel 58s at 3550, 70s at 3350, and 75s at 3300. I run'em hard but I wouldn't say I've gone nuts with it. I did some very limited work with 87s early on and was closing in on 3100fps but I haven't used anything over 75gr since. There is just no need for my hunting tasks.

Which bullets and weights do you guys end up preferring after a season or two with them? After 2 seasons here I only used 87 vmax and 70 nbt, and similar results afa fur friendly. With the biggest blow out going to the 70. I also don't think the nbt has as good a bc as they advertise; my drops at 500 are waaay more than they should be. I'm thinking of getting some 70 gr sbk's to try.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARWhich bullets and weights do you guys end up preferring after a season or two with them? After 2 seasons here I only used 87 vmax and 70 nbt, and similar results afa fur friendly. With the biggest blow out going to the 70. I also don't think the nbt has as good a bc as they advertise; my drops at 500 are waaay more than they should be. I'm thinking of getting some 70 gr sbk's to try.
I had good luck with the 58gr vmax with everything but running away shots, which is understandable. I'm giving the 70BT a try. I also would like to try and VArmageddon and Blitzking. I supposed they have a lighter jacket compared to the BT?

Yeah they should both be lighter jacket than the bt. I'm not sure I buy the bc they put on the varms, being a flat base. And the bk seems like it would have a higher than listed bc judging by it's shape and long boat tail. Not that it really matters much for the ranges I shoot at, and I have 300 nbts to shoot up so probably won't change for a while. They do shoot well and they certainly anchor things from any angle. Should be doing 3300 from my 20" 6mm Predator but no crony to verify. Drops match at 300 but at 500 is 10" more than Strelok shows. It was cold when I tested, but that is a lot of difference at that range.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterHere's three 6X6.8 cases on the left I just made with the Hornady dies. These are the new Starline cases. Untouched three on the right were also Starline.

wPDToZ0.jpg

Greg

So after my problems with primer pockets giving up easily. A fellow 6x6
8 shooter off a Facebook group emailed Starline and they stated that this brass is rated to SPCI pressure

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Originally Posted By: GLShooterHere's three 6X6.8 cases on the left I just made with the Hornady dies. These are the new Starline cases. Untouched three on the right were also Starline.

wPDToZ0.jpg

Greg

So after my problems with primer pockets giving up easily. A fellow 6x6
8 shooter off a Facebook group emailed Starline and they stated that this brass is rated to SPCI pressure

SPCI pressure level is 55,000 PSI. The SAAMI approach is + 30% for the set up to pass mustard so that means the brass is rated for about 71.500. That means case failure will not occur and indeed it would propably be up around the 80,000 level based on some of the crazy crap I'm seeing loaded on other boards. They merely stated it was loaded to industry standards.

There is no SPC II SAAMI standard as it only exists in the minds of some not in the real world of firearms engineering. Just like WYLDE chamber is not SAAMI the SPC II is an answer that some sought to solve a perceived issue. The WYLDE for sure the SPC II not so much. Most in the industry have throated out the barrels to handle this "SPC II" pressure hunt but everyone is different. Numbers are quoted by some yet if you go out and look at the industry in any chambering that is SAAMI you will find very few manufacturers using the same reamer specs. Cast a Winchester , Remington and Colt 223 chamber and don't be drinking when you read the variations.

How hard the brass is will be the biggest influence. They are using a mix that is decent but like Federal it probably is not going to last. Nosler just did the same thing with the 22 N. brass but after an abject failure of the first stuff redid the mix and it is now far harder but I don't think Starline will do that. We know the Fed stuff is soft and is throw away way before Lapua but we also know that FED will build stuff to industry, SAAMI, specs and their 6.8 doesn't last any longer than anyone else's. I've got about 3,000 of the FC stuff for a reason because I bought it very cheap and if it goes away on five loadings I'm still saving money ion the long run.

The Starline is cheap stuff and if the route you want to go involves it it will just be a fact of life regarding case life. I was sent 70 pieces that I am loading up today and wil shoot tomorrow side by side with OLD Silver State. BTW I have some SSA stuff in 6.8 with over a dozen loadings at nice stout levels. I'll wear this Starline out and finally get a personal measure of it.

One last thing about Starline. Their PISTOL brass is as fine as any on the market. I have never been disappointed in it. I have some 9X21 that I load HOT with well over 15 firings that is still going strong. I don't think they will ever be the holy grail of rifle cartridges.

Greg

What should I expect for velocity out of a 18” vs 20” barrel with adjustable gas block in the 6-6.8 slinging 58gr and 70gr boat tail ballistic tips? I own 3 ar10’s in 243 and I get 3600 with 58gr vmax and 3350 with nosler 70bt out of a 18” barrel. Wanting a good ar15 variant and looking hard between this and the 22-6.8!

Originally Posted By: jca57jdWhat should I expect for velocity out of a 18” vs 20” barrel with adjustable gas block in the 6-6.8 slinging 58gr and 70gr boat tail ballistic tips? I own 3 ar10’s in 243 and I get 3600 with 58gr vmax and 3350 with nosler 70bt out of a 18” barrel. Wanting a good ar15 variant and looking hard between this and the 22-6.8!
Not sure about 18 to 20 inch but your ar 10 speeds are exactly what we were getting with those bullets in a 22" 6x6.8

Back