Watching bullets hit the target

7887mm08

Shot my 10/22 today. Just changed out the stock and scope so I needed to get it sighted in. Set up at 50 yds using a white target over a big white poster board. Ground also covered In white snow. Scope at 12x, I could follow the bullet to my aiming point. Bullet had a nice arc to it (cci sv). I'm 55 and wear glasses so all things were apparently perfect for me to witness this. Is this rare or common place? It was a first for me and was pretty cool also.

Have never seen .22 bullets, but have always shot black bulls; must be due to the all white background.

We used to watch the bullet "trace" coaching for high power rifle teams during rapid fire matches. A good coach can keep his shooters in the bull by judging where impact will be on the target based on where the arc breaks and talk his shooter back into bull if he drifts off during a string.

In roughly 20 years of competition, only on one occasion have I actually seen my shooter's bullets and they appeared as if a bright shiny copper wire had been strung from a few yards in front of the firing line to the target. I guess the sun light was just right that day to show reflection off the bullet.

Have also seen 58 cal. rifled musket ball travel to 100 yd target through binoculars, but they're big and slow.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

works best if the sun is behind you. I used to watch my 50 rounds go, way easier to watch someone else's rounds.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Have never seen .22 bullets, but have always shot black bulls; must be due to the all white background.

We used to watch the bullet "trace" coaching for high power rifle teams during rapid fire matches. A good coach can keep his shooters in the bull by judging where impact will be on the target based on where the arc breaks and talk his shooter back into bull if he drifts off during a string.

In roughly 20 years of competition, only on one occasion have I actually seen my shooter's bullets and they appeared as if a bright shiny copper wire had been strung from a few yards in front of the firing line to the target. I guess the sun light was just right that day to show reflection off the bullet.

Have also seen 58 cal. rifled musket ball travel to 100 yd target through binoculars, but they're big and slow.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

I wonder if flat binoculars sensor vision sometimes.
A friend with glasses doesn't always see things as I did either.
unsure.gif

Lots of seeing them in 500 yard matches andin 200 yard IHMSA when the light was right.

I don't think I've ever seen a rim fire round though.

Greg

Originally Posted By: 6724works best if the sun is behind you. I used to watch my 50 rounds go, way easier to watch someone else's rounds.
Sun was at my back and these bullets are lead non coated. I wonder if I was shooting copper bullets would I still been able to see them. Just at the right place and time I guess.

I watched a youtube video a little while back where the camera was picking them up. Seems like they were shooting a Grendel a few hundred yards. I'll see if I can find it again.

Yes, you are correct. With a white target on very clear day, and clear optics, I can follow 22lr bullets as they pass through the target. Very cool. If you focus on the target more than the bullet you can actually see the hole opening up and occasionally catch the bullet penetrating through the target. I often notice when shooting my 10/22 with a 6.5-20 EFR

Yep majority of our shooting on the farm is shooting to the East so in the evenings we get to watch the trace and later in the evening you can follow the base of the bullet for a long ways with the sun glare off of it.
Never paid that much attn to it at short range [beeep].

Back in the early 90's I worked at one of the local Cop Shops that sold just about everything possible. I had the privilege to shoot a full auto Thompson with the stick mags. I was able to see the projectiles go down to the 25 yd mark and pass through the paper. Indoor range with over head lighting. Amazing.

i used to love watching the bullets from my 40 arch out when we'd do the 50yd shots with our pistols.

so yea.. seeind those 22's floatin down to the target is not far off the mark

Decades ago I saw my first bullet in flight. As a kid and trading an aluminum boat for a .25 ACP to carry on my trapline.
After a few short comings I decided to shoot a can one afternoon.
In 20 or 30 ft I saw the bullet slowly going to the can and figured that was part of the problem and sold the gutless wonder to a woman that really wanted it.

Originally Posted By: tripod3When the lighting conditions are right it is common.

It's all about the light. When we shoot matches at night, because of the back lighting, we see them go downrange all the time.

During the day it can be harder. Letting your scope go slightly out of focus can help the contrail show up easier.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: tripod3When the lighting conditions are right it is common.

It's all about the light. When we shoot matches at night, because of the back lighting, we see them go downrange all the time.

During the day it can be harder. Letting your scope go slightly out of focus can help the contrail show up easier.

Yup, it's all about the light. I picked up a TLR1HL light for my handguns and started doing some practice at night, with the bright light on directly under the barrel it makes .45 acp ball ammo look like tracers, .40's are easy to pick up too. I was really surprised when my buddy did some night shooting with his 6.8spc and I was watching faint streaks and calling his hits even with a bullet moving that quick.

That's different from the vapor trails left from high powered rifles at a longer range, it's fun to watch bullets in a 15mph cross wind going to a 1000 yard target.

back when I shot high power silhouette matches we could see the bullet and know if it was going to knock over the ram before it got there pretty cool

Back