Chicken Scrap Coyote

DoubleUp

I took this one last night about 11. She first hit the bait pile yesterday morning between 5:30 and 6:30, but I was surprised that she was back so early with it raining pretty hard.

I decided to post this here because some guys have questions about the Photon scopes. This is the 4.6 XT model. The shot was 100 yds. You will notice there is no IR whiteout at the shot. That is because I have a pretty big IR light mounted on my shop that shines from sundown to sunup, but the area that it lights well is pretty limited. It will let you know what the old model Photon's are capable of.

Not a very good photo of the coyote from last night after soaking in a pouring rain all night. The 58 V-max broke her front should and leg but did not exit on the side showing. I don't normally shoot them in the shoulder with a V-max, but I wanted to see what it would do on bone.

This female has a white tip, so I guess I get two points for this one.

. by Double Up, on Flickr

Last edited:
It is the best entry level NV scope that you can actually have a decent hunting experience with. I have 3 of them and keep one on my bait pile rifle just for that purpose. The FOV is a bit of a handicap when calling predators if they get too close and you have to try and find them in the scope. I had some difficulty going from the thermal scanner to picking them up with the Photon, but my hunting buddy still uses one and manages it pretty well. I made several coyote kills around 225 yds. with mine.

Back