Valley View

Snowshoes

Another inch of fresh snow and a temperature of -2F is what greeted me as I stepped out of the house this morning. Drove a mile east of home and parked behind a large pile of bales just off the hi-way. A ravine running north into the river valley has netted me a few coyotes over the years and I was hopeful to repeat my past experiences. Set up in front of a pile of straw and then began my best to coax a coyote out of the nearby valleys. High hopes eventually faded away after a half hour of no results, I decided to pack up and to drive to the feedlot area near another valley.
After parking the truck east of the yard site, I make my way to the edge of the valley. A quick scan of the valley produces three coyotes to the east that are already headed back to their bedding grounds. These coyotes are safe as all advantage went in their favor.
I continue west to an area where I can get a view of the dead pit area and after getting to that vantage point, I see at least one coyote feeding. To get closer without being detected would require dropping down to the creek channel and follow that west to a draw that I could follow back to the top. A half mile walk would be required but on such a fine morning it should be a treat. After following the creek channel for a few hundred yards it was time to cut north and follow a deep draw to top of the valley. Fighting the temptation to take a sneak peak, I kept hid in the deep draw as I worked my way to a east/west fence line on top. Peered over the edge of the bank and see a set of coyote ears at the dead pit. Once the coyotes head goes out of sight I move a few feet closer to set up. Range the spot at 186 yards and pick an opening where the north/south cross fence shouldn’t interfere. Only a few seconds pass before seeing the coyote again but its on the run and being chased by another. The pair return and I put the cross hairs on the nicest looking one. The crack of the 223AI is instantly followed by a “zing” sound! Barbwire and 64 gr. Berger’s do no compliment each other when they meet face to face. So much for my clear view through the cross fence.
The two coyotes plus a third bust from the pit. The first two are gone but the third one heads my direction before cutting south to drop into the valley. When it stops, all I can see is its head but that should be enough. The sound of the bullet hitting the coyotes melon left no doubt that the coyote was down. Not a good coyote but still a coyote. Shot was later ranged at 97 yards.

Another good story Snowshoes...the number of coyotes you put yourself on is amazing...how much longer until they start rubbing in your area?

Originally Posted By: Schod03Another good story Snowshoes...the number of coyotes you put yourself on is amazing...how much longer until they start rubbing in your area?
Will kinda depend on the weather, a warm snap can change things in a big hurry but typically mid February and on.

Originally Posted By: emptymagNice
Thanks

Thank you guys
thumbup1.gif

Back