Trail zeroing question for you guys

Zeroing that high with a scope that is 3.1" above the bore center will make you even higher out at 125 to 150 ish. That would scare me because I always tend to hold higher as opposed to lower. Do you always hold low on sub 175 shots with that 0?

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Zeroing that high with a scope that is 3.1" above the bore center will make you even higher out at 125 to 150 ish. That would scare me because I always tend to hold higher as opposed to lower. Do you always hold low on sub 175 shots with that 0?

According to the attached ballistics calculator my load only raises another 1/2" in the 125 to 150 yard range and is right at zero at 225 yards...so the max elevation it sees is 2.5" high. This also has my scope at 3.0" above bore. I haven't been able to confirm what it actually does out at 225 yards, so this is all I have to go on. Yes, I seem to do a low hold and when I have POI at zero at 100yds it seems that I tend to miss. I hope the link shows up and is accessable.
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/

Last edited:
Looks like the link won't work, but this calculator allows you to input your bullet BC, scope height above bore, velocity and altitude correction. The 55gr Sierra bullet only has a .185BC and my velocity is only right at 3000fps. You can input data to give you 5yd tp 100yd increments and set your desired zero point and trajectory way out to 1000yds. Ironically, if it is zeroed at 100yds it doesn't raise hardly at all(less than 1/4") to about 125yds and then starts dropping back down.
I may try changing the coordinates and shooting a group and then changing them back and shooting a group and see what happens. I figure the more things I try, to get the scope to screw up the more things I can eliminate as being a problem other than the guy behind the trigger.

I have always used hornadys ballistic calculater. I guessed you were shooting a .223 with a .257 bc bullet at 2900. I find a very high percentage of our shot to be 120 to 150 yards. I 0 my 3500 fps 22 nosler at 100. In theory Im .2 high at 125 and 150 and .5 low at 200. Only 1.2 low at 225. This gives me a dead on hold to 225 and beyond that it turns into a crap shoot anyway. I hold on their back at 300. By all means it what you do works for you don't pay attention to my ideas lol. I just like to optimize my 0 for those high percentage 50 to 200 yard shots. Thats why I shoot the flattest AR cartridge I can get. Coyotes have a way of melting my nerves of steel like butter.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I have always used hornadys ballistic calculater. I guessed you were shooting a .223 with a .257 bc bullet at 2900. I find a very high percentage of our shot to be 120 to 150 yards. I 0 my 3500 fps 22 nosler at 100. In theory Im .2 high at 125 and 150 and .5 low at 200. Only 1.2 low at 225. This gives me a dead on hold to 225 and beyond that it turns into a crap shoot anyway. I hold on their back at 300. By all means it what you do works for you don't pay attention to my ideas lol. I just like to optimize my 0 for those high percentage 50 to 200 yard shots. Thats why I shoot the flattest AR cartridge I can get. Coyotes have a way of melting my nerves of steel like butter.
smile.gif

Definitely a faster cartridge will improve things. I just have always like this bullet on coyotes and it seems to be easy to get an accurate load worked up. I am still trying to determine exactly where I want my POI at 100yds and I agree that basically most shots are going to be 50-150yds(hopefully). I just cannot get a good feel for yardage at night...I am going to try to come up with a way to use the scopes rangefinder to give a relative indication as to yardage...going to get something the approximate size of a coyote and set it at different distances and see what the rangefinder says and go from there. If I set it at 100yds and it reads approx. 80yds then I know out in the field if I get an 80yd reading it is more like 100yds...if that makes sense. Still trying to get a feel for things.
How well does your radius rangefinder work? Almost wish I had gotten in on the Brownell's closeout on them.
I did record one of my misses the other night and that is when I noticed I seemed to hold low. I was able to freeze frame the video and move it a frame at a time and right at the shot, I was at the belly line...so that is why I am trying to get it a little higher...I can only guess that the yote was between 100-150yds...may have been more, but I can't seem to get it right just yet.

Radius rangefinders are great but they tend to get bumped around and loose their point of aim. I need to check it more ofter but when they are zeroed they are wondeeful.

Additional testing today...fired 1 shot with same settings as yesterday and as you can see it was dead nuts on today from yesterday. Then decided after discussing with varminter223 and my friend Jim to lower POI by 1" and have that be my new zero. Changed the elevation coordinate down 1" and fired 2 shots, went down to look at target, walked back to gun and fired 2 more shots and this is the results. I think I'm done with this and need to concentrate on shooting coyotes.
2079.jpg

2080.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Radius rangefinders are great but they tend to get bumped around and loose their point of aim. I need to check it more ofter but when they are zeroed they are wondeeful.
I may have to look for a used one for sale or something...I just don't like not knowing how far the shot is, but if I guess if I trust the gun/load/scope combo enough and feel confident about the trajectory, I just need to do better trigger control.

Looks like your in business! I like that new zero. You had me concerned with the higher one. Missing coyotes is a terrible thing lol! Im gonna shot mine today before I go out tonight.

Last edited:
Back