Fresh snow coyote

Snowshoes

Not leaving the house last weekend due to being sick, it was nice to venture out for a hunt this morning. Fresh snow and colder temperatures put a new look on the morning countryside.
Feeling better but still not 100% this morning would mean a short hunt with little walking. I had a place in mind and hoped it would produce once again. Last night I send a text to the farmer who has a hog farm nearby. We ran into him and his wife a couple weeks ago and he informed me they had just got a new dog (pup) and if he knew when I was coming, he would make sure to keep the dog in the house. Not a mean dog, but a lick you and jump on you type dog. Pups being pups, he would not be a good hunting companion quite yet.
With a fresh blanket of snow to gaze my eyes at, it never revealed much for fresh sign as I made the 8 mile drive to the farm. A few deer could be seen feeding in the fields but not much else. Pulled into the yard site and parked at the pump house between the house and barn. No dog out to greet me which was good. From there, it would be a quarter mile walk to the furthest east lagoon. Set up with a thick stand of tangled sweet clover stalks at my back which should hide my outline.
Start off with a short and not overly loud series of distress calls and within a couple minutes after tucking the call away, here comes Mr. Coyote.
I have to move a bit to get the rifle lined up and the coyote picks up on that motion. He must have been hopeful as he trotted a few feet closer before stopping to look the situation over again. With the cross hairs centered on its chest, it was just a matter of sending a 64 gr. Bullet on its way. The shot was true, and I was rewarded with a nice furred male coyote.
A short walk back to the truck and easy drive over to the coyote proved to me, easy coyote hunts sometimes do exist!!!
I contemplated calling another stand of two but thought better of it and steered the Truck for home. Some yard clean-out would be required upon my arrival anyways.

Last edited:
great picture.
thumbup1.gif

Back