223 Wolf Gold brass??

rudymontana

I have been finding Wolf Gold brass 223. It seems to have about the same hardness when trimming etc. as LC Brass. Anybody using it and what are your thoughts on the quality? I know it comes from Russia and a person has to chafer the primer holes.

I sort all my brass by weight. The Wolf falls into the "C" category of 3rd heaviest. Some oddball military brass is real heavy ( 100+grs) the Wolf is around 97grs. Most others like LC & FED are 95-96grs. I use it for 55FMJ plinker loads. It may be great brass but it is a bit heavier than most.

I've used it for test loads, shoots as well as other brands IMO. I don't have a enough of it from range pickups to base a load on it but it also serves as fouler loads.

I picked up several hundred of the ,223 Wolf brass from a night shoot. The quality seemed on par with most brands, weighed in at the same as my LC. They are on their second reload now, the annealing color has faded some but the brass is doing fine. I actually find this sample is pretty good stuff for varmint shooting. If I lose a few....meh, pick up some more next time
smile.gif

I picked up 1k primed brass from Wolf years ago, loaded it for just my bolt action. I've gotten great accuracy with it, just have to deal with the primer crimp as you do with most brass like this. Weighs fine, gives me one hole accuracy, cleans up will. Flash holes need to be deburred, but any 223/556 brass made since Newtown definitely will need to be touched up, they were making it to fast to really look at the small details in my opinion.

I have shot some for plinking rounds and all the brass I resized for my 25-45 Sharps. It has produced some pretty consistent loads in this caliber, I haven't reloaded any for .223. Out of all the cases I necked up to 25 caliber, I have had only two split necks. Overall, I think it is pretty good brass but have no idea how many loadings it will last.

Back