Lake City 223 Brass

Complete waist of time, in fact you can send them to me and I will dispose of them
thumbup.gif

In reality it's great brass for reloading, it's cheap, tough and consistent.

LC brass has thicker walls than most other brass so work your loads up accordingly. For example if you have a warm Hornady brass load and use the same powder charge in LC you may end up with pressure issues.

I've found it to be better than Winchester .223 brass. Win brass seems to have loose primer pockets from the get go for .223. Not so with LC brass.

Also you may need to trim the mouth back as many mil spec ammo is long or at max case length. Also chamfer the mouth. It's good brass. I sort it by headstamp and date.

I like LC brass. I have even had great luck the American Eagle non nato stuff too.

LC brass is a little harder than some brands out there. That is a good thing with semi auto brass eaters.

I use a dedicated Lyman de capping die to punch crimped primers out.

RCBS and Dillon make nice pocket swagers.

A little crow case trimmer is nice too. Most need lots of trimming.

Once fired LC brass is very labor intensive to get shooting again.

Last edited:
I bought 3,000 NEW LC 223 brass from Natchez quite a few years ago when they had it on sale for $219.99 per one thousand.

The New brass was great with no crimped primer pockets, it fire forms to 223AI real good.

Shoots great in my 6x45, I believe the primer pockets were swadged with a Dillion swadger to remove crimps.

I don't pick up any while night hunting.

I used a lot of it. Actually, the vast majority of my .223 is loaded in LC brass. I like to use it for 6x45, as well. As mentioned, it usually requires a fair bit of work to trim it down and clean out the primer pocket. However, once that's done, its good, tough brass and will survive several trips back to the reloading bench.

Back