IF YOU WERE BUYING A DECOY DOG??

jeepnsammys

if you were buying a decoy dog what breed would you be after? and if you were buying a started decoy dog who would you buy from? im wanting a started decoy dog but would appreciate you feed back to help in my decision. thanks

Cur or Cur/cross has worked for me. Dont be afraid of a dog with a little size. Dont obsess over getting a "little" dog. They are fine if you are doing denning or need one to go in a hole. My guess is thats not what you are after or anything you need. Most little dogs spend more time under your chair than working the coyote. Thats why people who use them take 4 or 5 at once.

Just cause a dog has "grit" dont make it a good decoy dog. When I look at a litter of pups I pick the calmest one, not the grittiest.

Anything crossed with a terrier is a no go for me personally. That is the only breed Ive not been able to make a good dog out of.

Im actually fixing to try a Red Heeler. I will prolly regret my choice, but we will see.

Catahoulas or some cross of such. betch29 has had a good started dog for sale. "Frep" one of the fastest decoy dogs ive ever seen

Last edited:
btech29,
You choice surprises me. While you do have great dogs, I don't understand the issue with Terriers?

[beeep] everything I am running right now is either a full blood terrier or a terrier cross. My full blooded Jagdt. is the smallest dog I have at 15 lbs or so and also the farthest ranging dog I have. I have to keep an eye on her so she don't get too far out. More than once she has been 400-600 out and I'm thinking shes out there without help. The Airedale stays closer and the half Jagdt./Half Airedale seems to split the difference. I'm picking up a half Jagdt. Cur cross in March from a guy and will give one a try.

Brent, personal experiences influence a mans opinions. Ive tried them and I see others who use them. Just not for me. Ive yet to see one I would feed, but of course Ive not seen everything out there. There may be some dandy dogs around that I dont know about. A one trip wonder who comes back and stands by you because he is "tired" but has plenty of energy to run out and wool the piss out of one after you shoot is not for me. Just personal preference.

If a guy feeds a dog then he can run whatever he wants. If they make him happy then thats all that matters. Your dogs may be very good, Ive just not seen them. I would like to come hunt with you some time. Maybe it would change my mind.

My opinion is just that, an opinion.

Jeff,
I understand, I've had the same experience with curs. I've tried quite a few. Saw no propensity for pain from them. I normally hunt a single dog. An [beeep] whooping is what they are going to take. Never found a cur that would willing go into the same situation day after day knowing they were going to end up with holes in them. Yet I have friends that have curs that I know do that. They just never worked out for me. I always prefer the meanest female in the litter. I can take the fire out but its hard to put it in them. I had a bluetick/blue heeler cross that was probably the best dog I ever owned. Have a friend running a straight blue heeler that's really working out. I have a Red Jagdt. that's really working out. If I could super size her to 35-40 lbs I'd sell the rest. She has an immense hate for coyotes just not enough [beeep] to back it up.
This cur/terrier cross I am getting in March may finally bridge the gap. One thing I know if you want a good dog your going to go thru a few dogs. They don't all have what it takes. Mine need to follow drags on the trapline, fall decoy, spring decoy and go to a howl, and help locate dens. Dogs that do all well are worth their weight in Gold. So far I have only had 1. I've had dogs that have done one or two of those tasks well but all of them is a tall order. We all have our preferences and styles. I hunt everything from tight brush shotgunning with a dog to wide open country were shooting distance is possible. But I use a dog 8 months out of the year so the time and miles are there for them to figure it out if they can. But I would probably give this up if I couldn't use a dog. It just adds to the experience. I hope you are having a good season.

Last edited:
Right on Brent, we are talking apples and oranges. Im just a rec hunter. If I had to ask a dog to do everything you need one to do my opinion might be different. Sounds like you got a good handle on your operation. Keep up the good work.

Back