E-Caller Testing- Continued Remote Functions and Details

snowcamoman

Sorry about the delay in getting the photos posted. The slow boat connection at home wasn't happening. These aren't the greatest photos, but do show how they all look and compare together. I'll tell about each one's functions and more information later today. But for now, here are what they look like.

Here are all remotes.
AllRemotesFront.jpg

AllRemotesHeights.jpg

Photos of Each Individually

FoxPro Remote
FX3RemoteFront.jpg

FPRemoteLanyardLoop.jpg

Minaska Bandit Remote
BanditRemoteFrontwithList.jpg

BanditRemoteBackwithcoveroff.jpg

Western Rivers Predation Remote
WRRemoteFront.jpg

Wildlife Technologies Remote
WTRemoteFront.jpg

FoxPro and Bandit Remotes Glowing in the Dark. Pitch Black environment
FPRemoteGlowing.jpg

BanditRemoteGlowing.jpg

How do you pick and know what sounds you are sending to the caller on the WT and WR? Looks like it would take allot of playing to get it down pat!

This is just a quick response cougerbait. This evening I'll tell all remote functions/details.
With the WT, you push # then the sound number. For 21 for example, # 2 1 would need to be pushed. I made a small adhesive backed soundlist for the back of the remote so I know what sounds to select.
With the WR, I laminated a small sheet and carry it with me. The WR is a really small sized remote and the list is too tough to read so I just keep a separate list.
I'll get more detail later. Hope this worked for now.

Note: The last two photos of the glowing remotes looks like one solid remote. The FoxPro is on the top with their name on the bottom. Just below where FoxPro's remote says "the caller of the wild" is where the Bandit remote begins.

It is all good snow. Get to it when you can. I think that it is great that you are doing this. I have not had the opertunity to play with those 2 callers. Just trying to figure it out.

Thank you for all your hard work and time.

I am also interested in the phantom but the pro series. Any one used one of these? Can I assume that the calls/sounds from most electronic calls are similar? Another question for anyone: are the speakers for electronic calls rated by watts, like 15 watt or 25 watt speaker? Some mp3's that I am reading about do not list speaker wattage.

Sorry guys, can't help you on this one. I've got my hands full with the callers I do have at the moment. As soon as this Alaskan weather gets a little bit nicer, there will be an update to all remote tests, followed by the loudness testing and some other good measures in-between. I hope somebody can help answer Phantom e-caller question for you.

JBordy, Don't assume that. I had some experiance with an E-caller in the past that wouldn't call squat and sounded like squat too! Thought I would give it a try, Heck it's on the market with the rest of them it must work better than I thought it sounded. No names mentioned but, it was a POS and is no longer around here. It didn't have a remote either, just a push pad and a 50' speaker wire.

THE NEW WILDLIFE TECHNOLOGIES CALLER (2030) IS MUCH MORE USER FRIENDLY. ALL OF THE FUNCTIONS ARE WRITTEN ON THE KEY PAD. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMEMBER NEAR AS MUCH. ALSO, THE NEW VERSION IS MORE COMPACT AND NO LONGER REQUIRES A BAG TO CARRY IN AND OUT OF THE FIELD. I HAVE USED THE CALLER ONLY A FEW TIMES, BUT CAN TELL THAT IT IS THE BEST CALLER I HAVE EVER USED. I HAVE PREVIOUSLY HAD TWO FOXPROS, A JOHNNY STEWART CD, AND SEVERAL DIFERENT MOUTH CALLS. THERE IS NO COMPARISON IN THE WAY THE CALLERS SOUND, THE WT CALLER BLOWS ALL THE REST AWAY. ALSO, THE VOLUME IS EXTREMELY LOUD AND CLEAR. WITH THIS CALLER, I GET A RESPONSE AT ALMOST EVERY STAND.

Thanks for the updates, I agree, the info is old. How are the range comparisons for all three nowadays? Should be very similar since I believe they're all using the same Linx RF chip. That WT remote is BIG!!!! Does the WT remote have a battery access on the back or does it require taking the housing apart? Good info, thanks.

traeis best,you wouldn't be the Travis from Bills site now would you? you can't claim the caller is the item that gets anyone a high response rate, you have to call to coyotes that want to respond and have to be within range of those coyotes! The best caller is not going to help you if your not on location!

You say you have used the WT only a few times, a more accurate report good or not will be does it do what you have seen over the long haul!

Have you ever used a Minaska caller? I have used an older WT,and well let's just say it gathers dust anymore.

Last edited:
The remote is too large to fit in a pocket, it doesn't have a lanyard yet, and it takes a screwdriver to access the battery. Bill says the battery will last five years. It has a sleep feature that activates too quickly for my taste. Once it's gone to sleep, you can punch all the buttons in the world and it does nothing. You have to hit the wake button first.

edited for yelling.

Last edited:
With the new WT, can you make the caller "lock up" if you push a button too fast or out of sequence? I know with the older units it was fairly easy to push a button and then have it lock up. So when it goes to sleep, what button is used to "Wake up" the remote? When it goes to sleep, you have to press "wake up", sound number, Play in that order to get to the next sound? Is the keypad on the WT a similar material as the Minaska and FoxPro, or is it more of a silicone type material? Thanks for the info.

Nope. Now that the FRS/DTMF is gone, the WT is much less easily confused, seems to initialize properly every time, and behaves better. Gone are the days of 50% operational reliability. The keypad is very similar to the other brands and it has a wakey-wakey button (lower left "shift" button in the picture) that everyone forgets to push twice; a green led tells you its awake again - very unhandy when you're trying to hush the thing up for coaxing as Mr. Coyote is sneaking in by just punching a number.

Three button sound changes "shift"-"#"-"#". One button volume changes "#". Still has 6 volume levels. And has 10 two button presets, "fav"-"#".

Notice I put the large font red backlit FoxPro remote in the picture above. I like mine much better now. Easy to switch back and forth, large font, small list, large font, small list. Turns on in small list format every time.

I have now had three Wildlife Technologies call, starting with their first. I agree with the comments about the latest model. They are awesome, both in terms of ease of use and sound quality.

When you upgrade, they give you and additional 32 sounds. I now have 68 different sounds, enough to call everything except moose. We don't have many of those in Texas.

Not only is the sound quality excellent and the unit easy to use, the people at WT are great to work with.

I've been using a W/T caller for a couple of years now. Haven't used any other callers so don't have anything to judge as better or worse. I do have a couple of peeves though.
1. The web site says 150-800 range for the remote, Ha NO WAY!!
The best I've ever gotten is 80 paces (yds) and that has to be line of sight or you have nothing.
2. Bill has many sounds but to add any it is not only expensive but inconvenient to send the caller back to add them.
I agree, Bill and everyone has been great to work with when I've had problems with batteries, chargers, caller.
Good folks,
Are these common issues with e-callers or exclusive to W/T?
I'm planning on getting another caller for my winter calling in Arizona so would appreciate some input.
Thanks,
Cal

Has anyone tried the new Knight and Hale Total E-Call? Looking to invest in one but cant find any reviews on it anywhere. If anyone has used it and can give me a little heads up on how it works and everything it would sure help me in my decision. Thanks

Back