Shotgun ammo?

5rshooter

Hi all! I'm having trouble finding "coyote" suitable 12 ga ammo locally. Have tried every gun shop, pawn shop within a 100 mile radius and all say they're out of stock at the moment. Looking for the Winchester varmint x bb load and Federal vital shok #4 buck both 3 inch. Anyone else have this trouble or is it a seasonal thing? Found it online but shipping was high.

In the long run it is cheaper to order it. Driving around looking for it costs money and takes more time and you may never find it within 100 miles.

Coyote shotgun loads are like toilet paper, you shouldn't wait until you need it, to order it or go buy some.

I'm new at the shotgun hunting for coyote. Have plenty of turkey shells but just branching out for yotes. Didn't drive to all the places, just a quick phone call. I did order some online last night. Hopefully one will pattern out of what i found and i can stock up when they hit shelves here again.

Originally Posted By: digger11 Use the turkey loads,,the yotes won't know the difference.

w00t.gif
bad advice. ^^^

you are doing the right thing by ordering something other than turkey loads.
thumbup1.gif

Some states limit the shot size for Turkey season. In Iowa, legal Turkey loads would not do well on Coyotes. I prefer Rem. 4 buck as an "over the counter" type load for Yotes.

Thanks guys! I should be able to get out and pattern these this weekend, never know i may get lucky and not have to chase down a load that will give a pattern like i want.

Originally Posted By: digger11 Use the turkey loads,,the yotes won't know the difference.

Well... maybe, maybe not. What's your experience with turkey loads on coyotes?

I see your from TN and as you probably know state regs say that buckshot is not legal for yotes. The largest shot you can use is T shot. I have had good luck using Hevi Shot #4 turkey loads on yotes. It really hits them hard and pattern fairly well out to 40 yards with the right choke.

Last edited:
The only time to use turkey loads is when a coyote responds while you are turkey hunting. At 15 yds a head shot, OK, but use BB or larger, even #2 is iffy. You wouldn't hunt a 20 pound turkey with a skeet load of #9, don't hunt a 35 pound coyote with #6 orb #4 shot.

Masshunter, that's easy to say when your stupid state limits you to small shot. I agree that you should use the largest shot you can. In backwards azz TN on a management area the largest you can use is #2 shot for coyotes. In state wide or private they limit you to T shot. I asked the game warden about this and he said it is for safety reasons. He said you can shoot ducks with T shot but can only use #2 on coyotes. I asked if it is safer to shoot T shot at airborne birds but not at coyotes on the ground? He didn't have a answer. TN don't make a lot of sense with their hunting regulations.

We used to be limited to #2 until about 8 years ago,and I used it with with so so results. Now we can use up to F, which is about one thousandth smaller than #4 buck,and costs 5 times as much. Fox and cat are still limited to #2. But during daytime you can use any rifle, so you can shoot a cat or fox with a 460wby, but no shot bigger than #2. You wonder where some of these regs. come from.

Originally Posted By: yotekiller47Masshunter, that's easy to say when your stupid state limits you to small shot. I agree that you should use the largest shot you can. In backwards azz TN on a management area the largest you can use is #2 shot for coyotes. In state wide or private they limit you to T shot. I asked the game warden about this and he said it is for safety reasons. He said you can shoot ducks with T shot but can only use #2 on coyotes. I asked if it is safer to shoot T shot at airborne birds but not at coyotes on the ground? He didn't have a answer. TN don't make a lot of sense with their hunting regulations.

Politics is what limits shot size.

To the OP, just order it... but even that might be difficult, they don't run a lot of those coyote specific shells each year so they are usually in high demand this time of year. I just did a search for what I shoot, the hornady magnum coyote BB and every place was out of stock. You can get it in 00B from academy online if that interests you. But I think just any standard 4B load would be just fine, you should be able to find 4B at any big box store (dicks, academy, some walmarts, bass pro, cabelas, etc). The super-X 4B shot well for me before I stocked up on the hornady, but I never did put them on a yote.. just paper.

at 5 yards maybe. I've put a few 3.5" 2.25oz supreme #4's on coyotes faces during turkey season at 25-35yds, they let out a screech and jump about 3 feet in the air then take off running at a full sprint.

Back