Chronographing loads?

zr600

Ok now when you guys do load development do you chronograph all them while working up and pick loads with the smallest es and sd and tune the group with small charge weight change or seating depth changes? Or you pick the best group go with it and chronograph that? I have one of the older Caldwell chronographs and my cousin has the new one that’s upside down. Now we chronographed his loads with mine, and now he chronographed the same load about the same temps and mine read 100-150 FPS faster what would cause this? Now I have thought about upgrading to the magneto speed chronograph but was wondering if it strapped to the end of my surpressor or barrel would change the groups?

The magneto speed chronograph will not change the group size it will change the POI.
Do your testing, then sight in the rifle with only the suppresser.
With a magneto speed chronograph the FPS will be higher then a regular chronograph because it's 10 feet closer to the muzzle.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Putting anything on the end of your barrel can change your group size.
Yes it does so does a suppressor. you have to do some work before hand, find the most accurate load with the suppresser and then check the speed.
10 feet will make a difference. your bullet is slowing down the millisecond it exits the barrel, some start slowing BEFORE it leaves like a 22 rim.

Originally Posted By: 672410 feet closer will not make any difference

I've run my Magnetospeed inline with my dad's Oehler 35P and I loaned my MS to a friend that also ran it inline with his Oehler 35P. On both occasions the MS showed between 10-20fps faster than the conventional chronographs and that was done with a variety of different rifles.

Hi ZR600,

I use a chronograph for all load development. I have found it easiest to put it directly on the ground and then shoot prone with a bipod. Set up is less than a couple minutes at the most.

You will find you can sometimes get pretty good groups even if your velocity spreads are high. This is great at 100 yards and such. But if you want to be very critical about your work, and have longer range consistency shot to shot your velocity spreads need to be as low as you can get them.

I have not found to many loads with real low extremes spreads that shot bad. Basically a chorno will help you develop much better longer range ammo.

For me if the load can't make it inside 35fps spread i scrap the project and try something different.

Inside 25 is much better.

This is much easier said than done. It is a lot of work.

I work a load to find the most accurate. Then I break out the bullet speed ometer. Doesn't matter how fast it is going, if it is not accurate.

I chrono everything at 10ft. My ballistic calculator has a function to calculate muzzle velocity based off the 10ft velocity, all the way out to one million yards.

I use the the chrono to make sure my spreads are within reason and if I see the velocity flatline or start getting pressure. It's all data and helps me see exactly what is going on with my loads.

I chrono my loads at 15 feet from the muzzle, as at 10 feet, I would occasionally experience false reading from the muzzle blast interfering with the sky screens. I have the Oehler 33 chrono.

Back