Zero Distance for my AR

Ok guys, coming to you all for some advice. I have a Colt AR .223 with a 16" barrel. I have a Nikon P-223 BDC 600 Scope (1" offset) and I'm shooting the Hornady 55 gr V-Max factory loads.
I do most of my hunting in western WV along the Ohio River so it resembles the midwest a little more than most of the state, but we still don't have these real long 400-500 shots. I'm guessing a real long shot would be in the 250-325 yard range. SO, basically most of my shots will be inside of 250 yds.

I'd appreciate hearing some opinions on how you all might sight this gun in. What distance would you zero the gun at to best fit my normal ranges for shots? Really don't like the idea of holding off the body on a shot, but I know at over 300 yds with my AR, that may be necessary. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

I prefer a 100 yard zero and learn the drops, others zero at 75 yards and hit a little high at 100 then near zero again at 200.

At 300 yards and over you will certainly be holding above the body, or you could zero at 300 yards then hold under the body at anything closer but that would be crazy.

Holding off the body means nothing, just practice a lot and learn where your bullets are going. A scope's zero means nothing it's all personal preference, the bullets ballistics are going to stay the same no matter what your scope is doing.

That's good stuff. Appreciate the info. I must say some of this I was thinking anyway, but it's kinda like the added insurance of keeping a map out when you already know where you are going. It's nice to hear it from someone else.

Last edited:
I just ran the numbers through a ballistic app. Assuming ~2900 fps from those factory loads: Sighting in 2" high at 200 yards is ~5.7" low at 300 and ~3" high at 100. That's probably what I'd do, if I actually thought I'd take a 300 yard shot, I tend to limit myself to 250 or so because I'm bad at estimating distance.

I use the MPBR calculator alot.
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/point-blank-range.php

Put all your info in and it gives you a good idea as to what you can expect.
55gr Vmax / .255BC / 2900FPS / 2" scope height / 4" target height
37/204 yard zero
MPBR is 236 yards for that setup.

Plug all that into a Drop calculator and it shows that your 8.3" low at 300 yards.

GO out and confirm the data and then your set.

I usually do either a 200 or 250 yard zero, depends on caliber and such. The places we hunt there is rarely a 100 yard shot, if it does present itself at 100 yards all i would do is hold low.

Get the zero you want and go shoot it in 50 yard increments. If your not happy with it then adjust and start over.

I zero all my .223’s at 200yds. Most shots are under than, just point and click 0-200 yds. Puts me around 11” low at 300 and 26” low at 400.

I find my AR scopes to be 2.8" above bore center. That makes difference on your trajectory. Measure to be sure. I think you will find 1.25 high at 100 will be close to dead on at 200. Should give you a dead on hold out to 225 and less then 1.5" high or low from dead on from 25 to 225. My brain always forces me to error to the high side after that.

Last edited:
Personally I run the numbers in a ballistic calculator program and try to find the most ranges, with the least amount of drop. I figure that if you drop 3-4 inches, that's a miss on a coyote. So if you find the broadest ranges of yardages, and still stay inside that 3-4 inches, you are going to have a lot more success.

Personally I have found the most ranges without major adjustments to be at the 75 yard zero. Then build up a DOPE chart/card that I put on my gun. That way I know exactly what my BDC's are doing for me.

Bottom line, regardless of what zero you choose, you need to get out to the range and shoot at all the different distances that you think you might be shooting at. Practice makes perfect. All the rest is theoretical.

Go here: https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/
You will need to measure the distance of the scope center above the bore and fill in the rest. My AR is sighted to be 2" high @100yds to be right on at 200. The trajectory shows it being at zero or 0.1" high @ 50 yds to beon zero @ 200. If the kye-oat is 300yds out I just hold at the top of the back if broadside on his nose if frontal. With a 200 yds zero you can pretty much just hold right on out a little past 200. That is plenty simple as am I.

I zero at 100 since 90% of the coyotes I kill are less than 100 yards and most of those are less than 50 yards. With that, there is no reason to sight it in any further. I want to call them in close and only take the longer shots when needed. Have patience and call them in close.

I have used "Strelok" free app for a long time.
It has a list of scope's reticles.
I set my zero at 2in high at 100yds for my AR's.

I like 200 yd zero. I hate having too much mid trajectory rise. 3" is too much. I don't want holes in the top part of the back or risk shooting over or spining a coyote and ruin the best part of the fur.

I like that shooters calculator, I used 3 inches for a target size so I stay off the edge of coyote. If your average shot distance does not fall "inside the chart distances" adjust the scope accordingly, down for closer average shots or up for longer shots.

Note, I'd start by going to Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. It's free to use and has an app for both apple/android platforms that is also free. From whart you described your shooting to be like you can go to Spot On and enter optimize load, pick a vital's size and then get the info to zero your rifle and still make an impact on the vial's zone of your target. I also ran the Spot On info for you with your scope and ammo. If you set your scope to shoot 1.85 inches high at 100 yards your zero will be 235 yards and you can still impact your target's 5 inch vital's to 273 yards. Those v-max bullet's really hum along.
You can also use your BDC scope as intended and use the corresponding circle to the distance you are shooting as your aiming point. If youo wonder how well this works, I have shot soda cans past 600 yards using Spot On.
Drop me a note with any question's.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Screen%20Shot%202018-01-30%20at%201.50.14%20PM.png

Last edited:
Back