Opinion on fast twist 22-250 bergara

Remington92

Hey all I was wondering if could pick your brain about a new rifle coming out this year. Right now I’ve got a bergara Hunter 6.5cm and absolutely love it but have been waiting for a 22-250 for coyotes, well for 18 they’re making them!! Instead of the hunter though the ridge caught my eye with a #5 barrel vs #3 contour plus a threaded muzzle. The only part I’m not sure about is the barrel length and twist. They’ll be shipping with a 22” 1:9 twist. Is this too fast for most 55gr rounds? Also what sort of speed are y’all seeing with say a 69-70gr match king or Berger compared to more standard 55gr varmint rounds?

I like the idea of slinging higher bc bullets for longer range shots but don’t want to lose too much of the laser beam trajectory 22-250 is famous for.

Not too fast for 55 grainers. But, I personally have no use for the 22" barrel; too much velocity loss.
Nice to see a manufacturer making a '250 with a faster than 14-twist. No cigar, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deathwind IINot too fast for 55 grainers. But, I personally have no use for the 22" barrel; too much velocity loss.
Nice to see a manufacturer making a '250 with a faster than 14-twist. No cigar, though.

What is the velocity loss/ inch on 22-250?

The 22 inch barrel is for the hunters with a Suppressor .
Works awesome.
I shoot a 20 inch barrel 22/250 AI 8-tw , Suppressed, with Sierra 65 GameKings at 3350+fps.

Last edited:
I believe you may be able to shoot 50 gr with that twist. I think
1-9 is pickier than 1-8.
I have chrono'd my 22" .22-250 next to my friends 24" .22-250, both Tikka's with about 25-35 fps difference per inch. The variance was with different factory ammo loaded.
Certainly a minimal loss for my hunting and nothing a handloader can't erase easily. Or factory Superformance ammo can surpass most any other factory load speeds.

Originally Posted By: deathwind IINot too fast for 55 grainers. But, I personally have no use for the 22" barrel; too much velocity loss.

It’s really not too short by any means.. but hey, this is the internet so believe whatever you’ve read.

Ive got a 26" Mcgowen 9 Twist .22-250 and it shoots good from 40gr Vmax to 80 gr Bergers.
Only ones Ive chronoed is the 80gr at 3200fps.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: deathwind IINot too fast for 55 grainers. But, I personally have no use for the 22" barrel; too much velocity loss.

It’s really not too short by any means.. but hey, this is the internet so believe whatever you’ve read.

Very true on both parts of your comments.

Originally Posted By: Nonnieselman...it shoots good from 40gr Vmax to 80 gr Bergers...

I'm surprised at the 40gr ones working well with that fast of a twist. I know the 35gr NXT ones don't like it. I'm running an old school 14 twist, but that gun is set up for night hunting. My next one I was going to go to a 12 twist for a daylight/long range gun. My logic was that I don't want to give up being able to shoot the light bullets, but maybe I could go with an even faster twist rate. Very interesting stuff.

I didn't push the 40 gr to the max though. I remember they shot good with Varget, i didnt chrono them but i had a little room to go before i seen pressure at that load.

Went in and ordered one of the ridge 22-250s, apparently they haven't hit anyone's shelves and bergara rifles they ordered for last deer season just showed up a few weeks ago. So chances of having it for this coyote season are fairly slim but guess that means ill have plenty of time to work up loads for next year.

For you guys with fast twist 250s what do they seem to like eating the best? I have a 1/8 223 wylde and it wont eat anything lighter than about a 69gr matchking.

What are your expectations for "like to eat the best"?
Ive got a couple 8 twist .223s ARs and ive had the best luck with 53gr Nosler Varmageddons and 77gr Sierra TMKs.
80gr Berger is the ticket in my 9 twist .22-250.

I've owned several 14" twist 22-250 rifles over the years and each of them have shot 55 grain spitzer type bullets extremely well.

I have an 8" twist Tikka in 22-250 that I'm playing with currently, but I haven't settled on a bullet or load yet. I do know it won't be a bullet beyond the roughly 70 grain range. If I need more bullet, a 6MM cartridge of some flavor will work better for me.

I love a fast twist 22-250! I built one by rechambering a Remington varmint 223 1-9” barrel and it shoots 55gr factory loads under .5 moa.

I too purchased a Tikka T3x .22-250 with the 1/8 twist. It seems to really like a 75 gr AMAX using RL-15. However, I'm not getting the velocity I want. I am still in the process of load development and my next powder to test is H4350. I'd love to be able to push a 75 gr AMAX at 3200 fps. With a .435 BC, it should reach way out there.

Someone else mentioned using a 6mm flavor for use beyond a 70 gr bullet? I too have a .243 and to get into the .400+ BCs, it's a tough go without going specialty bullet. Once you do find something with a great BC, you usually need a 1/8 twist in your 6mm/.243 as well.

I realize this is an older post. I’ve read above that the Bergara Ridge has a 22” barrel in the 22-250. Anyhow I had saw the website listed they are 24” I ordered one and it is a 24” barrel. Just need to get it out here in a few days and see how it shoots!

Originally Posted By: Ksyotes82I realize this is an older post. I’ve read above that the Bergara Ridge has a 22” barrel in the 22-250. Anyhow I had saw the website listed they are 24” I ordered one and it is a 24” barrel. Just need to get it out here in a few days and see how it shoots!

How do you like this rifle? Been looking at it for a few weeks now.

Back