Flat base vs boattail

Originally Posted By: GLShooterMore based on the shank that is actually in contact with the lands than the back end.

Greg

This would be my take on it as well and since most BT bullets, of the same weight, have less bearing surface it would be my assumption they likely build a little less pressure than an equal weight flat base bullet.

There's a difference in custom bullets and production bullets too. Custom FB's have a pressure ring, custom BT's don't, production bullets don't.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAThere's a difference in custom bullets and production bullets too. Custom FB's have a pressure ring, custom BT's don't, production bullets don't.

- DAA . What's a pressure ring..dan

On custom bullets, the shank will be one dia. and the very base will have the pressure ring, usually .0003 larger.

Barrels are strange, they like what they like.

Most barrels will prefer a flat base bullet over a boat tail bullet, most. Marketing trends in highest bc drive boat tail design.

Serious accuracy reloaders need to own a micrometer that measures to the .0001 and smaller.

Barrels will usually like a bullet that is "tight" for the bore dia.

Nosler is usually undersize, and Hornady can be. Sierra is usually dead nuts right on.

So, if you see your barrel likes a particular brand of bullet, mic the bullet. Often when a custom bullet is used, immediately the accuracy becomes spectacular because of the slightly over size in the bullet/pressure ring.

Certain brands of custom bullets may go .0003+ on the shank dia and .0006+ on the pressure ring; these bullets are real jems when it comes to accuracy....unless someone has a very tight or undersize barrel.

When I made bullets for benchrest competition, Euber, Watson, Berger were the top brands. Bergers were dead nuts on in a 6mm caliber at .2430 shank and .2433 pressure ring
Watsons were .2431 shank with a .2433 pressure ring
Euber were .2433 shank with a .2436 pressure ring
Mine were .2433 shank with .2436 pressure ring

Barrels like what they like, and at $5000 for a set of carbide bullet making dies with all the various punches you need, you have to be flexible to go with what bullet works best for a particular barrel.

Changing bullet diameters can usually yield immediate results in groups on paper.

This knowledge can give particular good results working with a barrel maker asking for a particular dia. Barrels usually give best results with a litte "squeeze" on the bullet, not with a loose bullet rattl'en down the barrel. There are many other factors of course, but when you start picking the specks out of the pepper, you need a good place to start.

When you are having a custom gun built, a good gunsmith has a "set" of graduated pilots that is caliber specific. He fits the proper pilot to the reamer so that the reamer is not flopping around in the barrel. If you can ask the gunsmith to note the size of the bushing he used and provide that information to you, this can be an aid in helping you determine what bullet may fit your barrel in advance of firing a bullet through the barrel. This is just another tool in the tool box.

Back