I think I'm ready! How much is this gonna cost me?

jk2paintworx

I have decided to take the plunge and invest in Thermal or IR. I have a basic understanding but don't really know what I want. I think I would like to run a helmet mounted monocular and obviously a scope.

1. Is it best to have a rifle set up specifically for night or are you guys switching them around? I have a .223 ar that I could dedicate to night rifle.

2. Is helmet mounting the best way to go? Which units are best suited for this?

3. What specs should I be looking at in order to be comparing apples to apples between brands and models and what sets them apart?

4. I hunt a variety of terrain from timber to open wheat fields to sage brush. With visibility out to a mile in some cases. What do you guys suggest as far as equipment to be able to be successful and not frustrated. Hoping to stay under $5k all in with helmet, monocular, scope, mount... If possible.

5. Thermal or IR? My gut says thermal but not sure that's right. Maybe thermal monocular and IR scope? I have a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP on my 16"AR if that info helps.

The only thing I use nv for is driving/navigation. I get out 3-4 nights a week . Thermal is better 99% of the time . Everyone says nv better for positive Id, but I never have had a problem with thermal and id. Occasionally at 6-700 yds, it’s hard to tell if it a small calf, or pig in tall grass. But we’re not shooting near that far . At any distance that you can pick out a pig with nv, you can id with even entry level thermal. Having both is ideal. But if you can’t, a dedicated thermal is much better . To be clear, we kill pigs, coyotes are targets of opportunity only. But even my less expensive thermal has no trouble id coyotes at pretty good distance.

First off...most shooters are going to be limited in distance when shooting at night. That's not a dig on you, it's just a fact... shooting at night is a different ball game and range estimation can be more of a challenge.

I started out using a dedicated rifle with a white/IR light, PVS-14 helmet mounted, and a OTAL IR laser. It's good to 100 yards most of the time for me and I've killed a lot of pigs with it. That's not to say the combo can't be used past 100 yards.

Now that I've gained experience night hunting and have missed shots in the 125-150 yard range with the laser, I decided to make the next step and ordered a Pulsar Trail XP50 back in November, it should be here Wednesday. No doubt, this will increase my lethality and engagement range capabilities. I was torn between that or a D790 Magnus 6X with White Phosphor.

I've used thermal sights (friends) side by side with NV and with thermal you can see things that are hard to see with NV. Both have strengths and weaknesses in my opinion. I still plan to use both. Most of the places I hunt offer 500-700 yard visibility but most of the time game comes out at much closer distances so ID with NV and/or thermal has not been a problem. Where we are we are not going to come across a domestic dog.

I've doubled down on payments on the Thermal and I'm certainly going to get one of the D790's at or just after the New Year. That way, I will have the best of both worlds. A good investment, but hunting is my only hobby, or should I say vice, so I think that's reasonable.

I think to be happy though 5K might not get you to where you want to be... the affordable Pulsar thermals (new) will eat most of that and the higher end units are 2K to 4K more. The 6X NV scopes are every bit 5K and slightly more depending on options. A good used PVS-14 can be had for around 2K maybe and a laser about $250.

I learned in the game of night hunting to be happy you're going to have to shell out the cash... but I think it's totally worth it.

Thanks Bowhuntr. I totally agree with what you are saying about shooting at 100 yds or less. Especially at night. We do not have hogs so it will only be coyotes and although shots will be under 100 I feel like being able to pick up the coyotes out as far as possible will be a advantage as far as being able to be in shooting position when the come in. How do the ATN Thor scopes stack up against the others? Wondering if a helmet mounted Pulsar Helion 384 XQ30f 2.5-10 and a ATN x sight2 scope would get me where I want to be?

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxThanks Bowhuntr. I totally agree with what you are saying about shooting at 100 yds or less. Especially at night. We do not have hogs so it will only be coyotes and although shots will be under 100 I feel like being able to pick up the coyotes out as far as possible will be a advantage as far as being able to be in shooting position when the come in. How do the ATN Thor scopes stack up against the others? Wondering if a helmet mounted Pulsar Helion 384 XQ30f 2.5-10 and a ATN x sight2 scope would get me where I want to be?

I can't speak first hand on ATN... I've read mixed reviews. Welcome to the struggle lol.

I don't know of anyone who has yet mounted a Helion unit on a helmet although it may have been done. P-mack makes a nifty little mount to use with the Quantum series by Pulsar so they can be helmet mounted. I've been using mine about 6 months and wouldn't want to leave home without it now. Maybe someone has fabricated a mounting option for the Helion units and will jump in and give you some direction.

Can't speak on the ATN units.

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxBowhuntr. Why did you choose the XP50 over the trail XQ30 or the Helion Xq30f? What are you getting for the extra$?

I wanted a weapon mounted thermal, not a hand held.

I chose the XP50 because the supposed increased performance capability (whether or not I will realize it I don't know) it should provide a better picture than the XQ30. I also liked the increased zoom capability of 12.8X.

The 640-480 42mm lens should perform better/clearer than the 384-288 21mm lens I have been told... we will see.

I'll throw out my opinion and I am no night hunting guru. For what your looking at and the money to spend; I'd look at Pulsar. I run all ATN products, but I was under a budget for night hunting. Started with the X-sights which work good for 100 yards; which all I do is hog hunt or if a stray possum, coon, or coyote walk in. Now I use a Thor 1.25-5x which works perfect for my needs, 100 yards or less.

After a while using thermal you will get use to identifying animals movements and knowing what they are. But get a good thermal spotter and a good NV scope for coyote hunting and I believe you'll be in pretty good shape.

The xp models are 640res. Xq models are 384res. So you literally have twice the definition. Also the 30mm lens models don’t come with a focus, all the rest do.

Get an xp 50 trail and a decent handheld thermal like the hd19a or an xd19a. Then save a bit more and next year upgrade to a helion. There will always someone looking to pick up your hd or xd19a. Seems to be quite a few guys here not sure if they should take the xp Trail plunge, Nv isnt even close to the same league as 640 thermal for finding and killing coyotes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jim87formula Now I use a Thor 1.25-5x which works perfect for my needs, 100 yards or less.

I saw a Thor 1.25-5x at the Eastern Predator Calling Championship last Saturday. I only used it inside the building but the view looked pretty good. If I am correct, it has video capability with sound. Also does this scope have auto NUC or do you have to manually correct it?

Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like the Trail 640 xp50 is a solid bet and after talking to a couple guys about night hunting I was enlightened to the option of running a high quality QR mount like the ZRO Delta and then scanning with the sight and mounting to rifle once the target has be identified. At first this sounded like it would be to cumbersome but after I thought about it I feel like it's totally realistic in "most" situations. Anybody doing this? At some point down the road I will add a handheld monocular to the mix.
Are most folks standing up at night or do you sit as you would during the daytime?

No way would I ever remove the optics from my gun to scan. When two of us with xp50 trails hunt we sometimes dont even bring a handheld. This why the big fov is so important. After use a 640 core you will be ruined and you will have to have a 640 handheld soon too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223No way would I ever remove the optics from my gun to scan. When two of us with xp50 trails hunt we sometimes dont even bring a handheld. This why the big fov is so important. After use a 640 core you will be ruined and you will have to have a 640 handheld soon too.

I agree with this. I'd scan with my rifle before I'd remove/ reinstall my scope. Rest your rifle on a shooting stick or better yet, a tripod to scan.

Last edited:
Back