New Remington 700?

TKCattle

A buddy just bought a Rem. 700 22-250 with a heavy 26in. barrel. Ask me to sight it in said the best groups he could get were 3 in to 4 in at 100 yds. He handed me a box of shells and a different scope to mount on it he thought the scope was bad. So the 1st thing i did was clean the bore. shout 3 rounds he was right about 3 in group. Off with the old scope and on with the other scope. As I am shooting and cleaning the bore the groups keep getting tighter. By now I am out of shells so I work up the old brass and the groups are 1 moa. Not a fan of the brass I was useing {wont say the brand} but the caseings weight was wide spread. My question is will this gun get any better groups.
round count 49 I could play with powder and bullet wt. but just dont have the time.
Its a good bullet wt. for that twist rate and not a hot load.

Last edited:
I would load(or buy if unable) some 52 grain matchking bullets to evaluate the gun. A modest charge of Varget powder is a good place to start.

The 52 gr match kings are the ticket. I have an SPS in .22-250 that I purchased a few years ago. I have yet to find anything better then the 52 gr. I also learned quickly load to the length specified in the manuals and don't try to seat out to the lands.

H380 gave excellent accuracy but is to temp sensitive for me so I switched to Varget. Mine will shoot groups of 1/2" but I changed the SPS stock and added a Timney trigger. Prior to that the best I could do was 3/4" to 1".

Thanks for the input that helps. He doesn't reload so not sure what he will do with the gun, hes one of those guys that buys and trades guns all the time.

This is interesting, my buddy has what I think is the same M700 SPS his is in 223.. His had a 26" heavy barrel that he had cut and crowned at 20 inches. His groups started out not that great either but seem to be getting much better. He was right at MOA to 1.2 inches with some factory 55grn stuff. I gave him a cache of my handloads to try and it really only liked one. It settled in nice with 23.5 of H322 with a 50grn Vmax. I was kinda shocked it did not like some of the Varget and H335 loads. But you know how it goes, rifles like what they like. Same kind of thing you are talking about though, it seems to be getting better the more he shoots it and cleans it. The factory 55grn stuff that was 1.2 to 1.5 MOA is now right at 3/4 MOA. Must have needed a little break in.

Last edited:
Back