Christensen Arms

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3125294 - 01/22/18 11:48 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
pyscodog Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
Just follow directions on the bottle and you'll be fine.

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

#3125304 - 01/22/18 12:33 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
TripleDeuce660 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada
I use wipe out. Between wipe out, like after firing a few shots hunting, I pull a patch of ballistol and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then I follow up with a dry patch or two. I certainly do not miss scrubbing with hoppes and copper remover.

#3125307 - 01/22/18 12:39 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
RePete Offline
PM senior

Loc: Idaho (Clearwater County)
Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014
Originally Posted By: RePete

He said take the sweets on a mop and coat the bore sit a few min and then patch it out until clean and run butches down to kind of kill the sweets and wait a few days and run sweets again and butches again and do this until patches stop showing blue. He does this with his old military stuff.

That makes no sense what so ever. Once you patch out and neutralize the Sweets with Butches it stops working. What good would waiting a few days before applying again do?
Sweets works just fine for Copper removal and doesn't take that much time....just follow the directions on the bottle.

He said what he has noticed on his military surplus rifles is the first round of sweets doesn't get every last bit of copper so by doing it several times your not leaving it in the bore longer to work longer but rather 5min one cleaning, 5 min the next cleaning until its all gone. He said on one of his rifles he purchased that wasn't taken care of like 3 times of doing this he was still getting blue patches. He suggested this due to me being afraid of it damaging the barrel. He also mentioned something about copper with a layer of carbon and then copper again but i really wasn't paying attention to that part.

At the risk of repeating myself...."that makes no sense what so ever".
Once you've removed the Sweets what the difference in waiting three minutes and three days to repeat the procedure?

Again..."just follow the directions on the bottle".

#3125335 - 01/22/18 01:45 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: RePete]
ohihunter2014 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: nw ohio

He said take the sweets on a mop and coat the bore sit a few min and then patch it out until clean and run butches down to kind of kill the sweets and wait a few days and run sweets again and butches again and do this until patches stop showing blue. He does this with his old military stuff.

That makes no sense what so ever. Once you patch out and neutralize the Sweets with Butches it stops working. What good would waiting a few days before applying again do?
Sweets works just fine for Copper removal and doesn't take that much time....just follow the directions on the bottle.

He said what he has noticed on his military surplus rifles is the first round of sweets doesn't get every last bit of copper so by doing it several times your not leaving it in the bore longer to work longer but rather 5min one cleaning, 5 min the next cleaning until its all gone. He said on one of his rifles he purchased that wasn't taken care of like 3 times of doing this he was still getting blue patches. He suggested this due to me being afraid of it damaging the barrel. He also mentioned something about copper with a layer of carbon and then copper again but i really wasn't paying attention to that part.

Once you've removed the Sweets what the difference in waiting three minutes and three days to repeat the procedure?

Not being argumentative but i'm guessing so its not a long term, one time exposure to the barrel but rather several smaller exposures. I'm guessing this way it doesn't have to time start eating metal.

#3125340 - 01/22/18 02:11 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
spotstalkshoot Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: so.mn
Pyscodog, I only see copper residue after 4-5 patches on "strange guns". If my cleaning procedure doesn't get the bore clean,I hit it once with JB and follow with 50/50 kroil and Hoppes benchrest. I use Pro shot jags and do not see jag leaching on patches. The JB is applied to a tight patch with Kroil and 10-12 strokes between chamber and muzzle.

#3125342 - 01/22/18 02:16 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
RePete Offline
PM senior

Loc: Idaho (Clearwater County)

Not being argumentative but i'm guessing so its not a long term, one time exposure to the barrel but rather several smaller exposures. I'm guessing this way it doesn't have to time start eating metal.

Or.....he could simply "follow the directions on the bottle".

You're making absolutely zero sense at this point.....I'm out.

#3125343 - 01/22/18 02:16 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
pyscodog Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
Sounds to me like he has to much time on his hands and doesn't want to finish a job that he started. While I wouldn't leave Sweets in a barrel over night, I think Sweets isn't quite as bad as people lead you to believe. If the directions are followed, on the bottle, I doubt you are going to harm your barrel. I'm with Repete, 3 minutes or three days doesn't make any sense to me.

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

#3126135 - 01/25/18 10:44 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
ohihunter2014 Offline
Die Hard Member II

For you boretech eliminator fans, do i need to buy the boretech special cleaning jag or will my normal one suffice? I think i'm going to pass on the sweets and get the boretech because i need a normal solvent anyways and if it cleans carbon and copper like it says it does its a win-win.

#3126149 - 01/25/18 11:31 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
George Foster Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: NY
As long as you don't use a brass plated jag you will be fine. The brass plated (or colored) jags are what give a false reading of copper.

#3126151 - 01/25/18 11:43 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: George Foster]
ohihunter2014 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: George Foster
As long as you don't use a brass plated jag you will be fine. The brass plated (or colored) jags are what give a false reading of copper.

Mine is all brass unfortunately. I couldn't believe they wanted $7 for their jag.

#3126155 - 01/25/18 12:01 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
ohihunter2014 Offline
Die Hard Member II

you eliminator fans do you use just the normal eliminator for carbon/copper or their specialty stuff for each one? I ran out of solvent so getting ready to pick some up but only want to make one trip. My guns got about 400-500 223rem v max rounds through it so im sure its pretty nasty cause its only ever seen hopps #9.

Also, i found 4oz and 16oz bottles. does this stuff need a lot to clean or just a little bit?

#3126170 - 01/25/18 12:56 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
tnshootist Online
PM senior

Loc: East Tn
I use both but if I was only going to use one it would be Eliminator.
It goes pretty far.
I buy it in 16 oz but I shoot quite a bit and clean fairly often.

#3126206 - 01/25/18 03:08 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: tnshootist]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
My .338 WM has the typical Savage "rough but superbly accurate" barrel. Superbly accurate but fouls heavily.

Recently got a Lyman bore scope and Sharp ShootR CARB OUT, PATCH OUT’,& ‘TACTICAL ADVANTAGE to try. Have been using WIPE OUT foam for some time and will compare WIPE OUT to Patch Out later, but for now concentrating on CARB OUT & TACTICAL ADVANTAGE.

The jury is in. There may be better products out there, but after firing twenty some rounds through the 338 there was ample carbon/copper to work with. Per instructions on bottle, ran wet patch of Carb Out through bore and let it sit 5 minutes. Repeated a couple of times and inspected w/scope....no carbon visible.

Switched to Tactical Advantage: Ran wet patch through bore and it picked up a little remaining carbon; let sit a few minutes, dry patched and repeated a couple of times. Still getting blue on patches but only copper left was where it had been very heavy due to imperfections in bore. TA cuts both carbon and copper.

Let rifle sit overnight w/WIPEOUT FOAM and got rid of most of the heavy copper. Ran wet TA patch through bore and picked up some traces of blue.

This if the first time I've ever gotten rid of all copper short of using an abrasive such as JB or Gold Medallion and the easiest it has ever cleaned up, even after only one to 3 rounds through it when cleaned. According to manufacturer, CARB OUT should be left up to 5 minutes, their other solvents are OK overnight. I'm sold.

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3126323 - 01/26/18 12:31 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
450 Dakota Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Arizona
BoreTech Eliminator for general cleaning. Use their copper and carbon remover on tough ones. Use the carbon remover on my muzzle loader breach plug as well.

#3126855 - 01/28/18 11:01 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: 450 Dakota]
Firehand Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Texas
My question is after all this cleaning how long does it take for the accuracy to settle back in. After I cleaned my 6x68 it took me 10 shots for the accuracy to settle in. I'm not sure I want to clean it that well again.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.