Christensen Arms

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3124807 - 01/20/18 09:35 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: pyscodog]
pahntr760 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Osan, ROK
Originally Posted By: pyscodog
I bought a bottle of CLR tonite to give it a try. Kinda leery but figure I'll give it a go. ANy suggestions on how long to leave it in the bore?

It is a pretty good one. Don't let it cook too long as I have read it can etch the steel. But I can't verify that info...

#3124812 - 01/20/18 10:17 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: pahntr760]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
Originally Posted By: pahntr760
I bought a bottle of CLR tonite to give it a try. Kinda leery but figure I'll give it a go. ANy suggestions on how long to leave it in the bore?

It is a pretty good one. Don't let it cook too long as I have read it can etch the steel. But I can't verify that info...

Originally Posted By: orkan

The first chemical I use in the bore is CLR. Travis Stevens at TS Customs turned me on to this product a few months back as something to try for cleaning my suppressor baffles. CLR is a household chemical which is generally used to clean toilets, showers, sinks, and other items. It's namesake would suggest it is very good at removing calcium, lime, and rust buildup. I've not used it in that capacity, but I'll tell you what it is absolutely amazing at removing: Carbon fouling!!! I push about 5 or so patches wet with CLR through the bore and a massive amount of carbon fouling will be removed. Next I put a VFG aggressive pellet soaked with CLR on the ProShot adapter and scrub the throat. The VFG pellet allows for a back-and-forth motion that allows you to really scrub it good. This demolishes a stubborn carbon ring in record time. To date I've found nothing which takes the carbon fouling out of the throat faster or easier. It takes 30 seconds for rimfires and centerfires with light fouling and no more than 5 minutes for stubborn centerfires with rough throats. The VFG pellet can be "tightened" while in the bore simply by rotating the shaft on the cleaning rod to screw the pellet on a bit more. I used to loathe attacking a carbon ring, but the combination of the aggressive VFG pellet and the CLR makes short work of the job. Below are some before and after images of the throat in a 22lr and a centerfire. While I wasn't super careful about ensuring the scope was in the exact same spot for each picture, it will give you some idea. CLR and an aggressive VFG pellet can do in 60 seconds what would take 60 minutes with my old solvents and methods. ... and it does it without having to use pastes that get stuck everywhere and make a mess.

http://primalrights.com/library/articles/evolution-barrel-cleaning

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3124834 - 01/20/18 10:50 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
Thanks hm!!

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

#3124847 - 01/20/18 11:50 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: pyscodog]
RePete Offline
PM senior

Loc: Idaho (Clearwater County)
Sounds to me like your just hitting the high spots with your cleaning. I have/do use several different kinds of cleaners looking for the magic one but still haven't found it yet. Sweets won't harm your barrel IF you follow the directions correctly. I use Butch's, also use Truly Remarkable which I like, but recently got a bottle of Wipe Out. Its works good too. I find that all of them take some work with patchs and a brush to get the bore clean. JB bore paste is good for stubborn barrels but I don't use it very often. You will probably get dozens of answers to this question I'm sure.

That about covers it.
I use SC because that's what I started with but I'll buy Butches if I can't get SC.
Sweets for copper fowling.
Wipe Out foam's handy in a motel room when shooting colony varmints.
Lots of good products out there these days.
He11....I still use good ol Hoppe's #9 in my rimfires and handguns. Course that'll probably stop when I run out of the old smell good stuff.

#3124882 - 01/21/18 08:52 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
George Foster Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: NY
I have had the habit of cleaning my centerfire rifles every 20 rds for 40yrs now. I have used a lot of different cleaning methods but for the past few years there are two cleaners I use all the time now. I use Bore Tech Eliminator for the main cleaner and then if I have any stubborn copper in the barrel I use Bore Tech Copper Remover. I have never used the Bore Tech Carbon remover as I feel the Eliminator removes the carbon buildup if there is any.

#3124891 - 01/21/18 09:06 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
MasterBlaster Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: SE. Iowa
Bore Tech Eliminater here good stuff.
MB

#3124916 - 01/21/18 11:45 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: MasterBlaster]
spotstalkshoot Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: so.mn
First CLR(especially after high volume shooting or when someone asks me to clean for them). Kroil and patch to remove CLR. Then the Accelerator/Wipe out followed by Kroil. For storage, final is Hornady one shot. I brush only if I encounter a stubborn copper or carbon spot. I have used the JB on 17 bores to restore accuracy.

#3125009 - 01/21/18 03:55 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: RePete]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Quote:
He11....I still use good ol Hoppe's #9 in my rimfires and handguns. Course that'll probably stop when I run out of the old smell good stuff.

Every time my wife gets in my truck, she complains it smells like a wet dog. I don't even HAVE a dog! Well, have to admit it did smell a bit musty ever since I buried it in a heavy rainstorm and wound up with an inch of water on floorboards.

What does this have to do with bore cleaner, you say? I'll tell ya what...Hopes 9 to the rescue. My son gave me this air freshener as a joke.

I have to admit the old truck does smell a lot better now and I found another use for that bottle of #9 sitting on my workbench.....give the freshener a squirt every once in a while and its as good as new again. grin

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3125037 - 01/21/18 05:58 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
ohihunter2014 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: nw ohio
Well I invited a buddy to go to the store with me today in search of boretec and he says I have sweets and butches save your money. I figured ill give his stuff a try while waiting for stuff to be needed for a midway order. I think I found bortec locally but its 30min away and if I call he will just say yeah, I got it and probably wont like they always do.

He said take the sweets on a mop and coat the bore sit a few min and then patch it out until clean and run butches down to kind of kill the sweets and wait a few days and run sweets again and butches again and do this until patches stop showing blue. He does this with his old military stuff.

#3125120 - 01/21/18 09:23 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
pahntr760 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Osan, ROK
That seems amazingly labor intensive and unnecessary. I am not going to commit days to cleaning a rifle when there are products and techniques to do it efficiently.

#3125156 - 01/21/18 10:17 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
I tried the CLR this evening. Seems to work, best I could tell. I ran about 5 wet patchs of CLR through the bore followed up with two patchs of Kroil. Then a wet patch of Wipe Out Accelerator, then 3 patchs of Wipe Out. Let it set about 30 minutes then used a teflon brush about 12 strokes followed with a few dry patchs then more wipe Out and let it set another 30 minutes. Did this three times. I'm using Dewey rods and jags with cotton patchs. I still get some blue on my patchs. Not much but some. Am I still not clean or am I getting a false reading off my jags? A Q-tip in the muzzle end of my barrel shows no copper at all, just bare shiny metal. I don't have a bore scope to look down the bore.

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

#3125157 - 01/21/18 10:17 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
sandy hicks Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: southeast texas
CD that may be what I need to cut the smell of crude.

#3125169 - 01/21/18 10:41 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: sandy hicks]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

It'll help, Jerry. Only thing that smells better'n Hopes 9 is burnin' gunpowder. lol

Regards,
hm

#3125171 - 01/21/18 10:45 PM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: ohihunter2014]
RePete Offline
PM senior

Loc: Idaho (Clearwater County)
Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014

He said take the sweets on a mop and coat the bore sit a few min and then patch it out until clean and run butches down to kind of kill the sweets and wait a few days and run sweets again and butches again and do this until patches stop showing blue. He does this with his old military stuff.

That makes no sense what so ever. Once you patch out and neutralize the Sweets with Butches it stops working. What good would waiting a few days before applying again do?
Sweets works just fine for Copper removal and doesn't take that much time....just follow the directions on the bottle.

#3125235 - 01/22/18 08:39 AM Re: what gun cleaner? Rifle. [Re: RePete]
ohihunter2014 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: nw ohio
Originally Posted By: RePete
Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014

That makes no sense what so ever. Once you patch out and neutralize the Sweets with Butches it stops working. What good would waiting a few days before applying again do?
Sweets works just fine for Copper removal and doesn't take that much time....just follow the directions on the bottle.

He said what he has noticed on his military surplus rifles is the first round of sweets doesn't get every last bit of copper so by doing it several times your not leaving it in the bore longer to work longer but rather 5min one cleaning, 5 min the next cleaning until its all gone. He said on one of his rifles he purchased that wasn't taken care of like 3 times of doing this he was still getting blue patches. He suggested this due to me being afraid of it damaging the barrel. He also mentioned something about copper with a layer of carbon and then copper again but i really wasn't paying attention to that part.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.