Caliber for deer for my boy

champ198

My son will be 10 this year and he's a small frame kid. I'm wanting to build an upper for him to be able to deer hunt with.
Looking at a 300 blackout or 6.5 Grendal. But really don't know much about either caliber. Which do you all think would be better for a young kid and deer
Not looking for him to shoot really far maybe 100 yards at best

6.8 all the way. No hate towards the 6.5G or the 300blk, I own those too, just in my opinion the 6.8’is hard to beat as a beginner rifle. All of my boys and my wife shoot it comfortably and accurately, I love my 6.8’s.

The 6.5 is a great caliber. Up close or out far, it can do it. Plenty of power for deer but not hard on the shoulder or wallet. Go grendel and don't look back.

I have a 6.5 Grendel build that is running an adjustable gas block with a RIFLE LENGTH gas system and a JP silent spring. (18 inch AR15 Performance barrel) It's a soft shooter and the recoil feels like shooting a .223. I like the 6.8 better for terminal performance but I have killed hogs with the Grendel using Hornady 123 grain SST ammo.

The 6.8 SPC will have more recoil but it can be managed somewhat with an adjustable gas block and a hydraulic buffer. I had a first addition LWRC Razorback in 6.8 that had no adjustment for running suppressed and a Kynshot 308 Hydraulic buffer with a JP polished spring made a noticeable difference in felt recoil.

https://www.kyntec.com/shop/

If you are not going to run it suppressed you might consider a Kaw Valley linear compensator to help mitigate the sound a little. He would probable enjoy shooting it more with some of the muzzle gas and noise directed downrange.

https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Compensator-p/kvp-linear-blk.htm

Last edited:
A lot depends on the kid and their recoil tolerance, and laws. Me, I'm testing out the 6X45 as my daughter will be ready to try one in a couple years. I don't expect a 10-year-old to be taking shots over 100 yards, and a 6X45 is fully capable even beyond that range...and is legal where I hunt.

I vote 6.8SPC.
Ive been shooting one since 2007 and love it.
Now i have 6 or 7 6.8 Rifles. 12.5" to 20" barrel lengths.
Use a Adjustable Gas block and a heavier buffer, it will make all the difference. I use a H3 buffer and a Odin Adjustable gas block in both of my 12.5" 6.8s and its about like a heavy barrel bolt action 223.

Id vote 223 and 6.5G before 300Bogus.

I vote 6.5 grendel. You're not looking for him to shoot too far now, but as he grows up the grendels range can grow with him. Guns last forever
smile.gif

Edit: or, well, the life of the owner, anyway!

Last edited:
Everybody should have an AR (223) so if you have one use it. (If you don't have one here is your excuse to get one.) Collapsible stock with a good 62 gr bullet is what my 7 year old granddaughter used for her first deer. She used my 300 blackout with a suppressor for the last 3 with 110 Barnes. (10 now) Very effect at 100 yards.

Back