6mm 55gr varmagedons?

HardwickN

Any one have experience with these. I'm running them in my 6x6.8 they are the hollow point version. I shot a coyote today at about 150yards broadside. I heard a definite whhoopp.. but watched it and his three buddies run off. I'm very comfortable at 150yards so I'm 90% certain it was a good shot. Thought maybe he ran and tuckedd down in one of draws but couldn't find him. Then I shot one at about 150 in the back of the neck and it just punched clean through the front didn't seem like it expandedd at all. I thought these would be explosive on coyotes...

That really surprises me. I had a bunch, and just sold them because all my 6mm are fast twists and they are pretty fragile. I haven't shot any coyotes with them but shot a large feral cat and they didn't exit at 3600 fps muzzle velocity. So I would have expected they would do very well.

The one that ran off, was there a dirt bank behind him that could have made the whhoopp? I've had that happen on a miss and fool me.

He wasn't much of a bank bit that's the only thing I can think of. I'm headed out in the next couple days to recheck my zero. Even with the one I hit I was aiming at the base of the neck and hit pretty high but that shot was also at a good downward angle. Where as the "miss" was a flat shot.

i shootem out of my 243 for coyotes and i always here the whack upon impact as you heard but its always bang flop for me they are drt? i love em

I have some of the varmeggedons in 55G. It's probably me, or how I loaded them, but I couldn't make them fly like the Sierra 3160's. Tack driving with the Sierras at present so I sort of gave up on the Nosler's

I use the 6mm 55 Nosler Varmit ballistic tip Bt. at around 3500 with my 6x68. They are bang flops on yotes out to 300, they always exit with the only exit sign is blood. I have not had one take a step yet. I get the same results with 58 Vmax but the Nosler is more accurate in my gun

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DeadctrI have some of the varmeggedons in 55G. It's probably me, or how I loaded them, but I couldn't make them fly like the Sierra 3160's. Tack driving with the Sierras at present so I sort of gave up on the Nosler's

That's a surprise to me. I just loaded some up in my .243 with Varget and shot five 5-shot groups last weekend that averaged in the 6's. The best group was 0.432" and worst was about 0.790", but I was testing different powder charges. I'll likely find a load that will average in the 5's once I test seating depth and primers. That's good enough accuracy for me.

I can't comment on their effectiveness on game as I have not used them in a .243 yet. They're great prairie dog medicine in a 6mm TCU.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread Hardwick, but I just finished load development with the 55 grain Varmageddons in the .243. The first two 5-shot groups at 100 yards were 0.468" and 0.487". Then I moved the target to 200 yards and fired two more 5-shot groups at 1.067" and 0.605". So, that's four groups that average 0.447" at 100 yards, and that gives me a sub-half MOA load. I'm running 44 grains of Varget and I'm getting just over 3700 fps. I'm going to Nevada next week for varmints. I guess I'll see how it works and report back.

I'm back from Nevada where I shot jackrabbits and white-tailed antelope ground squirrels using the 55 grain Varmageddon HP in the .243 Win. All shots were from 50 to 150 yards. This bullet pretty much disintegrates small varmints. The jackrabbits were nearly torn in two. The bullet impact sounded like hitting a stack of down pillows with a baseball bat.
I didn't take any coyotes, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. However, I can't imagine that they wouldn't be tremendously destructive on coyotes. If you hit one and it ran off, I don't think it went far. I would bet that even if you hit one on the outer margins, there would be plenty enough damage to knock it down or draw some blood.
I'm pretty happy with the load and the bullet performance.

Last edited:
Back