Instructions on Howling.

Wow, this thread is really helpful. I am just getting started and am working on my howling every day (mainly in my truck on the way to and from work so far).
I have one question, for the interogation or locator howl the Randy Anderson cd that came with my calls said to move your teeth from the deep part of the call to about half way down then back about half way again. Is holding a constant pitch better?
Also, I live and hunt in Iowa, does howling really not work well here?

howling should work anywhere! coyotes will howl wherever there is a dense population of coyotes! its what they do! every coyote will howl. now the randy anderson call may be set up differently then the ones explained here! you just have to practice and find the "sweet spot" of the howler. a constant pitch is what you aim for however if your pitch messes up a little bit then its ok the coyotes wont be very alarmed.

I really appreciate this post!
thumbup1.gif

Hey Tony, I can get a ptetty good howl with the TT Extreme, but the Ki-Yi is giving me fits. Is the Extreme compatable with the ki-yi?

The extreme can do a pretty good ki-yi if you don't push it too hard. I prefer the aggressive arc of the Mini call's toneboard for the best ki-yis.

Tony

Thanks Tony for a very informative post. It clarifies alot for me when I hear some howls in the night, and I have a much better idea of how to respond to howls, or how to start them.

Yep,after listenin to these sounds, I have a lot of work to do. Wrexx, my Lab, Does not like the pup in distress call. Know that for a fact.

If you don't mind old school, Gerald Stewart produced a cassette tape on coyote vocals that is one of the better things he's done.

CT402 Gerald Stewart - Secrets of Succesful Coyote Howling

so where else can a guy turn to here more detailed sounds with a description of each sound. Instruction. This has been very helpful and can't get enough.
Thanks

Back