Tree stand for coyote hunting?

Sawgunner2001

After deer hunting a 130 acre piece of private property (owner doesn't hunt), I've realized there are a ton of coyote there. One walked right under one of our stands, but it was early in the season and the guy who was in that stand passed on the coyote waiting for a deer. Now that deer season's over, the property owner wants the coyote culled to protect his pheasant population.

Is it logical/feasible to drop a coyote caller 20-40yds away from the stand and sit in the elevated stand for coyote hunting? I ask because this seems so logical to me, but I never have heard/seen anyone doing it...

I hunt this a way a few times a season. After deer season ends I call out of some of my deer stands. Baiting would be the way to go if you can get roadkill or some guts.

After deer season is over it's well worth trying before you pull the stands.Normally I wouldnt hang stands for coyotes.However since the land owner asked you to cull them I'd do all I could just to keep good relations going.

I have taken many coyotes from elevated blinds over the years. Farmer here are glad to see me after deer season as they complain coyotes on their deer properties. Some have run deer off their corn piles. Pic from trail cam
image.jpg

Some pics of ones taken from blinds over the years. Not all were doubles but the elevated blinds do made double easier as you can see so much better and farther when they stop to look back. Have missed a lot of double too.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

You can do it, but they might get wise to it pretty quick. So unless you have a portable tree stand your success might be limited. We have god success hunting from ladders. Had them walk right by. Doesn't have to be that tall. They are quick and easy to set up and transport.

Visibility is a plus, however most tree stands leave more of you skylined and any movement is easily picked up. Deer have a completely different perspective than coyotes. Deer are used to looking around ground level for danger, not up as much. A coyote will spot you up in a stand a lot faster than a deer. From what I have seen they are a lot more alert coming into a call, unlike the ones I shoot during deer season from a stand that just happen to be walking by at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Back