Who's been checked by authorities while packing a can?

Not that it relates to me. The law is the law. If it says an ATF agent then that is what it means. Now if the state you live in says something else than fine. That is the problem now days. I mean why make them get a warrant. If you have nothing illegal you should just let them search your property. Right? I understand what some of you are saying, but the trampling of our rights over the past decade or so has got to stop.

It's ok to reduce it a certain amount, by FFL rules I don't remember the exact amount but it makes it a little bigger than a drivers lic. Then have it laminated and I keep a copy of those in my trucks, wallet, everywhere.

I have a copy in my can case and pictures on my phone.
I hunt on private land so I do not get ask.
Got ask at State shooting range once. He just want to shoot it.
If I got ask by a LEO. It is no big deal.
It is like when I talk to a LEO. I say "I am armed".

Building a DIY home built Form 1 can used to be very easy when eForms were still up and before the darn fingerprint and passport photo requirements with trusts. My From 1 for my suppressor was approved in 45 days, it's the one I'm currently hunting with. Had it engraved with my Form 1 info so it's all legal and everything! lol. I built it in my garage with a pair of vice grips and a Dewalt hand drill. Those were the days.

As far as keeping the paperwork handy, I have a binder with copies of my stamps (form 1's and form 4's). I keep that binder in my truck or range bag. Keeping them on you or with the gun is fine, but when the number of forms goes above 10, it's kind of a pain in the butt. Even two shrunk down copies stuffed in a grip gets kinda hard. I've been stopped a few times while carrying NFA and only been asked once to 'prove that they're legally owned' (as he put it). I told him the forms were in a folder under my backseat, and that satisfied him. I had three sbr's and four suppressors in my possession that day, he thought the MP5 was pretty cool.

Anyways, I also don't care too much about keeping the copies on my phone. My phone is locked with a passcode and it will take a warrant to get into it. What am I trying to hide? I'm just protecting my rights for unauthorized search and seizure, fourth amendment and such. I've only had that happen one time in college, I won't get into that story.

Of all the times I've been stopped, either for traffic violations or for hunting license checks, showing respect and answering yes sir no sir, I think, has saved me hundreds of dollars. Getting snotty really doesn't help anyone and if they want to they can make life very difficult. Going back to the "you're not an ATF agent so I'm not showing you squat!", generally, a cop isn't going to haul you to jail unless, you know, you're doing something wrong or withholding information from him. I see a stop as an opportunity to show off some NFA items to a maybe curious officer and to answer any questions they have. To date, I haven't been stopped by an LEO who thought they knew it all. One Texas Highway Patrolman had to keep checking back in with his car because we stood on the side of the highway talking about guns for 45 minutes.

By now everyone must know " the law is not the law". Hilary and Bill not in jail. "Undocumented" still in the country. Probably best if you are not one of the ruling elite or needed for future votes,,,cyoa.

Many law enforcement officers don't really know the limits to their own authority, nor do they always really know the laws they're paid to enforce.

I had a game warden trespass and blow a hunt for me once, he was trolling around, saw a truck parked on a half mile road (private property entrance), then glassed me a half mile into the section. He came out to cite me for poaching, because I was using an SKS with a standard box mag installed - 10 rounds. He stated the x39 was too short for hunting and that mag capacity was limited to 5rnds. Both were incorrect. Nonetheless, he trespassed and detained me... I challenged him to find either law in his "big book," when that failed, he called Pratt (KSDWPT LE head shed), and an hour later, he realized how little he actually knew about our laws.

Being right doesn't mean you won't get shot for arguing with an officer and refusing to comply.

Was headed home from the lease the other night and got onto the toll road in front of the Highway Patrol doing 92 in an 80 mph zone. When he approached my car and told me why he stopped me, before I moved I told him my suppressed AR was in the back floorboard and I did not want him to see it and be surprised (My back windows were down as well as all my interior lights were on so he could see well).

The only 4 things he checked out were my DL, insurance, rifle, and can. Neither of us ever once mentioned paperwork.

I have never been asked to show my paper work.

My family has the upmost respect for police officers. A moment of reflection to think on what it is that they do for a full time job for such little money is sickening.

When one shows up into my life i believe they can feel honesty and respect from me. For some reason, i just don't have any problems.

I have a copy of my NAFA paper work rolled up like a cigarette in my sopmod stock.

Also a copy on my phone.

I have seven predator/varmint rifles on which I use suppressors. I have made miniature copies of my tax stamp documents and then laminated them. I keep a copy of those laminated forms inside the elasticized shell holders on the stock of each rifle. Here are photos of four of those rifles with the shell holders on the stocks:

ubeGsFX.jpg

lBBETsx.jpg

Xvsp9xL.jpg

uGHECWd.jpg

I also carry a full-sized copy of the trust documents I used when I purchased my last two suppressors and full-sized copies of the documents I used to purchase my first suppressor and keep those in my pickup.

I have never been stopped by a game warden, and while I believe it is the Federal officers who have the right to see your suppressor paper work, I would definitely be willing to show the game warden my paperwork too.

Last edited:
Have run into BP agents on ATVs many times on our lease in south Tx. We are about a 5 miles from the border. I always have a suppressed SBR in the ranger. Only once did one ask about it and it was just because he was curious. I let him fire a few subs at a prickly pear and he was tickled....said “I gotta get one of these”

I keep PDF copies on my mobile devices in case I’m ever officially asked to present the docs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldTurtleQuote:You would be amazed at how many LEO dont even know the law about guns in general, much less NFA stuff....It's not the ones that do know the ins and outs, but the uneducated, with bad info or rumors, that you need to be wary of...

Quote: Has anyone built there own? I have a buddy who is a machinist, maybe could save a few bucks.....Unless he has a federal license to manufacture, that's about 15 years in a federal pen and a huge monetary fine...Back in 1968, when the "Welfare" riots were going on and officers were being sniped at from roofs and fire escapes in Kansas City, I was carrying an unauthorized M1 Carbine in my patrol car...A machinist buddy was willing to make it full auto and I wouldn't put him in that position...I would take the department heat for an unauthorized weapon, but not willing to go through a federal investigation,,,

The hypocrisy of this post is hilarious.

The only person(s) that will be allowed to check my paperwork will be an ATF agent. Period!

DOW Officers, State and Local LEO do not have a right to see your (Federal) information, we go through the ATF to obtain our $200 tax stamp, the ATF is in charge.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanLocal LEO can haul you to the jail house and hold you until a ATF agent can get there too. Be it a few hours or days.

Are you an attorney??

I just spoke with a DOW officer here in Colorado.

He states the following -

1. Have a copy on your person when you are in possession of your suppressor.

2. If you have a friend or relative with you and they are using your rifle and suppressor you must be with them and following rule #1

3. He states he can and will ask for your paperwork.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisI just spoke with a DOW officer here in Colorado.

2. If you have a friend or relative with you and they are using your rifle and suppressor you must be with them and following rule #1

Did you tell him he’s not a Fed and he has no authority to ask, and you will not show him your paperwork?
And you would sue him if he detained you for the maximum of 20 minutes, like you said in the post you deleted?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisI just spoke with a DOW officer here in Colorado.

Did you tell him he’s not a Fed and he has no authority to ask, and you will not show him your paperwork?
And you would sue him if he detained you for the maximum of 20 minutes, like you said in the post you deleted?

That is exactly what I told him!!

Back