22 Creedmoor

I totally agree with this thread that everyone needs a Hot Rod 22 cal heavy bullet coyote killing machine. I ran the ballistics on my 22-243AI with 80 amax at 3558 fps.. vs... the 22 creed with 80 amax at 3400 and they are pretty dog-gone close... by listing them both with a .231 G7 BC.

My 22-243 will shoot another 150 fps ...BUT... it's not needed... and the 22 creed won't really need anymore as well. Mine would go up to 3700 fps...BUT Not as accurate as at 3558.

Just to show you a comparison... at 600 yds... with a 10 mph cross wind... my 22-243 only does 3-3/4" better with less bullet drop and 1-1/2" less bullet drift that the 22 creed... that ain't much of a difference...that still puts it in a coyote.

I zero mine at 300 yds, which makes it's highest bullet rise of 2.78" at 150 yds...(creed 3.14) and 6.87" (creed 7.63") bullet drop at 400 yds. I hold dead-on for coyotes up to 350 yds, and on their backs at 400 yds. You never have to move a turret until you pass 400 yds.

But of course if you don't like that much rise at 150 yds, then bring her on down more...BUT... you are missing out on the true advantage of a hot rod heavy bullet combo...and you can always aim a tad lower at those close range shots if you want to hit them dead on... but a 2-3" rise bullet impact on close range shots, will kill them all day long. But once again... if you don't want... a kind of dead-on hold... out to 400 yds, then lower your zero range.

When I first started with my 22-243AI, I wondered now and then if I had the best BC setup for long range... so every time someone posted their hot rod caliber and high speeds, I'd add it to my BC Program and compare it with the hot and heavy .22 caliber bullets... and none really compared in bullet drops and bullet drifts...ONLY MY 20-250AI 3770 fps, with 55 bergers stood toe to toe with it. As a matter of fact...they are really identical out to 600 yds...then the 22 edges out the 20, but only slightly.

My point to this whole thing is.... YES SIR.... GET YOU A HOT ROD- HEAVY BULLET- .22 CAL COYOTE KILLER.

AMEN...LOL.

EDIT..PS... this rifle has become my favorite deer rifle. When shot in the shoulder on purpose.. Big Bucks have NO CHOICE but to dump right there.

Last edited:
I run my 22 creed at 3500 with 80's without issue. I could only ever get my 22-243AI shooting well up to 3550, so the 22 creed is a no brainer for me.
smile.gif

Maybe I'm wrong, but a nearly 3" high @ 150 would be pretty easy to shoot over a coyote in the 125- 160ish range . Myself it's easier to hold over or dial than remember to hold low. All depends on what you wanna do.

Originally Posted By: orkanI run my 22 creed at 3500 with 80's without issue. I could only ever get my 22-243AI shooting well up to 3550, so the 22 creed is a no brainer for me.
smile.gif

What length barrel are you running, 26"? IIRC, you are running 80vld/43.0 of H4350.

Originally Posted By: orkanI run my 22 creed at 3500 with 80's without issue. I could only ever get my 22-243AI shooting well up to 3550, so the 22 creed is a no brainer for me.
smile.gif

Some barrels are faster than others. Always good to get the fast one.

It slips my mind, so without looking... Is the creed a small primer ?

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: orkanI run my 22 creed at 3500 with 80's without issue. I could only ever get my 22-243AI shooting well up to 3550, so the 22 creed is a no brainer for me.
smile.gif

What length barrel are you running, 26"? IIRC, you are running 80vld/43.0 of H4350. Indeed!

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: orkanI run my 22 creed at 3500 with 80's without issue. I could only ever get my 22-243AI shooting well up to 3550, so the 22 creed is a no brainer for me.
smile.gif

Both. Hornady and Alpha brass is large primer. Lapua brass is small primer.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: orkanI run my 22 creed at 3500 with 80's without issue. I could only ever get my 22-243AI shooting well up to 3550, so the 22 creed is a no brainer for me.
smile.gif

What length barrel are you running, 26"? IIRC, you are running 80vld/43.0 of H4350. Indeed!

Gotcha. My 22" has the 80.5's at 3393 with 42.2gns of h4350. Plenty nasty on critters.

I have a 26" Brux varmint barrel and load up 50.2 gr Retumbo with cci br primer. H-1000 is also a very good powder... even a tad hotter.

PS... Tim... 2.81 is the highest rise... the bullets will hit lower at those other ranges you mentioned... 2" high at 100 yds... which is close to what most people sight in to anyways. 50 yds is 1/2" high.
250 yds is 1.87 high. 150 yds is the HIGHEST PEAK of 2.81".

I would do the 22 creedmoor if I had it to do all over again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: orkanI run my 22 creed at 3500 with 80's without issue. I could only ever get my 22-243AI shooting well up to 3550, so the 22 creed is a no brainer for me.
smile.gif

Both. Hornady and Alpha brass is large primer. Lapua brass is small primer.

Thanks

It's entirely possible and likely that alpha will have small primer large flash hole brass for 22 creed in the future.

Originally Posted By: orkanIt's entirely possible and likely that alpha will have small primer large flash hole brass for 22 creed in the future.

I hope so. I was tickled to death to see brass and then saw it had that gaping hole in the case head. Why not a SRP from the beginning?

It certainly is trendy to run small... but I too have zero issues running large rifle primers. I don't see a problem. The small primers fool guys into thinking higher than recommended pressures are safe, when in fact they are not safe.

With a standard 6.5 creedmoor load, I was able to reload one piece of alpha brass over 40 times before it had a split neck. If I'd have annealed it during testing, who knows where it would have given up.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI am not currently convinced I need a SRP at this time....definitely not sure enough that I want to have my bolt bushed.

Fun Hater!!
sneaky2.gif
thumbdown.gif

Back