Help me decide on new rifle.

Kevin Neal

I am wanting to buy a new rifle and have narrowed it down to a Remington model 7 predator in 223, a Howa mini action in 222 with either the heavy barrel or the standard barrel, or possibly a Tikka t3 in 223. If anybody has one of these tell me what you think. I have a Tikka t3 in 22-250 so I know how they shoot. Rifle will be used for a light predator hunting rifle.

A reloader can dumb down your .22-250 to either .222 or .223
performance.....just sayin'.
bored.gif

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneA reloader can dumb down your .22-250 to either .222 or .223
performance.....just sayin'.
bored.gif

I'd rather have a second rifle....

My vote is for the mini action in 222 or 223. You already have a full size, hard hitting predator rifle. Go with a small mini action, as cool as the 222 Rem is, I say go for the 223 as it is so plentiful and brass is everywhere. The 223 cartridge is also a handloaders friend because it is so easy to load for. If you do not reload then 222 Rem would be awesome as well.

I have had most makes but not all models.
Settling on the Tikka's and Sako's has been enjoyable.
The T3X has improvements that show. Having both .22-250 and .223 is nice at times.
I really like the Superlight model with fluted barrel and5.9 lbs.
The Tikka's chamber a round so smooth that I have opened the bolt to double check that a round is actually in.
Accuracy has been very good and I have had no failures or shortcomings with many rifles over a decade.

I have a Mini Howa in 6.5 G. and am looking forward to one in 222R as it is one of my favorite calibers(I have three right now), I also shoot a Rem 600(Model 7 is a clone of it) that started as a 223 in 1966 and still shoot it as a 6x45. I also own a 22-250 semi custom Rem 721 with a LVSF barrel set in a Rem 700 ADL stock.

I'd go with the Rem Model 7 Predator in 223, I like the looks and feel of the rifle, there is a small enough difference between the 222R and the 223 that you might not even notice it unless you want to toss heavies with it.

There is enough wrong with the Howa and not much support in the after market that you have to tinker on your own with them, the Model 7 is pretty well supported.

I have a Remington BDL varmint special in 222 now so I reload for 222 and 223. I have never owned a Remington model 7 or a Howa before so thought I would try something different. I do have a love for the 222, it is one the most accurate calibers that I have ever had, but I do agree that there is alot more going for the 223. Just trying to decide which one I want.

I'm not a fan of the tactical look and can't figure out why one would want an extended mag sticking down out of the bottom of a rifle on a predator hunting rifle, if you can't get it down with the first 4 in a bolt action I doubt having six more is going to do much better. That said shortening the Howa Mini mag. is an easy job and shortening the mag release just as easy as they are both plastic,

My Howa Mini trigger is getting better, it was gritty, had some creep and slightly heavy. I've backed off the adjustment screw and it has gotten better, there is only one adjustment and right now as far as I know there is no replacement, even the 1500 trigger is enough different that you have to do some surgery to the trigger guard to make it work. I'm going to try and order a lighter spring for it. I understand that Timney might build or modify their 1500 trigger to fit.

This won't be your first rodeo with the 222R so there won't be any disappointments with it.

If you don't mind tinkering go for the Mini.

My HB 6.5 Grendel in a Boyds Laminate, 6.5-20x44mm scope, mag w/4 rounds and butt bag with a couple AA batteries(for decoy) is 8 3/4 lbs. The pencil barrel, light 2-7 scope and synthetic stock should get you under 7 lbs and be a dandy little calling rifle.

Last edited:
I have a Tikka T3x lite .223 with a Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 and it is a sweet rig. I took it to the 100yd range to sight in with a few boxes of different factory ammo and the thing shot sub MOA with hornady 55gr vmax it also shot pretty well with the other stuff I had but it liked 55gr the best. Havent shot a coyote with it yet but I have no doubt it will get the job done if I do my part. I use shooting sticks when I rifle hunt and sling the rifle over my shoulder, I feel it is just right for a walking/calling rifle.

Originally Posted By: spec.223 Ruger American/Predator and put a muzzle brake on it.

What is the benefit 'of having a muzzle brake on a 223? I know a lot of guns have them but I’ve never really understood what benefit it provides. I have a nice titanium brake for my rifle but I’m not using it. If it’s beneficial I’m definitely going to try it out.

I have a 204 Ruger and a 223 in the Howa Mini Kyrptk . Hard molded stock and 20" barrel both are light weight even with the Vortex 6.5 X 20 scopes and both are suppressed. Easy to handle and shoot lights out. I filed off the mag release so it just ketches my finger. This took care of any dropped magazines. These 2 rifles are my favorites out of many when calling coyotes. Also they both came with triggers that were set at 2 1/2 lbs. of pull. Rudy

I vote for the Remington 7 Predator in .223

I have the same rifle paired with a VX-2 3-9x40 w/ German 4 reticle and it is about my favorite rifle for calling. Its light, quick handling, and accurate.

Back