Coyote or Coyoteee

Ki (as in kite) yo (as in Yo man whats up) t (as in the sound of the letter T) e (silent)

Coyote

Yotes, Yoties, Coyoteeeees in type or pronounced, just sounds wrong to me

Coyote (silent E), Yote and the one I use the most is Sneaky Bastard, usually followed by “outsmarted my dumb azz again”.

I was taught to pronounce it as "ki-yote" when I was very young, by my dad, grandpa & great-uncles.
smile.gif

So that pronunciation has always been the way I say it.
smile.gif

When I hear people say it a different way, my reaction depends on whether I am in a good mood, or grumpy, at the time.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I don't like the "E" pronounced at the end either. I don't mind "Yote" because it is just short for the word. I don't like "dog" because we get enough bad press and haters the way it is and calling coyotes this will make it even worse.

Another one I really dislike is a recent trend I have been seeing calling them "Pasture Poodles." Some seem to think this is clever, but it bugs me.

I've heard prairie dogs called pasture poodles for 40 years. Always thought it sounded dumb. But I don't think I've ever said anything about it to anyone. But If I ever heard anyone call a coyote that I'd probably have to say something to let them know they are sounding like an idiot.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Kirsch
Another one I really dislike is a recent trend I have been seeing calling them "Pasture Poodles." Some seem to think this is clever, but it bugs me.

also seen pooch, mutt, doogies and some other goofy ones. i picture a person with big thick glasses and a pocket protector full of pens and pencils using those words.

sorry if that description fits anybody here.
smile.gif

I grew up in Montana. Always said coyote (silent "e"). Heard people from Arizona say coyotee. Maybe there is the Spanish influence in the SW. Non hunters seem to say coyotee when trying to impress. I silently roll my eyes. I now live in ORYGUN.

With a little Texas drawl to it, Ki oat

When i kill a big male I may refer to it as a dog if I am talking to someone that is on the same page as us. Never refer to the females as beeches though. That would be rude.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTPinTXKi-yote. Most ranchers around here pronounce it dam ki-yote though.

lol.gif
This is how I do it too !

Originally Posted By: AWSAccording to Merriam Webster either pronunciation is correct.

Yeah, but who ever reads the instructions, anyway?
wink.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

I look at it this way, when someone pronounces it "coyotee" they are not in the "know" so to speak. I don't correct them but it is a dead give-away to someone who has little knowledge or background in predators or predator hunting.
In defense to most incorrect pronunciations, I think most of us can blame it on the cartoon

I too pronounce it with a drawl (ky oat).

I also frequently refer to predators as dogs and cats, and figure if the person I’m talking to is stupid enough to get offended then so be it.

Coyotee is fine.... until you turn 12.

Yote is one of my least favorites, even though my partner says it.

Pasture poodles and song dog annoy me as well.

Back