favorite 223rem powder/bullet combo?

ohihunter2014

Im looking for suggestions on 223rem powders for use with 50gr V max, 53gr v max 55gr V max and Nosler Varmegeddon BT/HP. I have tried h335 with 55gr v max and wasn't impressed so tried h322 and benchmark but running low so figured try something else. I have IMR 4198 on hand for 45-70 and see i can use it for 223rem also. Any luck with it? I'm looking for accuracy and flat shooting. Shooting a bolt action

Mainly shooting paper and varmints 100-300yards. I also was wondering if a powder has a lower CUP/PSI rating will it give me a little more barrel life?

BTW i tried searching but the white search bar is gone!

Last edited:
Interesting ...
I run H335 in 2 diff 223AI with bullets 53, 60, 62 and 75 gr. G-hog kills out past 600, so it works pretty well. Not all rifles like the same thing, even though H335 is pretty easy to load.

Why not just get more Benchmark ?

Missing search bar ? I'm looking at it right now...weird

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeInteresting ...
I run H335 in 2 diff 223AI with bullets 53, 60, 62 and 75 gr. G-hog kills out past 600, so it works pretty well. Not all rifles like the same thing, even though H335 is pretty easy to load.

Why not just get more Benchmark ?

Missing search bar ? I'm looking at it right now...weird

I started loading right in the middle/end of the crisis so i told myself once i find a good load with something and its gone ill try another for a backup just incase things go south again i wont be running around trying to find one powder. I can only afford a pound at a time or else i would just go buy 8lbs of benchmark and horde it. Plus i like to tinker.

I tried H335 from start almost to max with cci 400 and 450 primers 55gr v max, sp, HP and half inch groups at best is what i could get but benchmark touches 5 shots at 100yards.

I just figured out the search bar. The white banner you used to type in is gone and now i guess you have to click on the writing "official predator masters search engine". I don't remember it being this way before.

1 big jug of powder isn't hoarding. Having 6 or more per powder, might be though.
tongue_smilie.gif

Search through the manuals and see which powders will work with mutiple calibers that you own. That way you can keep larger stocks of things that will work in what you have.

For me
204,223,35 rem = h322,
223,243,708,308 = varget, 4064,4895
243,708,308,270,280,300mag. 4350,4831

While some powders are not perfect matches, like varget and short barrel ars, they will work. I atill have rifle specific powders, but I only buy them when well stocked of the others.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI can see the white bar and the writing up top

Huh, that's crazy! I don't see the white bar you type in but when i click the writing it takes me to another page that's white and says PM search. Its like it links me to another website.

I said 8lbs of benchmark and horde it. Lol.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksSearch through the manuals and see which powders will work with mutiple calibers that you own. That way you can keep larger stocks of things that will work in what you have.

For me
204,223,35 rem = h322,
223,243,708,308 = varget, 4064,4895
243,708,308,270,280,300mag. 4350,4831

While some powders are not perfect matches, like varget and short barrel ars, they will work. I atill have rifle specific powders, but I only buy them when well stocked of the others.

I figured one of the 4198 because i can use with 45-70 also, IMR 3031. I have heard of guys using h322, h335, benchmark and varget in 45-70 also but i tend to just use what's in Lyman or Hornady manuals. I use Hodgdon data sometimes more for a max cause sometimes Hornady is pretty low. I only own 223rem and 45-70 calibers so its a coin toss.

For less than 62grain bullets my favorite is Benchmark. For 62's and higher, Varget is my favorite. I have used many different powders over the last 35 years but for the last 10 or 12 the two mentioned above are my clear favorites. As a bonus both are also very good for several other calibers that I frequently shoot, too. We see some huge temperature differences here in Indiana. Both powers mentioned have shown proven temp. stability too.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Im looking for suggestions on 223rem powders for use with 50gr V max, 53gr v max 55gr V max and Nosler Varmegeddon BT/HP. I have tried h335 with 55gr v max and wasn't impressed so tried h322 and benchmark but running low so figured try something else. I have IMR 4198 on hand for 45-70 and see i can use it for 223rem also. Any luck with it? I'm looking for accuracy and flat shooting. Shooting a bolt action

Mainly shooting paper and varmints 100-300yards. I also was wondering if a powder has a lower CUP/PSI rating will it give me a little more barrel life?

BTW i tried searching but the white search bar is gone!

Varget, Benchmark and TAC among others but those 3 I use more of in my 223's and 223AI.
BTW I wouldn't worry about barrel life in a bolt action 223 shooting groundhogs even shooting colony varmints it should last for many thousands of rounds

H4895 behind a 53 gr V-Max has killed a lot of prairie dogs at the hands of myself and two other buddies that run the same combo. We push them right at 3400 fps and the combination of speed and high for bullet weight BC in a varmint bullet just hammers the p-dogs while shooting flat and bucking wind pretty well. You may have luck with other powders but if you can get it to shoot, I would go with the 53 gr over the 50 or 55. It has the highest BC of any .223 bullet 60 gr or under that horandy makes and you can push it plenty fast.

Originally Posted By: chzH4895 behind a 53 gr V-Max has killed a lot of prairie dogs at the hands of myself and two other buddies that run the same combo. We push them right at 3400 fps and the combination of speed and high for bullet weight BC in a varmint bullet just hammers the p-dogs while shooting flat and bucking wind pretty well. You may have luck with other powders but if you can get it to shoot, I would go with the 53 gr over the 50 or 55. It has the highest BC of any .223 bullet 60 gr or under that horandy makes and you can push it plenty fast.

Right now I'm running the 50gr for punching paper at 100yards cause they are Z max and cheap and shoot pretty well. 55gr v max I've been using for woodchucks at 24gr benchmark and cci450 but I keep hearing that 53gr is the bees knees so ill pick up a box and see. Thanks for your reply!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SeebassI run 26.5g of Varget with a 50g V-Max in my .223. It does the job!

Yessir. 26-26.5 grains of Varget, CCI BR primer, 50 grain Vmax or Ballistic Tip bullets. Sure has killed a passel of critters.

What do you guys think of Nosler Varmegeddon BT vs V max? I see Nosler go on sale quite a bit but don't know anything about them. They also have a better SD and BC than Hornady but cheaper for some reason.

Last edited:
I like them both, the nosler varmageddon has a more secant ogive that likes to be loaded longer with a flat base that allows more room for powder.

If your magazine allows for a longer bullet try the varmageddon.

Back