RedFox rut just around the corner here in Michigan

Tim Neitzke

Did a little tracking in the fresh powder today. After knocking down a coyote , I went looking for a second. Saw a fox laying out in the middle of a worked up bean field. So it won't be long now, as the one I saw was a female. Per my journal we are about 5-6 days from some good action.
thumbup1.gif

When I start seeing pairs of Red Fox laying out during the day, I can shoot a couple different males off of one female over 10-14 days. Almost always the male will lay upwind and slightly higher if snow and terrain allows. It seems like after I see breeding, the same females will be in the dens more and I can get that last male outside the den.

Do you guys have any sounds that you recommend for hunting during their breeding season? I've never heard of a fox-in-heat call that I can recall....I have a fox crying sound on my Primos, that's about it.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeToday 19th is a good day every year for fox. 2 fell to the shotgun today !

Congrats Tim, we sure are seeing a lot more fox over the last 2 years in my area.

Thanks guys !

Fox are doing well here .

Killed another fox with the shotgun today. Also, got a black brindle coyote with the 17-204 @ 338 yards.

Back