Leupold VX6HD and others

rhunter2

I am looking at the 3-18 VX6HD with a firedot classic reticle. The scope will be used on a 223AR as well as an occasional trip out west on a 7 Mag. I didn't start my search with this scope. I was looking at Meopta R2, Zeiss Victory, Swaro Z5, NF NSX 2.5-10x42. All of these scopes can be found for similar money if you are talking used. By similar, I am saying from $1000-1400. This is a lot of money for me for a scope and I really cant line these scopes up in one group to compare. On paper, I keep coming back to the Leupold as it has about everything but I don't think it excels at anything. The new HD seems to address the issues with the regular VX6. However, I still hear some quality control issues. I actually looked at a new HD over the weekend and it had a speck inside the lens. I hunt coyotes at night and it is not legal to use lights. I have a heck of a time picking up the center of the cross hair on moonlit nights on the VX3, and thought the firedot would be the answer. Sorry for the long post. I would like to hear from anyone that has experience with these scopes. Does the firedot go dim enough to not wash out night vision? Maybe the glass is good enough in the Swaro that you don't need an illuminated dot. The leupold is hard to beat on paper. Thanks in advance for any input.

There is no way in heck I'd pay the amount of money that a Leupold VX-6HD sells for when European made scopes can be bought for the same amount or less.

Check out optics planet, euro optic and our other site sponsors. Some very good deals on swaro,zeiss,leica. Some nice stuff under 900

Last edited:
I have a v6 3-18x50 firedot it's great glass in low light and the firedot is awesome you can adjust the brightness to near nothing to bright. Meopta is good I have a meopro in two scopes not as bright as my v6 but great price. My meopta is the lower end one not sure if it's same glasss as there more expensive one. And remember the turrets I think are in different measurements v6/meopta.

I hunt almost exclusively at night no lights just moon and snow. I got a nightforce shv. Huge improvement over the Nikon coyote special I had. I'm really interested in the new Zeiss v4 and v6. The v6 might be out of my price range though.

I just finished writing a review of the new ZEISS V4 scopes. It should show up soon on Long Range Hunting forum. I can tell you that you would not be disappointed choosing one of those over the other Optics you mentioned.

I have the regular VX6 3-18x44 w/ firedot. It’s the cats [beeep] for night hunting. Like was said earlier, you can turn it down super low and it makes finding the the center so much quicker. I’m a Leupold fanboy so my opinion is a little biased.

2 issues with illuminated dots, brightness control and size. For centering on coyote at night(usually 3-6 power to match useable light transmission and shot placement) the dot should be 1 to 1.5 moa. For me this works very well with moonlight and snow to about 250 yards. The brightness control needs to adjust low enough to provide contrast between the dark form of the coyote and the dot. I have a couple scopes that have an illuminated reticle and are to bright, washing out the background, which is worse then not having any illuminated aiming reference.

Last edited:
Back