Stupid mistake cost me $100

Forest Ghost

Brought a coyote and a bobcat to the fur buyer, was gonna view his shop and get some pointers, he ended up only buying the coyote pelt($20 in the green) was gonna do $100 for the bobcat(carcass) and give more depending on the auction but I failed to realize I needed to get it sealed from the game department in order to sell! The cat was a roadkill some guy asked me to remove which I happily did. Fur buyer was a 3 hour drive. Oh well. Super nice guy, very knowledgeable and I’m gonna be happy to do more business with him. Especially once the cat gets sealed. Note to everyone- if your commie state requires a seal don’t space it just because it’s a roadkill.

Cities tags are federal but issued buy the state. All states require them for sale and export across state line. Only exception is California where sale and export of bobcats is unlawful.

Yup. And for some dumb reason I totally spaced it. Buyer was super nice and even called up a warden buddy. Just sucks with how far I have to drive to get it sealed.

Bummer, but yes CITES is what is required. Our game wardens have certain days and times they come by areas to tag cats. Might give him/her a call and see what yours do.

Called the warden and I guess I’m out a kitty too. Washington only allows the use of hunted/trapped animals. So they can’t give me a seal and I’m supposed to dispose of the cat. Also if I get caught with an unsealed cat he had a list of consequences. Note- Washington sucks. I’m moving.

Originally Posted By: Forest GhostCalled the warden and I guess I’m out a kitty too. Washington only allows the use of hunted/trapped animals. So they can’t give me a seal and I’m supposed to dispose of the cat. Also if I get caught with an unsealed cat he had a list of consequences. Note- Washington sucks. I’m moving.

so you told the warden it was road kill and he told you they wont give you a seal unless you trapped or shot it?

I told him it died but wasn’t hunted or trapped by me. I know if it’s hit on a highway which by Washington law is any road then it’s state property and illegal to pick up. This was a private road which I thought was a gray area. And I was told it has to be disposed of then- not hunted or trapped. Not even supposed to do an at home tanning or anything.

Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerI had a game warden stop and help me skin a deer on a county road a couple years back, didn't even ask for my driver's license

Gotta love Wyoming!

Got a road kill fisher couple years ago, got the county sheriff who got me in touch with the local DNR warden he gave me a tag but it cost me $25. Took it for mounting as it really wasn't damaged.

Back