BUFFER WEIGHT HELP WITH THE 22 NOSLER!!!

east tn_yote

I have been reading that people are puttin a heavy buffer in the 22 noslers to rwduce brass marks on the heads of the brass. And jus wonderin how heavy of a buffer will be best!! The 3.8 ouncers or the bigger 4 ouncers!!?

Start with the 3.8 if you must but I just use an adjustable gas block and that helps quite a bit right there in keeping it closed longer. In fact from 17-223 -458 SOCOM a standard buffer does fine in all of mine and I have a lot of all of mine.

I can say this last batch of brass is far better than the first literal junk cases they sold.

Greg

I went drastic on mine. H3 (5.4oz) and a heavy spring. and it still eats the nosler brass on a hot round.

the weights and springs needed are dependent on the distance of the gas port to the end of the barrel. the longer gas systems seem to be much easier on brass.

I have a white oak 24" barrel with the extended gas system that I use the H3 and heavy spring that requires no gas adjustment.

also have an 18" AR Stoner barrel with the same setup that could use some adjustment to the gas system on a hot round.

keep in mind that I am using handloads that create much more pressure than factory ammo.
I did some handloads for another member using an AR Stoner Barrel that cycle his gas system but when he tries factory 62gn ammo the gas system doesn't cycle in cold weather.

I took my rifle length buffer apart, left all the steel weights in it, took out the spacer and added 1 1/8oz.of 7 1/2 shot, with the buffer the way it is now you can fine tune the gas to get ejection where you want it.

Last edited:
I run the standard rifle buffer set up and use a nonadjustable gb but it is on a WOA with rifle plus 2 gas length. Seems to keep the swiping to a minimum. I originally had a the same barrel on rifle length gas and it was noticably worse.

Last edited:
More important than gas port location is gas port diameter.

If your AR is over gassed, it's over gassed and a heavier buffer will not fix it.

If you're running a carbine RE, you should be running an H2 buffer. Better is the A5 RE with an A5H2 buffer and Sprinco green spring.

Once you got the right buffer (H2 or A5H2) you tune gas flow to match. This is done in one of three ways. Correct gas port diameter. Adjustable gas block from SLR. Or a Custom Tune Micro Port kit from BRT.

The easiest method for the shooter is to use the SLR AGB. Easiest way to tune the AGB is to use the lock back check. Place a single round in the magazine and load & fire the rifle. Keep closing the gas block until the rifle ejects but does not lock back. Then, open the gas block one click and verify it ejects and locks back. Open one more click to allow for heavy fouling and extreme changes in environmental conditions.

Back