Do you coyote hunt where you deer hunt?

Xdm40rajuy

I'm new to this forum and Coyote hunting. I normally only coyotes while I'm deer hunting in Nebraska. In November, my brother In law and I shot 3 and was able to make $110 from a fur buyer. So to extend our hunting season, do our part and make a few dollars, we decided to hunt coyotes year round. We know there are coyotes where we hunt deer because we see and hear them. So the question is, do any of you who deer and coyote hunt? If so, do you hunt both in the same area? My reason for asking is, it seems if we hunt coyotes year round and where we also hunt our deer, come deer season we might not have much luck hunting the deer. Is this correct thinking or am I thinking too much into this?

I coyote hunt the same woods. The deer are used to hikers, ATV, and horseback riders, they come right back.
Great way to scout for next year also, find the hide outs, season has only been closed for three weeks.

Coyotes' favorite food, fawns. I wouldn't do it a few months before the season, but would hammer them after the season is over and really hard during the spring before the does drop.

Thanks for all the replies. I thought it could possibly be a problem if I did hunt there all year. I think it is a good plan to not hunt the areas a few months before season started. We are just getting started and learning the ins and outs of coyote hunting. As for now we just need to see what works to bring in some coyotes and bobcats before the fur buying season is over.

Originally Posted By: stick manDon't expect to make money on hides after they are out of prime. We dont plan on it. We have until the end of February to make the money off of them and cats, then we can use the other time to hone our calling skills, so next year when it's time to make money off the pelts, we are ready!

I can only speak for the areas that I hunt in S Tx., but I hunt coyotes while I deer hunt (and the rest of the year as well). May actually be the other way around, as, truth be known, I'd rather hunt coyotes, especially after getting this one in 2006. Took me a couple of years to realize that particular bucket list had been completed.
34852468733_7989d59b92.jpg

Shot a couple of 150 class bucks after and still have plenty of nice bucks around, but coyotes are the challenge today.

Still seeing plenty of nice bucks, though. This one, which was toward the end of the rut, had obviously been fighting.
34859674554_f9597e90e6_c.jpg

This young fellow came up after season closed a few years ago and is the only picture here that was taken outside of deer season.
35662435066_c20e84f4b1_z.jpg

I remember this one, which came within 20 yards of my highchair in the middle of a string of bunny distress. I did mute the call when he first stepped out and proceeded to approach, but he obviously knew from whence the serenade had come.
35920443510_5d9a4165c0.jpg

This is one of my favorite buck pics, taken a couple of years ago.
34820365764_5b6a41aa73_c.jpg

....they're still here
lol.gif
35621712346_f5484723c7_c.jpg

I'm sure that if you're hunting a small piece of property, too much pressure could affect deer habits. I hunt a fair size piece of private property which has a healthy deer herd (and where landowner is very serious about predator control). Have done so year 'round since 2003 and seen no change in deer behavior. YMMV

Regards,
hm

Those are some beautiful photos of some great bucks!

Over the years, I have had to delay or interrupt my shooting at firing
ranges until the deer passed through. The most memorable was a buck
very similar to the last photo, knew I was there and totally ignored
me. For a few months after shotgun season, deer are much more afraid of
a slow-moving pickup truck or walking human than the crack of a rifle,
at least in this part of NE Iowa.

Great deer pics.
If I didn't hunt both on the same ground there would be no hunting. Animals figure out pretty quickly what species and sex is being pursued.

Quote:Over the years, I have had to delay or interrupt my shooting at firing
ranges until the deer passed through. The most memorable was a buck
very similar to the last photo, knew I was there and totally ignored
me.

Funny you mentioned that, Danno. My son's time is extremely limited and late in the season last year he finally found time to get down to the ranch to try and fill his freezer, having only two days to spare before end of season.

His rifle had flown since he last shot it and zero had not been checked so he headed to the ranch rifle range, priority one. We hung a target & he set up on the bench just as this buck stepped out.

No before pictures, but here's the after:

Not willing to chance the possibility of rifle zero being off, he fired at target which was no more than 20' from where the buck stood, watching us.
27371141739_09e0ccccd4_z.jpg

I was spotting target and deer was also in the field of view of my 10x binoculars. The buck flinched at the shot, but froze in place, here is buck's view of the shooting bench.
24289130607_d17312f13f.jpg

... so I said, "You're on, buck is yours if you want him." A split second later buck was on the way to his freezer.
38268502395_0a23e4019d_z.jpg

Nice management buck and was really tender.
27371145719_e897003a57.jpg

He made indicated sight correction....and we were off to do a bit of predator hunting for the remainder of his free time. Called in this kitty (protected in that pasture)
35529878371_e2992b8f3b_c.jpg

and a coyote which my son shot.
35177064793_682032a833_o.jpg

It don't get much better than that in my world.

Quote:Animals figure out pretty quickly what species and sex is being pursued.

Boy, you got that right, Mark!

Regards,
hm

Great pictures Clarence.
I do the same thing. My jbl bluetooth speaker fits good in a pocket on my pack and is waterproof. If i hear ki oats from my deer stand,I change gears. I have also filled a doe tag with fawn distress right from my deer stand.

Do the deer a favor and kill them where you deer hunt.

I do without issue.

Last edited:
When I hunted deer, it was deer season and a family get together and only lasted 9 days, I only hunted deer. I didn't have the right rifle for coyotes and didn't bring my pelting gear. I did run a few mink traps to pay for gas as I could just throw them in the freezer until I got home.

Since moving away from family deer hunting is pretty boring so it's ducks and coyotes and I do that at the same time. Even to the point of leaving my dog in the boat to make a few stands behind the blind(in WA we can't have a dog present when coyote hunting)

All the time. I think a lot depends on the property and time of year but if it's winter and you have food sources for the deer, they probably wont go far. If you have a small piece of timber you certainly risk running them off but if there are coyotes around you might as well kill them. I'd rather kill the coyotes that run the deer off than just run the deer of myself.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksGreat pictures Clarence.
I do the same thing. . . . I have also filled a doe tag with fawn distress right from my deer stand.

Do the deer a favor and kill them where you deer hunt.

I do without issue.

Me, too, Jerry. Whitetail does come a'runnin' when they hear fawn distress as will just about all of the exotics on ranches I hunt, especially the females. They will also come to other distress sounds as well, but I don't believe they have quite "the attitude" so much as just being curious.

This young nilgai cow thought the foxpro & mojo (barely visible at right side of pic) were pretty interesting; have had waterbuck, scimitar horned oryx, gemsbok & others approach as well.
39106118012_ba6fb29133_c.jpg

but not limited to females as evidenced by this bull Sable.
24275476357_539ebd102f_c.jpg

I once had a coyote coming on a string to fawn distress from an adjoining ranch only to have four whitetail does intercept him and keep him from crossing the fence repeatedly, and they were plum PO'd! Kept coming back to the fence long after the coyote left.
cursing.gif

Regards,
hm

Like HM1966 I killed this guy in the same area that I had killed coyotes several days before....

gaBarNg.jpg

He was busy still trying to find does but was running with several other bucks. It can work but I would not put a huge amount of pressure on the area if it is small.

Just my thoughts.

If im deer hunting and a coyote comes by I blast him. Late summer/early fall I lay off calling much on my place. Deer don't know you are just hunting coyotes and coyotes don't know you are just hunting deer, your presence puts pressure on them both. Mature deer get to that age by living in areas with lowest pressure.

I hunt coyotes on our lease where we hunt deer but I refrain from shooting ki-oats until I have filled my deer tag. I don't want to spook deer shooting at the dogs but the rest of the year they are fair game because the ki-oat eats everything I pay to hunt: deer (as fawns), upland game birds (pheasants, chuckars, huns & quail), and ground squirrels.

Back