Speer or Sierra

Tooltime 2

Speer or Sierra 52gr boattail HP for less fur damage on fox?? .223
I know I've read guys like the 52's but I cant remember which manufacturer.

John

The Speer 1035 has always been good for me in 22/250 and .222.the best thing is MidwayUSA has them on sale for 9 cents a bullet right now. The Sierra # 1400 53 grainis also great but it is twice that price.

52gr Speer flatbase hollow point is the fur saver SP-1035. I works in a surprising wide range of cartridges for me also from 222 to 22-250.

Agree with the above posters. Speer 52 works great out of my AR's. Shot them to 300 . They also shoot great out of my 22/250 also. Was shooting NBT's and Sierra Blitz Kings but the price is getting a little too high,not that they don't shoot great though.

McGraw, thanks for the tip. I just ordered some. I have been using the Sierra 52 BTHP for years. Need to try these out.

Speer bullets do perform well, but I have rarely seen a Speer group well. Fyi. Not a longer range bullet. At least not in my experience.

I think the flat base trumps for accuracy from close to 300 yards. Longer distance than that is where the boatail comes into play for me.

I blew foxes almost in half with a 22/250 and 52 speer, surely could not post the pics. I shot a load of 34.5-35.5g of H4895 and a cci br-2. I did have good luck with coyotes with the speer 52g hp, but I did try and keep the bullet off the shoulder.

For foxes and speer 52, I would start off with a load of 12g of Blue Dot and work up in .2g. You will hit pay dirt with not blowing up foxes with this load most of the time.

ackleyman, while we’re on the subject of the Speer 52hp. Do you think it would hold together ok in a .223 8 twist barrel . I just have a bunch on hand and would like to try them on this new rifle. It’s a 25 inch Bartlein. I figured you would know if anyone would. Thanks.

I have shot them out of my Ruger 1/7 in 22-250 and I didn't have any trouble with them. I only load to middle of the reloading book because they worked good for me with that charge. I will be trying them with my 223 Ruger Precision 1/7 twist. When I work up the load for that rifle, just waiting for the scope to arrive. Rudy

We have AR matches a few times a year shooting from 200 out to 500 meters on Silhouette's.
The 52 grain Speer hpbt holds together well with my 8 twist 223 wylde pushed with Benchmark or 8208xbr.

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaI have shot them out of my Ruger 1/7 in 22-250 and I didn't have any trouble with them. I only load to middle of the reloading book because they worked good for me with that charge. I will be trying them with my 223 Ruger Precision 1/7 twist. When I work up the load for that rifle, just waiting for the scope to arrive. Rudy
Thanks Rudy, since they worked in your 22-250 speeds with that twist I should be alright then.

Originally Posted By: bumpWe have AR matches a few times a year shooting from 200 out to 500 meters on Silhouette's.
The 52 grain Speer hpbt holds together well with my 8 twist 223 wylde pushed with Benchmark or 8208xbr.
Good deal bump, much appreciated!

Well after cleaning up the reloading bench I found a new box of Hornady 52gr hollow points.
Im going to load them an see how fur friendly they are on fox with a .223.

John

Back