savage barrel maker/what caliber?

The Cream of Wheat method of fire forming is one way to do things, but fireforming a loaded round sounds more fun! There are certainly great advantages of the AI version. I know folks around PM that take their 223 AI out to 1K on steel. Not that the standard 223 can't when done right...the AI just gives you more speed to get there faster and flatter.

maybe you missed what this guy wrote?

Originally Posted By: whyNo, 223 ack imp is not for benchrest. You have a gun smith re-chamber your barrel to an AI chamber and then you shoot standard 223 ammo in it and when you eject the empty it will be a 223 AI case and you load it using 223 AI dies. The new case will hold a little more powder and give you a little more velocity. You will still be able to shoot and hunt with standard 223 ammo if you want. Goggle 223 Ack imp. I am shooting 53 gr v max @ 3600 in mine and have killed gh's at 650 yds with it.
One more thing is that you won't need to trim your brass as often with an Ack Imp case.

ohihunter2014 said:
I'm thinking about rebarraling an axis 1 223rem to another caliber possibly in a varmint contour. anyone have a decent barrel maker that's not going to put me in the cost of a new rifle? How about a caliber for shooting varmints and paper?

Jim @ Apache gun works does awesome work. Had him do a 338-06 and a 6x45 barrel for me. First shots out of my 6x45 where .300” ctc without load development. Only paid 190 for the barrel. Great guy to deal with and does excellent chambering work

Last edited:
Back