How many?

Austin, if I answered your question, I’d get “No Way”! Lol.....but I’ve kept logs since I was a kid, starting in 1978.....but I will say, called, killed my 1st coyote in 1971 in Ohio with my father and grandfather.....still to this day, I still log everything! But certainly not boasting here....killed 206 coyotes, 111 cats, 4 lions, 264 greys, 28 reds last season from October 2016 till October 2017, my very best year was almost 10yrs ago....333 called and recovered coyotes...still trying to beat that, but honestly I’m not sure it will ever happen? I’m obsessed as you know buddy! Lol

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvAustin, if I answered your question, I’d get “No Way”! Lol.....but I’ve kept logs since I was a kid, starting in 1978.....but I will say, called, killed my 1st coyote in 1971 in Ohio with my father and grandfather.....still to this day, I still log everything! But certainly not boasting here....killed 206 coyotes, 111 cats, 4 lions, 264 greys, 28 reds last season from October 2016 till October 2017, my very best year was almost 10yrs ago....333 called and recovered coyotes...still trying to beat that, but honestly I’m not sure it will ever happen? I’m obsessed as you know buddy! Lol If you told me you've killed 10,000+ predators in your lifetime I'd believe it. You're a critter killin machine.
thumbup.gif

I started thinking about this and I know mostly everyone's logging only called in coyotes as kills. Not this guy, if I catch one napping while I'm walking out to make a stand I'll bushwhack him and say "squeak!" after the bullet smacks him. I gotta count freebies too. I haven't resorted to counting wounded coyotes as kills yet but after reading those numbers I might have to start just so I can make my numbers sound better.LOL

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvAustin, if I answered your question, I’d get “No Way”!

I know you kill more cats than anyone I know. Your sick with it.

I do keep a log annually in a date book. I don't know how many total over the years. I do consider my season from early fall to late spring. I dont have time in the summer..however if the opportunity was there I would gladly take it.

I've killed 25 coyotes in 4 square miles. 15 this Winter and 10 last Winter. Spot and stalk and calling both. That's the only real number I can give. The only reason I know that is because that's the most coyotes I've ever seen in one area. There's still 6 that I know of that I haven't killed there. Seems like every time I shoot one two more show up.

The reason I've started sneaking out there and killin them is because there's normally more than one out there. I'll kill as many as I can without ever turning on a call to avoid educating them. Once I get two or three killed and I know one or two are left in that area I'll call them up. It's been working pretty well so far.

Aside from those I shotgunned two coming to the call so far. One in Oklahoma,one in Kansas. Killed another one with the 22-250 in a new spot. Wounded two I think or maybe three. Missed a few,winded by one,saw by another. Called up a double for a buddy of mine,he missed. My brother killed 2 and wounded one when he was with me. Another buddy of mine and I called a big male up and he shot it. There might be a few more but so far that's about the extent of it. I've done okay calling for no more than I've been out. Just haven't killed that many. I counted 18 by me 2 for my brother and 1 for my buddy. Which makes 21 out of 30 coyotes killed not counting wounded ones. Not terrible but not that good either. I'm slacking big time.

Last edited:
I think that we all hunt for different reasons. We also go through all the different stages of being a hunter. First you just want to connect, then you want the most, then the biggest. Me, I am more into the experience, so I don't keep records. I did for one season, where I put down 67 coyotes, but I didn't record my foxes or bobcats that year, but that was the last time I did that and that was a long time ago. I mainly focus on having a good hunt these days.

These are some amazing numbers and I don’t doubt any of them. I know without a doubt that the pros in the U.S. are a majority right here on PM, which is why it is the best site on the net for predator hunting, and will continue to be. I won’t post my numbers, due to the fact that I am not a pro and it will be more humiliating than boastful.
smile.gif

As far as the journals that many of you keep and your fathers have kept, that would be awesome to be able to view some of the entries.

It's been tough keeping track of these stellar numbers over the years, but somehow I have managed.
I've killed precisely 1 coyote and 2 foxes in my lifetime.
I know, it's impressive.
What's even more impressive is that I have killed every one that I have ever shot at...I need help

Last edited:
Yeah there's some real killers on here. I'm not one of them but I thoroughly enjoy the experience each time out. 10 killed so far this year, 15 last year. 5 or 6 a year the last few years before that. Been hunting for 7 years now I think. I learn something each time I think.

Well, since some of my hunting brothers are humbling themselves, here goes. I have killed (2) yotes since I’ve started hunting heavy in the last 4 years. I would have killed more but I started off like many, thinking the .17 hmr was the cat’s meow when it came to a coyote rifle. I will not mention how many I’ve shot, but let’s just say there are more than a few yotes out there, limping around and seeking revenge. I watch my back when hunting alone.
smile.gif

Called in many more, and am recently changing strategies to see if the numbers go up.

God, that crow tastes awful!

I know numbers vary from state to state. Coyotes aren't runnin amuck everywhere and I realize that. Some places are tougher calling I'm sure whether it's from hunting pressure or the numbers just aren't there. There ain't nothin to be ashamed of. You can put the best predator hunters in the world on ground that doesn't hold coyotes. You know how many they'll kill there? That's not a trick question.

If you can put "years" behind how long you've been calling even without much success my hats off to you. You ain't got any quit in you and that says a lot about you in my book. For what that's worth.

Last edited:
I want to add, that in absolutely no way, was I trying to "brag" about my numbers.
Nor do I consider myself any kind of "expert".
Just experienced.
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI know numbers vary from state to state. Coyotes aren't runnin amuck everywhere and I realize that. Some places are tougher calling I'm sure whether it's from hunting pressure or the numbers just aren't there. There ain't nothin to be ashamed of. You can put the best predator hunters in the world on ground that doesn't hold coyotes. You know how many they'll kill there? That's not a trick question.

If you can put "years" behind how long you've been calling even without much success my hats off to you. You ain't got any quit in you and that says a lot about you in my book. For what that's worth.

If I had to attribute my success over the years to anything, it would be 2 things:

...I didn't buy my first call, and start trying to learn how to call coyotes, until 1995.
However, I had been learning & hunting coyotes in another way, since 1972 (age 8) at my dad's side.
In the way he did it, he was amazingly knowledgeable about coyotes & their behaviors.
(He kept a copy of the book "Coyotes In Kansas", a study done by K-State University and published in 1957, in his closet. During my pre-teen and teen years, I read and re-read that book many times.)
Dad also had been hunting the same area of the state since the early '50s.
He knew the land.
And, he knew the likely places that coyotes were bedding.
He instilled in me, at that early age, to observe every experience closely. And commit it to memory.

...And secondly, when I was hunting hard, I didn't confine my hunting to the local area.
The larger the area I could find hunting spots in, the more chances I had of locating fresh ears to my calling.
Of course, this was when Kansas' WIHA tracts weren't hunted as heavily as they are today.

I really like reading everyone's responses, no matter which end of the scale they are on.

For sure there are some absolute stone killers on this site. Myself I just piddle around with it, trying to kill 15-25 a year.

I use my fathers method for counting. "Probables" just flat didn't cut it for him. Even if he was 99.9% sure he killed one, if he didn't verify it, it was no good. There were some of them that he was sure he killed but couldn't find them initially. He would wait a few days to go back. Once it started stinking he would walk back and forth downwind of where he thought it dropped until he smelled it, then walk upwind to find it. It wasn't about pumping the numbers, it was about self-honesty. When he was alive it was really only me and him that knew how many he killed, so he wasn't trying to impress anyone. He was a very meticulous person though, just the way he was.

Man he hated to see a coyote get away. Maybe that is another reason he went to such lengths to find them sometimes. He missed plenty, just like all of us do. He would have slumps, just like all of us do. Then he would have killing streaks as well. Reading about his difficulties has helped me keep from getting too frustrated during my tough times, and keeps me plugging away.

All this may sound like I only know of his calling experiences through his log. That is not true. I would go calling with him every now and then. For much of the time he was calling we only lived a couple blocks apart, and I would see him several times a week. He would always be telling me about this stand or that stand, or the coyotes he killed (or missed) that day. I was newly married though, with 2 boys in school, trying to be a good father to them. It just seemed I was too busy most of the time. Plus he was retired, and could go a lot when I couldn't.

I don't think he ever really thought anyone would care to read his logbooks after he died, and I don't think he took that into consideration at all as he wrote them. He did it for himself, just because it was a hobby he was very serious about. They probably mean more to me now, than they ever did to him. I do think about my kids some as I write mine. Which probably means they won't ever read them, LMAO. Dad never drew maps to any of his stands, and I really, really wish there were a few of them he did. He had some really successful spots he called, that I am still trying to figure out exactly how he called them. I know, every predator caller must make his own way, and find his own success. But a couple of his sweet spots, I just can't quite put my thumb on them.

I’ve predator hunted for as long as I can remember, started out fox hunting with my dad and brother, there were no coyotes around our area at that time.....that was the 2 foxes I’ve killed, both at night with a shotgun and JS cassette player.
My buddy and I unsuccessfully tried hunting coyotes as teenagers but we knew basically nothing. The one coyote I killed was a lucky turkey hunt where I happened to spot a group of coyotes and managed to call 2 in with a hand-call.
In the past couple years, in my mid 40’s I’ve found myself increasingly restless and I’ve gotten back into hand loading, shooting and most recently some serious predator hunting. I’m fortunate to have my father with me still and we do all of this together for the most part.
Anyhow, thanks for post, it was a fantastic question.

What a person does for a living, other hobbies, family situations, amount of land to hunt, population of coyotes, experience, equipment, etc all play a part. The main thing is we are all hunting.

Personally, I used to hunt many species of game and now all I do is coyote hunt when I get a chance. I do keep a mental track each year, but wish I had logged it over the years. Most years I harvest between 50-100 coyotes. This year has provided more hunting opportunities. My number since Sept is 97 coyotes. Had some family health issues after Christmas so this number has been sitting at 97 for too long, but hopefully soon I will get out and break the 100 mark. Good hunting to all.

Well its pretty easy for me, 7 since I started 3 years ago. Don't feel like I'm doing that well. Seems like some of you get that many in a morning hunt.

Casey

I started predator hunting in 1968 when I joined the San Diego chapter of the California State Varmint Callers Association. I hunted pretty regular and won enough of our monthly hunts to win the 1969 "Champion Hunter" trophy. I don't know how many Coyotes I have killed over the years but there were many along with many Bobcat, Fox, Badgers and Raccoons.

I stopped hunting all together in 1972 as life and family etc. got in the way, then started again in 2004 quit again in 2008 and have just started again this year and have yet to kill my first Coyote BUT I know I will, and soon.

I have really enjoyed reading all of the responses, some of you are real killers with a capitol "K".

Marcos (elalto)

Even without detailed logs or a sober memory; I have a suspicion that the more times you go out and hunt, the higher your numbers will go.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Even without detailed logs or a sober memory; I have a suspicion that the more times you go out and hunt, the higher your numbers will go.
Without a doubt. Can't kill them from the couch that's for sure.

Badgers and raccoons were mentioned as well. I've called in a ton of raccoons. The first time I actually ever saw it work me and a buddy of mine called at least 15 to 20 (maybe more) raccoons out of a junk pile. I've never in my life seen anything like it. That trash pit came to life when we turned raccoon fight on the FoxPro on. I've called many in since that day. When you get a mess of them like that it's like an arcade game shootin at heads popping up,raccoons walking across old refrigerators and whatnot. If you haven't tried it....you're missing out. In Texas at night we've called them up and had them run under the truck. They'll try to climb the truck tires if the call is sitting on top of the cab.

As for badgers,I've seen them go down their den and lip squeaked them back out,ran them down in an open field and shot them with a pistol a lot of times. Most of the time if they make it to their den they'll stop and turn around to look or dive in it and peak back up to see what kind of danger is around. But on December 1st last Winter I called in my first one. Actually had it come to a call. I can without question say I've killed over 100 badgers in my life. The majority have been head shots because they always seem to have to take one last look around. Not bragging by the way but I know I've shot my share of those rascals. Pretty cool animals really,but not that smart. Curiosity gets the best of them more times than not.

Last edited:
Back