A simple thing I can't figure out.

kam582

I can't figure out what the deal is. When I'm sizing .223 with my Rock Chucker more often than not the primer is not getting kicked completely out and the casing will hang up in the shell holder. I'll have to stroke it again and then the primer will fall out. I've tried to set the decapping pin lower, way more than the recommended 3/16 of an inch, but it still does it. Any suggestions?

I've had that happen, usually with worn primer pockets. The primer sticks on the decap pin and reseats itself in the pocket a little. Just have to bump it back up before you extract it from the die. So come down just a little then back up and it should fall off.

Sometimes brass with crimped primers will not push
clear of the primer pocket.

As said above, lower the decapping rod a bit more.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterYou could square off the decapping pin a bit and that should possibly help your issue.

Greg

This is what I did also. The rounded tip of the pin would stick to the primer and pull it back inside the case just enough to keep the shell from sliding out.

Originally Posted By: rustybucketOriginally Posted By: GLShooterYou could square off the decapping pin a bit and that should possibly help your issue.

Greg

This is what I did also. The rounded tip of the pin would stick to the primer and pull it back inside the case just enough to keep the shell from sliding out.

A fellow on AR15ARMORY just had the exact thing happen the last Friday and the fix was the simple recontour on his RCBS die.

Greg

Turn your depriming punch in a little more. Make sure the expander ball doesn't hit and bottom out in the case. Also polish and round the tip of the punch. Too square tip and it will bind in the spent primer and pull it back in.

Back